main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

They Changed Genndy's commentary for chapter 20!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Numbshiba, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numbshiba

Numbshiba Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2003
    wt(H)!?

The reason why the commentary version was down last night was because they changed it - and for the worse (IMHO). Now I don't think Genndy is the most articulate director in the world, but I dig his modest, straightforward commentary.

When I first downloaded it - his commentary was much more about what was going on in each scene- like the General Daakman Barrek (on the hologram) was based on some dude that works in Genndy's studio. And how he liked roron cobb better than Voolvif Monn, but Monn got voted in. Kind of interesting background stuff, and I like getting the background stuff.

Well it only downloaded about 75% and hung - so I stopped it (cause I like to save them), and tried to start over - and then it was down for a while.

Well come to find out this morning - the commentary in the version they uploaded afterwards was totally different. The whole commentary was now building up grievous. It just felt like lucasfilm told genndy - "hey we need you to get on Greivous' tip more and talk him up". In fact by the end, you can kind of hear genndy's frustration. I always hate the lcas marketing engine, even if I like SW - Genndy should have been been given the freedom to speak unscripted.

If anybody else heard the original commentary track, let us know so I am not the sole commentary conspiracy nut.

2. Numbshiba

Oct 31, 2003
    Guess I was the only one who viewed the original commentary... another one lost to the ages... sigh

3. JdieKnight

JdieKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 1999
    I take it most likely this will not be on the DVD.

Damn shame.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I heard the original one oo- he also mentions how they wanted to do more with Durge but didn't have the time.

Perhaps the "lost commebtray" is actually the commentary for CN.com's stream? And it was just out up as aplaceholder till the "real" HS" one could go up?

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Bugger - that's all I have to say :(

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Fear not! I saw this thread and then Quest's post, and went over to CartoonNetwork.com to check out.

...And it looks like your lost commentary is the Cartoon Network commentary! :)

At least, it seems to match how you were describing it in your first post (talking about the winner of the online contest, and how he actually wanted the Hammerhead to win, etc).

Go check it out and see for yourself! :D

7. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Aren't those the streaming versions? I can't see them :_|

8. Numbshiba

Oct 31, 2003
  9. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Now say you're sorry to Lucasfilm, for being angry at them without reason. ;)

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They probably put up the other commentary last night as a placeholder while they fixed the problems with the HS commentary file peopel were expieriencing...that would also explain why the video for that commentary was a smaller size.

11. Darth_Nominious

Darth_Nominious Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    I think they changed the original commentary because Genndy acknowledges that Sha'a Gi was inspired by Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, which is pretty obvious anyway but probably not something the Lucas people would want to accept... Shaggy as a Jedi.

Genndy also slipped up and said Grievous leads the Clone Troopers in the original commentary, which isn't true.

12. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    They didn't "change it", it can still be found at cartoonnetwork.com

13. Darth_Nominious

Darth_Nominious Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    If you're going to argue the semantics of the phrase "change it":

There was briefly another commentary on the official site for chapter 20. They took it down and put up another one. I am aware that the original commentary is still on the Cartoon Network site, but the commentary was changed on TOS, so they did "change it".

You are wrong.

14. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Who cares? Really?

15. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    Who cares? Really?

Caredevil.

16. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    I think getting worked-up that they put the wrong commentary track at the wrong site, and then switched them around is disturbing. My take. :)

17. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I care, because I can't see it on CN.com

18. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Well, in that case, either pony-up the dough to hear the exclusive track now, or wait patiently for the DVD release, as I'm sure both tracks'll be on that release. It isn't worth getting ones panties in a bunch. You're going to hear it eventually. :)

19. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm already a HS member, it's the CN commentry version I can't watch because I'm not in the US.

20. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Ohhh...ok. My bad. I misunderstood. But I still stand by the second part of my post. :)

21. AnakinAdam87

AnakinAdam87 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    I noticed it too. I started downloading it right when CW was on the net and I barely got past the opening and then a broken QT came up. So, I was like WTF. I thought maybe he spoiled something from Episode III so they had to change it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.