main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

There's no such thing as an abridged SW book, right?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthRealLife, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRealLife

DarthRealLife Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2002
    I'm relatively new to the EU, so I've just recently finished SOTME. On one of the first pages, just before the introduction, there's a little teaser-excerpt that's supposed to be a taste of what the book will be... I thought. When I actually got to the passage in the text, there were several differences in wording. I thought they might have changed the excerpt to suit someone who hadn't read the book yet (taking out the reference to Hin, for example.) But the last two senteces of the excerpt didn't need to be changed. So why were they? Was it changed, or was the book changed?

I'm usually not such a sucker for these details, but since canon-ness is so important, it would be a nightmare to readers and collectors if more than one version of the text exists. The Del Rey paperback has the exact same text as the original hardback, right? There's no such thing as an abridged SW book, is there?

2. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm not sure if there are abridged SW books or not, though I know that they have bits cut - e.g The Apprentice was originally going to be part of Dark Journey, and there was a cut bit between Luke and Face that was going to appear in Rebel Stand. Ok, being a relative newbie to EU, I hope you just understood all that stuff I rambled on with. 8-}

3. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    If not, Apprentice is a short story that takes place in the novel Dark Journey.

I think the excerpts in the front are swiddles around a bit, to make them more accessible. Or something. It's done in the WST. (Wraith Squadron Trilogy, X-Wing #5-7)

4. Elven_Jedi_Maiden

Elven_Jedi_Maiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2003
    I know that just about all of the audiobook versions of the novels are abridged, but the actual books? I don't think so. At least I've never seen any. :D

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    They often edit the teaser they put at the beginning of the book, to make it more immediately exciting, and not to spoil anything.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    One of the sci-fi book club editions of one of the AC Crispin books is missing the Epilogue. This is more a printing error than an abridgement though.

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Gotta go with Mastadge on this one. Most of the older teasers I can think of tend to leave a little something out.

8. DarthRealLife

May 5, 2002
    The funny thing is, this teaser added something about Leia's hands quivering that wasn't in the text. I don't know why they did that.

I was a little suspicious because on the copyright page of SOTE, there's a comforting bit of info that says NOT A WORD HAS BEEN CHANGED from the original. None of my other books has this.

Then there's also the typo-ridden DW preview at the end of Traitor. None of the typos were actually in the book. But then, it's only a preview. And obviously the publishers change other things, like maps in the same NJO books, the spine of the paperback SBS...

Just a little too close to what happened with LOTR. Before FOTR was a movie, there was a little teaser at the end of the book about the two towers, ORTHANC and MINAS MORGUL, in TTT. Now that the books are being reprinted with movies covers and stuff, that little bit is gone from some versions. Why? because Minas Morgul doesn't fit with the movie. and of course the text isn't abridged...

But it's still manipulation. I hope that never happens to SW.

By the way, does "Tales from the Mos Eisly Cantina" have a story called "The Butcher of Montellian Serat"? My friend told me it did (I think), but when I looked through it at the bookstore, I didn't see that story.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't recall if that is the title, but that is a nickname of one of the characters in the book.

10. DarthRealLife

May 5, 2002
    Mm. Thanks.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    DarthRealLife: The story you want is in the 'Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina'. It is called "Empire Blues: The Devaronian's Tale". And if you want the end of the tale, his capture by Boba Fett is in the 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters' book in "The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.