main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends They Need You More [DownTime Challenge Response]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CodeName_Targeter, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Title: They Need You More
    Author: CodeName_Targeter
    Timeframe: during Starfighters of Adumar
    Characters: Wes Janson, Hobbie, Wedge Antilles
    Genre: AU
    Keywords: battle, death
    Summary: Kill Wes, she says. I don't care how you do it, but kill Janson, she says. So here you go, I'm killing Janson.
    Notes: Written for the First DownTime Challenge- I'm really bad at writing action, so please forgive me if the space battle isn't as good as it could be.

?Red Three, look out! Break to port!?

Not even bothering to look behind him, Janson immediately turned his X-Wing to the left, and not a second to soon. He grinned as he saw the chasing eyeball explode as it met the lasers of his wingmate?s ship.

?Thanks, Hobbie,? he said. ?And nice shot, too.?

?No problem, Wes,? the pilot replied. ?Should we head back towards Wedge and Tycho??

?That might be a good idea. My sensors say they?ve got about eight or nine brights that decided to come and play.?

?I?ll follow you, Three.?

?Copy that, Four.?

It wasn?t very long before the two had reached the rest of their flight and apparently they weren?t the only ones who had decided to come and join the party. A flight of eyeballs had also decided to come on over.

?Awww, no words of welcome, Red Leader?? he said jokingly as he began to fire on the Imperial fights, Hobbie doing the same.

?Sorry, it?s a bit busy for formalities, Three,? Wedge replied easily, firing upon the brights as he did. ?Red Four, go assist Two, he?s over to your starboard, I believe. Three, you?re my wing.?

Janson and Hobbie both acknowledged the orders and immediately shot their fighters forward towards their new wingmen.

?So what?s the orders here, Boss?? he asked as he took his position slightly behind and to the right of Wedge?s fighter.

?What are they usually, Three??

?Blast every enemy fighter in sight. Is diplomacy still necessary here??

?To the Imperials; no. To the Adumari; yes.?

?Oh goodie.?

Shutting up for the moment, Janson turned his attention to the eight, now seven, brights that were currently harassing them. Following Wedge?s lead, he dove and then abruptly turned port, which brought them immediately behind a trio of fighters. Both X-Wings opened fire, each picking a different target and destroying it before turning their attention to the last fighter.

?Nice shooting, Lead,? Janson commented as they swung back around for another pass at a different group of TIEs.

?Same to you, Three,? Wedge answered with a smile.

Before long, all that was left of the brights attack was a single wingpair.

?Let?s take the one on the left first,? Wedge instructed, turning his fighter in the appropriate direction.

Janson grinned and did the same. ?Yub yub, General.?

?Shut up, Major.?

?Yub yub, General,? he said with a grin, feeling a lot more at ease now that there were only two fighters to worry about instead of eight.

That was what proved to be his undoing.

Both X-Wings were focused on the same TIE and tracking it every move, leaving the other one free to move as it wanted. Suddenly, it broke away from its wingmate and away from the site of their mini battle.

Not even waiting for an order, Janson quickly spun his ship in the same direction and raced after it, following the circular path that it took.

And then it hit him what the TIE planned to do.

?WEDGE! Get out of there!? Janson began to shout into his comunit. But before the words even left his mouth, he knew it was too late. The bright had already released the bomb. Judging from the sensor readings, it was one of those that would track a fighter until it hit.

Making his decision, he fired three shots at the TIE, not knowing or caring if they hit or not, and sped forward towards the bomb.

?Red Three, what are you doing?? he heard Wedge ask with disbelief.

?The New Republic needs you more, Wedge,? he replied calmly, too calmly for a man who was facing his death. ?Take care of Hobbie and Kettch for me, will you??

Not waiting for a response,

2. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    Aww...*sniff* I could see him doing that! :_|

Edit: woo hoo! I got first again! [face_devil]

3. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    I hate this challenge so much.

I also love it because people are writing such great sad fics. <3

And Wes would so do that. Because he would do anything for Wedge. ;_;

4. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    :_| :_| :_|

Wonderful job on the action. You did it better than I could in my wildest dreams, Jenn.

Challenge= [face_devil]

5. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Oh, I can so totally see this happening. It's like in Adumar where Wes does the duel for Wedge.

But so saaaaaaaaad...:_|

Great job, Jenn.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

Poor Wes! :_| That was really good though :)

I really hope the next challenge isn't so depressing. :(

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh?? Wow, that was very good. The battle was wonderful and I liked how Wes made his sudden decision.. excellent way of tying in the title in the end! :)

8. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    :_| Poor Wes! I loved the part about taking careof Ketch.

9. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh, goodness. :_|

Y'know, Jenn, I've said before that if the books ever killed one of them, I would want it to be like this. I could see it this way.

Beautiful job, Jenn. But, :_|

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Awww so sad! :( Nice space battle work! Love it...but now I must go cry again because of this evil challenge...

11. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    :_| :_| :_| :_|

Can we PLEASE stop killing Wes now????

Oh Jenn! Ya done sooooooo good! Your action is about 6 galaxy lengths out in front of mine, don't kid yourself, ya done great! I just commented on someone else's fic that there are very few writers (profic included) that can keep my attention in flight battle scenes. Yours however was just right, on the money. It's action enough to keep me interested but it's not all weighed down with all kinds of techie jargon and pilot jibberish. Seriously, this is perfect!

And I love the way you killed Wes (not that I'm happy about any of us killing Wes, the petition to make Jes and Myri pay for this will be coming around in a bit), you showed just how noble he is and how much he cares about his teammates before his own hide.

VERY VERY VERY (note caps there) excellent! =D= =D= =D=

Ro

okay, gonna go cry MORE now..... WAH!!!!

12. NYCitysock

NYCitysock Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2004
    AWWW!!! That was so sad!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.