main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST They changed the ending substantially.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dizagaox, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    What I meant was the hand floating through space at the beginning of the movie rumor. I know this is the wrong thread for that, but I saw some people discussing it here and figured I might as well ask.

As for the Warhammer. I love the concept but I feel like they missed their best chance. It should have been used to destroy Starkiller.

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The Lightsaber maybe. I don't see and never did what hand it could be other than maybe Luke's mechanical one?

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

The idea would be it was Luke's own flesh and bone hand still grasping the blue lightsaber he lost on Cloud City after Vader cut it off.

ifleninwasawizard, I'm glad it wasn't used though. Brings up too many questions about Leia's one character depiction. Can you imagine the wailing about how JJ ruined her character by having her use a super weapon to destroy an entire planet?

And here's the question I would have: how the heck does the resistance afford to build something like that and still be a resistance and not a bona fide superpower?

Resistance my arse. These are Galactic overlords. It might make the resistance too powerful right off the bat.

Oh, FO has a starkiller. That's OK. We have a starkiller…err…killer.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  4. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Here's the problem with the idea that there is such a thing as a war hammer super weapon:

1. FO is not big potatoes, in fact until they unleashed the attack on the Senate, the NR had a treaty with them.
    2. If you take one on with this, having the former NR having a weapon that could blow up a planet seems counter to what they stand for.
    3. You're saying that the woman that watched as her world exploded and probably felt all that happened would willingly have a weapon built? No that's extreamely OOC for Leia.

If you wanted a super destroyer have it come from some aspect of the NR, oh wait, if they did have that then they would look like the Empire. I know they were going for grey, but let's be honest, in fiction it's really hard not to have a more black and white story. You can have shades of Gray in there, but in the end, the heroes have to be the guys that realize that good has to start some where, and the bad guys be the ones that will use anything to gain back what they want.

ShaneP likes this.
  5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Did the original ending have a ceremony scene?

I was expecting it but suprised it just came to an end.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

Bullsheev? Haha, nice.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Plus the different starfighters that MSW wrote lengthy descriptions for.

Kinda sad that this design didn't make it into TFA.

[​IMG]

8. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I believe OP because MSW did mention it in their synopsis. MSW had gotten about 95% of TFA right, they knocked it outta the park when it came to spoiling this movie. All the people who said MSW was wrong, ended up being wrong themselves.

9. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    Have to say the idea of hyperspace through planets is a pretty cool take on the super weapon in a Star Wars world.

10. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

And all Mustafar would have broken loose with fans if that bit of science was brought up. People are up in arms over the way the Starkiller works, do you really think that having two super weapons with any sort of hyper space movement and worse, it's between planets, would go over well with anyone? People look to Star Wars as a serial, a good story that focus on the right and the wrong, not exactly black and white, but the differences in good actions and how one doesn't need to commit acts against their character to win. Sure it takes longer but the message there is a good one to have.

The tie fighter could make a come back, a lot of recycled things show up in different forms of Star Wars, the crystal GL had in mind for a part of the force showed up as a book, characters that were going to be Jabba became other characters in TCWs and Rebels. I can see the ships showing up as the FO is realizing, **** we're going to need money from some place to build more things. If this follows the beats, then we're going to be getting a more ESB type story next time.

HellasLEAF-Jedi likes this.
  11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Right? You give Leia an intriguing character arc by putting her in the position of having the super weapon. Will she she be any different than her former captives when she has that power herself? Then you think she's made the terrible choice to use it unconditionally but surprise, she has a back up plan and the innocent natives/slaves of the planet are being saved from the attack. It would have shown that Leia has the guts to make a tough call for the galaxy but the heart to do it in the best way possible and save the innocents. Leia could have developed the War Hammer in secret, with Ackbar as a dissenter. Then you have drama with different factions within the Resistance debating whether to use it or not.

Force22 and georglucass like this.
  12. RacoonKing

RacoonKing Jedi Padawan

Dec 20, 2015
    I hope people realize that the script and story went through numerous, numerous rewrites. They had lots of ideas that were scrapped.

It's pretty easy to see a big reason why this idea would have been scrapped if you read into the interviews over the past year.

The writers wanted the story to be about the characters, not about an arms race. If you have these big superweapons stealing the show, it definitely takes attention away from the characters and makes each individual seem less significant. This kind of superweapon can have a positive effect on the story if you're trying to portray the weapon-builders as a nazi-like faction where each individual is supposed to be insignificant (the First Order). But if you have both sides just making giant weapons, the story would get pretty old and the characters on the Resistance side would quickly seem pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

13. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    The "China doesn't allow ghosts in films" schtick is partially rooted in fact - but the specific regulations are to do with suggesting that spirits and such are real in a way that challenges the secular status quo. Star Wars would not have this issue at all.

So it would be difficult to distribute a classic "family move into a haunted house in modern-day America" film, but a movie set in a fictional make-believe galaxy far far away featuring ghosts would not run into any difficulty since the concept of Jedi spirits does not undermine the secular framework the Chinese authorities wish their entertainment sector to promote.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Technically a darksider could bind their essence to a location or artefact to prevent their death being final after all what if they can possess someone else?

Exactly what wouldn't they want seen in a movie over there?

15. georglucass

georglucass Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015

Having a Rebel Alliance super weapon creates plenty of plot arcs that would work well with the current version of the story IMO. It sounds like the rushed filming of Force Awakens fits in nicely with Abrahms' storytelling style - film it fast and apologize later. Ridley Scott tends to tell stories this way as well and it works for him, so why not.

I like the concept that the MonCalimari/Ackbar have different goals within the Rebel Alliance. I also like having multiple factions in the Rebel Alliance. It gets a little confusing along the way and leaves plenty of mystery and intrigue - who is really the good guy here? I like that juxtaposition of good/bad considering the story thus far...

IMO - what would have made a 'better' story is to have the Rebel 'anti-death-star' super weapon appear then have it attack the Megadeth-Star, but fail. Miserably. In other words the Rebels show their winning hand but lose the card game to a royal flush. The suspense would build and the audience would pause for the hero to get back up. The dozen or so xwings flying low under the radar would then perform a plan B or 'last ditch effort' with 1:100000000 chance in hell to succeed - but through some force miracle perform the impossible and win. Jordan fades back, 3 point shot - its good! FTW. everybody happy...ish.

By the way what gives? No awards ceremony for Poe and the XWingers? No funeral for Han? No Ewok party? Im feeling a bit cheated here as a fan...

G

16. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    It would makes sense for the Resistance to build their own Death Star though. Like how American built a nuclear weapon and then everyone started building them.

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    This just going round in circles, sorry [face_dunno]

Leia was supposed to have borrowed from the Hutt's to build a superweapon that would be an answer to the rumoured First Order superweapon (Starkiller). Leia has still got a few problems with the New Republic because she sends Kor Sella to enlist the New Republic's help, that survived being cut. Luke leaves because of the KoR attack on his academy could well be a late addition as the scene where Luke places his robotic hand on Artoo was filmed on the last day of principal photography and featured a beard-less Mark Hamill according to reported rumours at the time. So whether Luke and Han left because of the superweapon seems to have been cut quite early if all the dialogue hasn't been altered in ADR, too much suggests they left because of Ben/Kylo.

Everything the OP is true but then it was already known months before the film even opened.

18. Anleifr

Anleifr Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  19. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Wow. They almost did make Rey Luke Skywalker and Finn Han Solo. I'm sure as they developed they realized a different direction was wise.

20. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Good to know they put a lot of thought into the films. Most of the character traits they dropped were either rehashed Star Wars idea (Rey being desperate to leave Jakku is just too much, Finn as Solo too obvious. Drunk Cowboy Han is overdone in other films. Glad they went with what they went with.

Anleifr likes this.
  21. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Interesting how the two major CGI characters, and arguably the weakest, were only finalised weeks before release. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ was hamstrung by the hard deadline and would have wanted more time to develop them in both nature and implementation.

Anleifr likes this.
  22. Anleifr

Anleifr Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    Yeah, and Maz used the Force in a deleted scene. (another thread titled Deleted Scenes).

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  24. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks. You want to go home and rethink your life."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.