main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

thermal detonator

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by smellyouvediscovered, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smellyouvediscovered

smellyouvediscovered Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2004
    i was thinking, why didnt leia just pull out the detonator again when jabba caught her rescuing han? it's not like anything had changed, they could have demanded chewie and the droids back and just walked out of there.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    That would have been suicidal. There might have been a shoot out. Leia didn't want to kill herself or her friends. Whne she pulled the detonator out the first time, it was a bluff. She wasn't going to really use it. But if she had pulled it out when she got caught, she might of have to use it.

3. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Yep, she was bluffing that first time. The detonator would have done a thorough job wrecking Jabba's palace -- with her and her friends in it.

4. Stark_Rhavyn

Stark_Rhavyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    I never understood why Bobba Fett didn't just shoot her on the spot when she pulled the detonator out. Then he could just casually pick it up and turn it off. Jabba probably would've given him some of the bounty for Chewie, too.

5. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    If that had happened then Luke's job would've been made harder as well as the Rebels. Leia, Chewie, Han, Lando and the droids all played a crucial role in the expulsion of the Empire. It would've certainly turned out differently.
    Also, it was just a bluff. ;)
    Kudos to Leia! :)

6. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I think that it was on the setting where it'll explode if the thumb switch is released too. Don't quote me on that though :confused: I mean there aren't many situations that'd call for that are there?
    Obviously it's got timer-only settings and explode-on-impact settings too ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Maybe the switch she was holding was the one that is pressed before it is thrown. If she'd been shot, the fall would have counted as a throw and then it would have gone off. I guess she was able to turn it off because there has got to be a fail-safe to deactivate it if you grab it the wrong way. (I can imigine that being learned the hard and destroying some Imperial equipment and killing a bunch of troops and officers).

8. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    That type of switch is called a deadman's switch. You let it go without deactivating the detonator, BOOM! :oops:

9. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I am not sure how Luke and them were able to go and rescue their friend when there is galactic civil war. I mean do you think that three war heroes during WWII would be able to say oh we're just fighting the Axis powers let's go save our buddy?

10. gbonkers

gbonkers Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2004
    Though did you see the look Boba Fett gave Leia when Jabba conceded to her demands that she wanted more for Chewbacca? A slight nod of the head....

11. geordiejedi1982

geordiejedi1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    I am not sure how Luke and them were able to go and rescue their friend when there is galactic civil war. I mean do you think that three war heroes during WWII would be able to say oh we're just fighting the Axis powers let's go save our buddy?

Isn't that roughly the premise for saving private ryan? Not that I'm saying thats a factual documentary or anything

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003

Neither Chewbacca nor Lando are members of the rebellion. Luke is a Jedi and is likely given a great deal of latitude, that is if he still has a millitary rank at this point. Leia is harder to figure. She's a princess of a dead planet, and a senator for a disolved senate, but I'm not aware of any rank of hers. She may be an honorary member of the rebellion millitary, or a civilian advisor.
    In short, they may not even be rebels at this point, so the war is irrelevant.

Even if you count Luke and Leia as "rebels", that's still just two people. Sending two rebels to rescue a "hero" like Captain Solo isn't a far out idea at all.

13. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    plus it was a dud, the lights worked but that is about it.

14. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Could ANYONE just waltz into the presence of the mighty Jabba with a BOMB on their person?

Seems like lousy security to me...

15. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    "I am not sure how Luke and them were able to go and rescue their friend when there is galactic civil war. I mean do you think that three war heroes during WWII would be able to say oh we're just fighting the Axis powers let's go save our buddy"

The Rebellion is not quite as organized as the US Army.
    Think about it. When they escaped Hoth there were probably alot of Rebels that never made it to the rendevouz point. I'm guessing they all took different routes to get there. They were either captured, dead, or got there after the main fleet left. Were these Rebels considered AWOL? I doubt it. Those Rebels more that likely continued to fight the Empire, wherever they were, getting more civilians to join them and so on.

As far as Luke and Leia saving Solo, Leia is a Princess. The only remaining royalty from Alderran. In the GFFA royalty carries the same weight as an elected leader of a planet. She doesn't have rank per se(sp) but she is a leader in the upper echelons of the Rebellion. Luke is a Jedi and can do whatever he wants. Lando kind of had to, considering he betrayed them to the Imps and Leia would've had him thrown in the brig if he hadn't.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Could ANYONE just waltz into the presence of the mighty Jabba with a BOMB on their person?

Seems like lousy security to me...

If you'll notice, Leia fought some of Jabba's guards in order to get to the throne room.

17. gbonkers

gbonkers Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2004
    The thermal detonator was just a ploy of "playing chicken" with Jabba to establish "Leia's street creds.."

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    That type of switch is called a deadman's switch. You let it go without deactivating the detonator, BOOM!
    Absolutely right.

Seems to be that Jabba's the kind guy that enjoys surrounding himself with dangerous people...the weaponary on Boba alone could do some serious damage to the place.

19. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Forcing herself to break from the longing kiss with the scoundrel, the Ubese armored princess motioned for Captain Solo to rise. "I've got to get you out of here." She said quietly.

Despite the effects of hybernation sickness the Corellian was quick to follow through, allowing the plucky rebel to take the lead.

They didn't get far.

Han's mass and disorientation was one thing. Getting suckered into one of the oldest traps in the book was another.

A booming dark chuckle echoed through the ajoining corridor of the audience chamber;

And Han froze in his tracks, forcing Leia to tighten her grip just to keep him from falling. "I know that laugh." Han said, conceeding defeat.

And with that, the surrounding drapes of the audience chamber were abruptly drawn apart revealing the court of ill-repute from a thousand worlds. Centred among the killers, thieves and fortune hunters was the bloated crime lord himself;

Jabba the Hutt.

"Solo," The ganster crowed with dark amusment. "I see your taste in companions has improved. Unfortunately your luck has not."

Leia weighed her options; Weight being the operative word. Already regreting her earlier choice to leave her force-pike behind to better aid her stealth, the princess realized that all she had left to defend them was her thermal detonator-

The idea of dropping Han to pluck the explosive from her bandolier died stillborn as Captain Solo took the initative.

"Jabba," Han began, turning with some difficutly to 'face' the Hutt. Leia elected instead to support the Captain, assisting him in keeping both his balance and dignity. "Jabba, I was on my way to pay you back and I got a little side tracked." He said, with an out-stretched hand for emphasis. "Its not my fault."

"Its too late for that Solo," Jabba said, his sarcastic baritones echoed. "You may have been a good smuggler. But now your Bantha fodder."

Han struggled to regain his composure. "Look-"

Out of the corner of Leia's eye, the young rebel caught many of the court moving in, closing the distance.

"Take him away!" Commanded the bloated slug.

Han fought the pull of the sentries. "Jabba! Wait! I'll pay you tripple! Your throwing away a fortune! Don't be a fool!-"

Han's protests fell on deaf ears as the smuggler was pulled roughly from the audience chamber.

And Leia fought to keep her control. So be it. Han was freed from carbonite; Chewie, Lando and the droids were in place; The first plan failed.

Fortunately Luke had an alternate plan.

Unfortunately Lando helped him plan it.

"Bring her to me!" Jabba ordered, motioning for the princess to be brought before him.

Well; Lando did warn her...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.