main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Theroy on Anakin and bringing balance to the force

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Rebel_Loyaltist, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>agreed, but one would hope that the ends do not justify the means.

I think that's the point of Qui Gon. He seems to be doing bad things (cheating, stealing etc.) but with good intentions. The ends, however, include Palpatine's rise and Vader's training. So I'd say that in the Star Wars world, the ends don't justify the means.

>>>You don't need evil to define good.

No, but I think in Star Wars, you do need to understand what the Dark Side is to be able to avoid falling to it. (I think it's interesting that Anakin seems to receive nowhere near the focus on NOT going down the Dark path that Luke gets in ESB.)

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Righto!

I noticed this as well, and then realized: Anakin has been trained for TEN YEARS. Surely the DS has been covered over and over again - Obi-Wan seems like the type of master who would constantly remind Anakin of this, and Anakin seems like the type of person who would be constantly holding his foot over the "line" separating the light and dark sides.

Then Luke gets reminded time and time again not to be aggressive or angry, la dee dah.

So I always thought it's because there wasn't much time to train Luke.

It seems rare for a Jedi to turn to the Dark Side after becoming a Jedi Knight - I believe that the Trials test one's ability to resist the Dark Side, and obviously one could be most easily tempted when one is a Padawan.

Therefore both Ani and Luke get tempted - I mean, you can never, ever, see Obi-Wan turning to the Dark Side - he's simply moved beyond that.

I'm beginning to think now that it's at least possible that Yoda (and possibly Ben) had some idea of the future - they told Luke he has to CONFRONT Vader (Yoda doesn't mention killing him), and then they remind him to stay calm and peaceful - and when Luke throws his lightsaber away, he has passed the Trials and truly is a Jedi Knight.

That act also, of course, leads to his father's redemption.

3. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>I mean, you can never, ever, see Obi-Wan turning to the Dark Side - he's simply moved beyond that.

I don't know- I think it's true that he moved beyond it, but the anger was pretty clear for the cool bit of his duel with Maul, which almost led to his demise (where he almost falls down the big pit.)

But he calmed himself, went past it and won.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Exactly. Sorry, I should have been more clear - and Obi-Wan was still a Padawan at that point - but once he was able to defeat Maul with a clear mind, the Council agreed that he had reached the level of Jedi Knight.

It seems to me that generally speaking (Dooku is an obvious exception), once Padawans have become Jedi, it is less likely they will turn to the Dark Side.

Hmm...that's another interesting question. Did the rest of the "Lost 20" turn to the DS like Dooku, or did they simply leave the Jedi Order?

5. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    It seems to me that generally speaking (Dooku is an obvious exception), once Padawans have become Jedi, it is less likely they will turn to the Dark Side.

I'll agree with that. In fact, I'd suspect that the Council would be unwilling to allow a Padawan to become a Jedi unless they were confident about this. Perhaps this is why Obi-Wan hasn't suggested that Anakin take the trials yet in Ep. II...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.