main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series They really need to cut out those crappy commercial break TCW jokes.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by IG_2000, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    "You've failed me... for the last time."

"Well, looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the galaxy?"

AND NOW ITS TIME FOR THE JOKE OF THE DAY WITH GRIEVOUS AND HIS BATTLE DROID

"Is your transmittor still working?"

"I don't know, I haven't used it yet."

NOT. FUNNY. AT. ALL.

2. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I actually really enjoyed the battle droid humour in the Deserter

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Where is that from?

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You should complain to Cartoon Network, not here. ;)

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Thankfully I don't get to watch that kind of stuff.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The Cartoon Network TCW jokes have gotten really, really bad this season. It was cringeworthy when they started with the Grievous/Saleucami one a while back. Now they've increased exponentially for some reason, and if anything they'd deter folks from watching the show.

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I :oops: Everytime I hear them dub in a crappy, random voice actor to tell horrible" jokes" as Captain Rex in those commercials.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You guys have been watching that during three seasons?

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I had no idea.[face_sick]

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    At least I'm not alone. :)

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Thank God I'm not the only one here who hates them. I heard that they have just as awful ones during airings of Young Justice.

I think stuff like this, and Cartoon Network constantly trying to force live-action programming on it, proves it is being run by a bunch of idiots.

Doesn't Lucasfilm have somewhat of a say in how TCW is presented on CN? If they do, they should tell them to cut it out with those stupid bits.

12. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I actually watch some of Cartoon Network's prime-time shows (Mainly because they have pulling out awesome shows lately such as Regular Show and Young Justice-but that's besides the point.) and I can assure you that TCW is not the only show that has the "jokes" before and after the commercial breaks. Young Justice, Ben 10: UA, and Generator Rex have those joke bumpers too. Unfortunately though the jokes bumpers for the other shows are just as bad as the ones that appear during TCW.

So yeah its basically a CN thing and not a Lucas thing. And yes those who don't live in the US should be happy that they don't have to :rolleyes: every time one of these joke bumpers appears.

However if you all think the prime-time joke bumpers are bad then you should see some of the ones that are played in the afternoon. Some are downright creepy, especially the one with the Chimpanzee that's wearing martial arts clothing. [face_worried]

But anyways I agree that the joke bumpers need to be cut out. They're not funny at all.

I think stuff like this, and Cartoon Network constantly trying to force live-action programming on it, proves it is being run by a bunch of idiots.

The problem with Cartoon Network is that they have awesome shows (With the obvious exception of their live-action crap of course) but their channel is poorly managed. For example they hardly promote Generator Rex at all. On the flip side however they were more than happy to promote that stupid "Hall of Games Award" show for 5 months straight. Ironically enough despite the heavy promotion Hall of Game was watched only by 1.4 million in total viewers. FAIL. [face_tired]

Of course I don't want to veer this thread off topic, but yeah CN does have good shows. And the channel can improve if they would just rid of the jokes, the live action programming, and most importantly give all of their shows fair and equal promotions.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    If you find an alien parasite, don't put it in your nose!

Remember how funny that was?

14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    There's another one with Ventress and Savage, when Savage first wakes up on the stone slab after being brainwashed, and the poor voice is dubbed in:

"Good morning sleepyhead, time for school! I've laid out some clothes and made you some hotcakes *Savage strangles her* AGH I MADE YOU HOTCAKES"

I mean seriously, sometimes I want to /myself whenever I hear these jokes. The only one I find slightly amusing is when they dub in the voice on the battle droid's comlink saying "This is Roger P. Roger, can you hear me?"

EDIT: Yeah, I think Cartoon Network does have good shows and gets alot of undeserved flack nowadays. Regular Show and Adventure Time are two of the funniest cartoons to come around since the glory days of Nickelodeon and CN... but they have so much room to improve if they got rid of the live action stuff altogether and made an aggressive effort to go back to their roots.

Today Nickelodeon announced they are refocusing on animation and launching a programming block dedicated to 90's TV shows... which is a MAJOR step in the right direction. If only Cartoon Network followed suit

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The hotcakes one made me loose so many braincells I forgot what I was watching.

16. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    It would be one thing if the jokes were funny. But they're not. CN is basically seems to be trying to market the show as a kiddie program with point blank face shots and beheadings.

Sorry CN, but it doesn't work like that. [face_frustrated]

17. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah they do need to be more aggressive in how they manage their stuff. I mean you know why shows like iCarly manage to get some many viewers? Because Nick knows how to promote their shows. Not to mention that they advertise practically every new episode of iCarly and Spongebob as a special for some reason. And CN has brought back some of the old shows. For example Billy and Mandy, Courage, and Ed, Edd, n Eddy all play in the afternoon now. Plus they even had Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls on weekday mornings too. Though those two shows have been removed from CN. By the way IG_2000 where did Nick say that they are creating a 90's TV programming block?

Oh and speaking of Regular Show I just have to post this:

Muscle Man: You know who else thinks that the TCW joke bumpers on Cartoon Network are totally and utterly lame? MY MOM!

Same here Barriss_Coffee same here.

To be fair TCW is not the only show on CN marketed to kids that contains mildly graphic violence. Sym-Bionic Titan has mildly graphic violence too. For example in one episode called "Roar of the White Dragon" the Titan robot defeats/kills a giant monster by breaking one of its fingers in half, ripping off its arm, and punching a giant hole through it all while the monster was howling in pain. I'll admit I actually felt sorry for that monster. Of course mild violence or not Sym-Bionic Titan is still aimed at kids.

Though despite the fact that these shows are aimed at kids as far as I'm concerned I actually consider TCW, Sym-Bionic Titan, Regular Show, Adventure Time etc to be all ages shows. Now one cannot deny that these shows are marketed to elementary and-or middle school aged kids but they can be enjoyed by everyone.

Now to keep the rest of my post on topic I will say that my least favorite TCW joke bumper is probably the one featuring Jar-Jar with the announcer stating "Wise choice Senator wise choice." I don't hate Jar-Jar or anything but I simply just don't like that one.

18. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah, I have to say, as someone who just watched an episode's live debut for the first time for "The Citadel", those "jokes" are pretty annoying. Especially since I really hate battle droid "humor" [face_sick] and they seem to like using those moments as their "jokes."

19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    You guys still watch it on TV? Ouch.

That's what you get for feeding the networks like that.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Good that i watch them online- i couldn't stand those jokes- i hate even CN-commercials like "This jailbreak is gonna be rough!" i hate the way they try to sound so damn cool[face_tired] it's lame.... and music is also chosen poorly but it would do without irritating narrative....

21. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    CN commercials were funny when i was a kid, even re-watching them online.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQEAiZJMco Case in point.

Haven't seen these modern bumpers but they sound horrible. Althoughi admit sometimes battle droids on TCW get a chuckle out of me. 'You're not supposed to be here-'

22. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I just saw the worst one of these I've seen yet. Opress is waking up with Ventress standing over him, and the dubbed in dialogue is acting like he has to go to school and she's talking about the lunch she made him...... It was BRUTAL.

23. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    The hotcakes one?

Haha it's so bad I chuckled.

24. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Oh, Anno Hideaki said Evangelion was for youths and even kids, and that it was especially important that they hear its message. (Cartoon Network did actually show the first couple episodes once, translated fairly well, though they tried to convince us "Yebisu" was Japanese for "water". An aside: I would pay to see a 4kids- or Saban-style dub of Evangelion, just to see how the hell they would manage it.)

CN has a history of weird ideas. I would include CN Real as one, as well as the weird tendency to, whenever someone asks adult swim to bring back anime, they just add more reruns of Fox shows. And any time they edit Total Drama, it manages to be even bigger fail than when dubbers edit a Japanese series.

25. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes Evangelion was originally intended for kids/teens in Japan. However Japanese parents actually thought Evangelion was too violent for their kids and it was one of the things that led to Japan's broadcasting standards becoming stricter. Of course Japan still allows more in their kids shows than we do (Though we are more lenient on censorship in general) but there is no way something like Evangelion could be aimed at kids today even over there. Standards vary from country to country, though I'm pretty sure you already know about that Iktomi. For example did you guys know that the Star Wars The Clone Wars and Ben 10: Alien Force DVDs (which are Y7/PG by our standards) are actually rated 12+ in Germany? Now keep in mind that its okay for German kids between the ages of 6 & 11 to watch 12+ rated stuff under parental guidance and I'm pretty sure that people in Germany realize that Ben 10: Alien Force is for children. However the FSK (Germany's equivalent of the MPAA) has taken something that we find to be perfectly acceptable for 7 year old kids in America and has slapped a big green "12" sticker on them. Proof:
    [image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91Cl-bPzS4L._AA1500_.jpg][image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61prRmTz1bL.jpg]
    And on the flip-side Lost in Translation which was rated R by the MPAA was given a mere 6+ rating in Germany. So yeah rating standards vary from culture to culture.

And CN's bumpers in general are not that bad. Sure the joke bumpers and those creepy animal that play on Saturday morning/weekday afternoon bumpers are bad. But their new layout is a lot better than the Noods that they used back in 2008-09 and as far as I'm concerned the rest of the bumpers that CN uses now are perfectly fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.