main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thermal Detonators

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Jedi_Kam, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Can anyone tell me the kill radius of a thermal detonator?

2. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    One took down most of Xixor's palace.

In Jedi Knight, the computer game, though, it's not that big, I don't think.

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    It had enough power to take out Jabba's place IIRC.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Can anyone tell me the kill radius of a thermal detonator?

In SBS, I believe it was described as almost exactly 30m diameter, with nothing outside that -- so you could be standing 15.5m outside where the detonator would drop and be perfectly fine (though maybe knocked off the feet).

However, in the RPG I seem to recall an 8m radius (16m diameter). I would go with the book definition though. I'm pretty sure the Barabel Jedi are discussing it at some point during the strike team mission.

5. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I recall "No Disintigrations, Please" where Fett tossed a thermal detonator to an Imperial he was trying to take out. They were in the same room, but Fett managed to get behind a table (or something) for cover.

Maybe different types of the thermal detonator come with a different type of blast radius.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I recall "No Disintigrations, Please" where Fett tossed a thermal detonator to an Imperial he was trying to take out. They were in the same room, but Fett managed to get behind a table (or something) for cover.

Maybe different types of the thermal detonator come with a different type of blast radius.

No, that's just a matter of "Concealment" and "Item Damage Reduction" rules of the RPG. Although that'd have to be one DARN sturdy desk to withstand a thermal detonator.

7. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    No, that's just a matter of "Concealment" and "Item Damage Reduction" rules of the RPG. Although that'd have to be one DARN sturdy desk to withstand a thermal detonator.

Well I'm not into RPG,so I have no idea what Concealment and Item Damage Reduction are. Although, the room could have been big enough that Boba Fett would be able to get out of the way of the 15.5 m radius. Well I assume the room was large, because he did use his jetpack to escape the blast radius. He wouldn't be able to use his jetpack in a concealed area without smashing into something.

I'll have to read it again.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    my point comes from SBS. i just read the part were Anakin throws the detonator at Nom Anor, and Anakin said it was 30 meter away. I trying to figure out if the blast would have got Anaikin too.

P.S. If that gets answered in the next chapter please don't tell me, thanks

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    my point comes from SBS. i just read the part were Anakin throws the detonator at Nom Anor, and Anakin said it was 30 meter away. I trying to figure out if the blast would have got Anaikin too.

P.S. If that gets answered in the next chapter please don't tell me, thanks

It never gets answered, and remains a sticking point in some debates.

Well I'm not into RPG,so I have no idea what Concealment and Item Damage Reduction are. Although, the room could have been big enough that Boba Fett would be able to get out of the way of the 15.5 m radius. Well I assume the room was large, because he did use his jetpack to escape the blast radius. He wouldn't be able to use his jetpack in a concealed area without smashing into something.

Nichos -- DR (Damage Reduction) basically says that it subtracts that amount of damage from damge done to the object. For instance, say a thermal detonator does 60 points of damage to a blast door. Then say that the plast door has 40 points of DR. 60 - 40 = 20, so the blast would only actually inflict 20 points of damage to the door.

Of course, those are made up numbers and I have no idea how sturdy the desk was... but the principle remains the same...

10. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    thanks dp4m

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    As I recall according to EG to weapons and technology, a thermal detonator can be set at various levels of strength.

There is two ways of doing this.

1. The amount of explosive material in the thermal detonator is varied. The less, the smaller the explosion. The more, the larger the explosion.

2. Emmited force field. A blast is held within a certain distance by a force field generated by the thermal detonator.

Both ways are used to create thermal detonators that vary from the level of a grenade up to something that can take out a whole city block or more.

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    In Galaxy of Fear, the explosive charge of a detonator can be replaced with an Ion charge...

TC

13. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    It never gets answered, and remains a sticking point in some debates.

Well, the fact of it hitting Anakin isn't too highly contested. Because of the REST of SbS. It really doesn't matter if he gets hurt here.

14. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    in SOTE it was a "class A thermal detinator" implying that there are other classes

15. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    In Shadows of teh Empire, Luke or lando told everyone that it was a class A thermal detonator and asked if everyone knew what it could do. All the guards were pretty flustered and Xixor was cla=early worried. So, yeas, i guess that there are different grades.

In the Bounbty Hunter trilogy i also recall Boba Fett using a mini-thermal detonator....
    It was structurally different thatn the hand held ones.

16. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    OK so I don't think the Detonator got him cause Jaina got his body back. and from what I understand about them, if he had been in range there would be no body. What I don't understand is how Nom Anor got away from the blast. Man won't that guy ever die?

Please don't answer that last question.

17. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    From the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology:

Thermal Detonator
    Merr-Sonn Munitions Class-A Thermal Detonator

When the bounty hunter Boushh threatened to explode a thermal detonator inside Jabba the Hutt's throne room, everyone inside had good reason to cower. No one would have survived the intense explosion. Fortunately, the masked nunter--Actualy Princess Leia Organa in disguise--had other objectives, namely, to rescure Han Solo from Jabba's clutches.
    Thermal detonators are immensely powerful--and strictly regulated--explosive devices. The small metal ball looks like a common grenade, and the device's thermite casing contains the synthetic explosive known as baradium. When the detonator's sliding thumb trigger is pushed, warning lights and alarms are activated as the six=second timer counts down. The detonator can be deactivated at any time by returning the trigger to its orignal position. The timier also may be reset manualy to offer a maximum countdown of five minutes, or the trigger's control pins an be programmed to act as a deadman's switch. In this setting, unless a tiny switch near the indicatior light is flipped to the safety position, the detonator will explode instantly when the trigger is released.
    When a detonator explodes, the baradium's fusion reaction creates a particle field that quickly expands outward, releasing enough energy and heat to virtually disintegrate anything caught in the blast sphere. Within a few seconds, the baradium core burns out and the particle field sphere collapses in on itself. Everything within the blast sphere is gone, while anything beyond the sphere's outer boundary is left unharmed.
    Standard-issue Imperial detonators have a small baradium core and yield a blast radius of about five meters. The Class-A thermal detonator carried by Princess Leia would have resulted in a blast radius of twenty meters. Some criminals have custon-built detonators with enoughbaradium to create hundred-meter blast spheres.
    Baradium is dangerously unstable, sometimes triggering a fusion reaction if the detonator is jarred or exposed to excessive heat. Detonators have been known to explode when dropped or thrown through the air or for no apparent reason. As a result, they are strictly military-issue and illegal for civilian possessionk, although their usefulness creates intense demand for them, pushing black market prices up to two thousand credits per detonator.
    Since a single blast can disintegrate up to two meters of permacrete, military crews offen use detonators for demolitions work and detonator booby traps sometimes are set to cover retreating soldiers.
    Princess Leia used a thermal detonator to lend credibility to her impersonation of Boushh, since the infmaous Ubese bounty hunter was known to be found of explosives. Leia recived the weapon from Lando Calrissian, who used two similar detonators to destroy the opulent palace of Prince Xizor, ruler of the criminal organization known as Black Sun.

18. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Can't really argue with what the essential guide says, can we? The thermal detonator described in SOTE wasn't powerful enough to destroy the building by itself - it was powerful enough to destroy enough of the building's structural supports to topple it, which is what Xizor and friends were afraid of.

19. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    jastermereel, you are the man. thank you for all that.

20. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    'eh...was nothing...just 15 minutes of concentrated typing......and required little though or research as opposed to the original creation of that short essay...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.