main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"There's still good in him"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Baks, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baks

Baks Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 30, 2003
    Both Padme and Luke say this line.

So how come is that only Anakin's wife and son only believe that Anakin can be redeemed while Obi-Wan and Yoda do not?

Obi seems bitter with his failure in teaching Anakin and Yoda is regretful but they don't seem to show any hopes that Anakin can ever be redeemed - they both have seem to have given up on Anakin too easily on this in my opinion.

2. An_Aussie_Fan

An_Aussie_Fan Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2004
    I would say that Anakin gave up on the Jedi first. Not the other way around

3. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    So how come is that only Anakin's wife and son only believe that Anakin can be redeemed while Obi-Wan and Yoda do not?

Love is blind.
    Family is always the last to believe the worst about someone.

And, Obi and Yoda have a much deeper sense of the betrayal that Anakin commited. They visibly saw the dead younglings and jedi.
    Anger, and a grudge, do they carry.

4. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I don't think that Obi-Wan and Yoda are angry with Anakin. Anakin is dead, and they recognize that the man that exists as Darth Vader is not the same Padawan they trained.

If anything Obi-Wan is more frustrated with his own failures than anything else. Repeatedly during the duel, he goes on about how he fails Anakin, and even at the end when he says "Don't try it", I think a big part of that is that he hopes he trained Anakin better than this.

There is a lot of projection going on when Luke's training begins in ANH and into ESB. Obi-Wan is trying to make up for his failure with Anakin in training Luke, still trying to see his responsibility through to the end. Yoda sees that Luke will have to carry on his role as head of the "Jedi Council" so Yoda tries to mold Luke into the Jedi he should have been. Through this, Luke is given a positive image of Anakin, who the Jedi loved, and a negative image of Darth Vader, who is a Sith sworn to destroy the Jedi.

The important thing to note is that Anakin was never really destroyed, and the only people who can look past that are the people who can see his weakness, Luke and Padme. Padme tells Anakin that he's still a good person despite it all while Obi-Wan is much more harsh on him. Yoda writes him off completely.

I think Obi-Wan senses the good during the duel at points, especially as his failure dawns on him and he realizes what he's doing. Especially at the end where he knows he's going to slice the crap out of Anakin and potentially kill him and he tells him "Don't try it." But, once Anakin DOES try it, and he's left as a heap and his eyes turn yellow, Obi-Wan sees that Anakin is gone. From that point forward, it's not that Obi-Wan stopped caring about Anakin, he just saw that he was no more.

5. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    well they are family so they kinda automatically come to that idea, however, yoda and obiwan believed that there was not path back to the light after someone when to the dark side, which for the most part they were right

6. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    When i first heard the line when she said it I couldnt tell if she meant Anakin or Luke

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Obi-Wan saw the holograms of Anakin killing innocent children. It is hard to conclude that he is still good, after seeing that kind of evidence.

Then on Mustafar, Kenobi watched as Skywalker choked his own wife, the carrier of his child, the love of his life-how could there be good in him?

Yoda felt it all in the Force, it was clear that Skywalker had been consumed by the darkness and was no longer the boy they knew.

-Seldon

8. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I think Luke experienced the love of his father when he proposed that he should join him. Even though Vader is twisted, he is still able to have feelings for his son, so he is not altogether evil. Padme also knew that Anakin loved her, even though he did horrible things to protect her. Vader is still capable of loving, but his way of manifesting this love is twisted. Only, when he destroys the Emperor does he show his love in the right manner, i.e. by sacrificing himself.

9. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    Well luke was the only one to feel it, cause he brought it back out in him, maybe yoda and obi had given up and maybe they also never saw anyone recover themselves from the darkside.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    It's also interesting to note that both Obi-Wan and Yoda say something to the effect of, "once you start down the path of the Dark Side, you can never come back." But Luke jumps over that line and back repeatedly during the movies. He gives into fear and anger and hate all over the place, before he snaps out of it.

"I'll never give in to the Dark Side," Luke says. But look at his last fight with Vader. He was completely gone until seeing Vader's severed hand snapped him out of it. Dark Side. So I guess you can come back.

11. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I think Luke was tempted to the Dark Side, but never went all the way. Also, Anakin was tempted, e.g., when he killed the sand people, but he did not complete his journey to the Dark Side. Only when the became Vader did he complete the journey, although he still did not _quite_ complete it.

I think that Obi-Wan and Yoda judged from the stories about the Sith of old, who never returned from the Dark Side. But, Anakin was clearly special, since he was the only one to return from the Dark Side.

12. Schilly

Schilly Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    Anakins whole drive was to protect the ones he loved, his family. In ROTJ Vader perhaps doesn't become good persay, but he couldn't force himself to become respnsible (in his eyes)for the death of yet another Skywalker.

Anakins love was his weakness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.