Things Dark Horse Comics can do to improve rapport with fans:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Jan 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    1: Adhere to continuity religiously, except in farces and "what ifs" which would be denoted seperately from the rest of continuity by the "Gonk Icon". Ask for the Gonk Icon!

2: Follow up the award winning Star Wars black and white manga movie adaptions with black and white manga adaptions of Mike Stackpole's Rogue Squadron novels. Star Wars needs a good black and white comic series. An adaption of these novels would attract huge sales and manga is a style quite fitted for them.

3: Create a second ongoing series set in the Tales of the Jedi era featuring an adult Vima Sunrider and a new cast of characters including Jedi and others. In other words, create a comic with a core cast, one that readers will enjoy and stick to that cast.

4: Reprint the Marvel Comics. Like the previous Marvel reprint of A New Hope, they can be completely recolored. They can also have problematic dialogue rewritten and perhaps completely cut out or rewrite problematic issues, or as they did in Classic Star Wars, have new panels drawn. This would be called "Classic Star Wars: The Special Editions." If Lucas can do it, why not comic editors?

5: Bully Del Rey and LFL into allowing an New Jedi Order era series like "Chewbacca". Fill in the cracks left between stories. We want to know about some new Jedi in the very least. An entire issue of Tales devote to the New Jedi Order would be nice.

6: More art that is the quality of Yavin Vasilika and the Jedi vs Sith sketches, less art that is the quality of Sergio Aragones. Stylized art is cool... too much stylization is distracting, way too much is unfunny.

7: Use Tales as a vehicle to test the waters for potential series. Stories and characters and art and writing teams that recieve a lot of positive fan feedback should be expanded into mini-series.

8: Tap established writers who are fans, fanboys of Star Wars to contribute to Tales. Look outside of comics for good ideas. The short comic format might be a great way to launch a good writer into the medium of comics as well. Novels and short stories are different than writing comics, but that is no reaon not to give someone the chance to learn. And it seems that "comic writers" just do not always seem to cut it no matter how acclaimed they may be.

9: Lose alternate covers. Sure it is proven that photo covers sell better at the newsstand, but Star Wars fans don't go to the newsstand for their comics. They go to comic and specialty shops because we are a devoted lot. And besides, alternate covers went out of style a few years ago during the great comics implosion. Fans want story not collectibility. Don't try and trick them into thinking they want to buy a comic twice (or even three times!) for both covers.

10: Put me in charge :)
  2. Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "1: Adhere to continuity religiously, except in farces and "what ifs" which would be denoted seperately from the rest of continuity by the "Gonk Icon". Ask for the Gonk Icon!"

Agreed

"2: Follow up the award winning Star Wars black and white manga movie adaptions with black and white manga adaptions of Mike Stackpole's Rogue Squadron novels. Star Wars needs a good black and white comic series. An adaption of these novels would attract huge sales and manga is a style quite fitted for them."

Sorry I have to disagree with you hereI personally can't stand manga, and I think the Rogues story would be ruined if it were like that. The art in some of those stories is too good to change

"3: Create a second ongoing series set in the Tales of the Jedi era featuring an adult Vima Sunrider and a new cast of characters including Jedi and others. In other words, create a comic with a core cast, one that readers will enjoy and stick to that cast."

I would love to see any continuation of TotJ. It's one of my favourite series

"4: Reprint the Marvel Comics. Like the previous Marvel reprint of A New Hope, they can be completely recolored. They can also have problematic dialogue rewritten and perhaps completely cut out or rewrite problematic issues, or as they did in Classic Star Wars, have new panels drawn. This would be called "Classic Star Wars: The Special Editions." If Lucas can do it, why not comic editors?"

I do want to see reprints but I would like to see them in their original form, it would just seem more real that way. Plus I like some of that old style art

"5: Bully Del Rey and LFL into allowing an New Jedi Order era series like "Chewbacca". Fill in the cracks left between stories. We want to know about some new Jedi in the very least. An entire issue of Tales devote to the New Jedi Order would be nice. "

Yeah I would like to see some of the plot holes filled in. Such as some of the stuff that may have been in Siege that had to be missed out

"6: More art that is the quality of Yavin Vasilika and the Jedi vs Sith sketches, less art that is the quality of Sergio Aragones. Stylized art is cool... too much stylization is distracting, way too much is unfunny."

Haven't seen these so I can't comment

"7: Use Tales as a vehicle to test the waters for potential series. Stories and characters and art and writing teams that recieve a lot of positive fan feedback should be expanded into mini-series."

Good idea - it would also allow more experimenting with things

"8: Tap established writers who are fans, fanboys of Star Wars to contribute to Tales. Look outside of comics for good ideas. The short comic format might be a great way to launch a good writer into the medium of comics as well. Novels and short stories are different than writing comics, but that is no reaon not to give someone the chance to learn."

I suppose this would help with continuity problems if any ever arose

"9: Lose alternate covers. Sure it is proven that photo covers sell better at the newsstand, but alternate covers went out of style a few years ago during the great comics implosion. Fans want story not collectibility. Don't try and trick them into thinking they want to buy a comic twice (or even three times!) for both covers."

Agreed - there is no need, and I think that the photo covers look horrible anyway

"10: Put me in charge :)"

No :)
  3. accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy

VIP
    star 1
    They could hire me to do a couple of Star Wars comics.

I've expressed interest any number of times.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Mind Riot likes this.
  4. jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    1: PLEASE, OH PLEASE listen to DL (and anyone else who wants a solid continuity)! To produce these stories that blatantly disregard the one-reality, one-continuity characteristic of the Saga weakens the very nature of the experience. I don't want to have to start choosing which stories will be "ignored" simply because people didn't want to take the time to make things work out. Gonk icon or no, non-continuity stories should be saved for the humor genre, not serious tales.

2: I'm undecided on magna, but I'd probably buy them.

3: Two on-goings (no matter what era [NJO anyone?]) would be great!

4: I'd like to get my hands on the original Marvel issues, but a reprint series would be nice, too.

5: NJO comics would be nice.

6: Good clean art. That's all I want. No cartoony stuff (except for the funnies in Tales.), please.

7: Yes. That's what I thought Tales was meant to be in the first place. Keep the Tales stories in the continuity... the series will have to be.

8: I'm all for new talent and new directions. Just keep the continuity alive.

9: I could care less about alternative covers. Make them. Don't make them. I don't care. I buy art every time.

10: No, put ME in charge! =D

BONUS: HIRE MS. CRISPIN NOW!!!
  5. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I agree on most points.
  6. Jagged_Fel Jedi Knight

star 2
    Agreed. I think DH will listen more if you post it on their boards though. I will try to do that.

I think Manga would be great, the movie ones were terrific. They could even expand on the books with added scenes like in the movie adaptations. More NJO comics would be great too. I would be all for a Crispin authored series. I think all non-continuity belongs in Tales (with a gonk icon) but most can fit already.

I do disagree with the art in Underworld which I don't like. More Nadeau & Ensign and Duursema. Teranishi would be great too.

7. Muke_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    BRAVO DL! I agree with youse except on one point, I dont think Mango and the Rogues would mix, I would love to see NJO in Manga though. Theres something asian about those books. Probably all the big monsters.

And I agree with Ann Crispin, she should write comics, she's a brilliant author and I'm not just kissin butt. However...if you write comics do the world a favor and dont pull a Steve Perry and write something awful like Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, think Stackpole...Stackpole...Stackpole...

And I really hope they do the Marvel Special Editions. That was my thinking all along was that they could redraw and re-write anything that didnt fit.

I have another demand though, get Stackpole to finish up his Rogue Squadron storys, there was still story left. And then get Aaron Allston to write a Wraith Squadron mini. I would love to see what the Wraiths were doing during Dark Empire and The Black Fleet Crisis.
  8. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think Manga is perfect for the Rogues... look at all the space based combat Manga titles that are already popular.
  9. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    DL, I wholeheartedly agree with all your suggestions, so I second the motion made by point no. 10!
  10. Art_Core Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with all the statements, but i am a bit hesitant on # 10.
  11. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Maybe I could help DL in that regard! :)
  12. Muke_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Put me in charge of #10 and I will make the first person who seconds it my second in command, all others will have advisory positions on my staff.
  13. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    sorry man, but I'm number one, although I might have a panel of underpaid advisors.
  14. Art_Core Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If the gatherer and DL were teamed up for #10 i would defiantely support it fully.
  15. A Smuggler's Spin Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree with a lot there.

DL would be a good editor in chief. Of course he would need help::G::

I would really like to see some comics without Bounty Hunters in them.

Clean Art would be nice. I understand needing to cultivate new artists, but all these mangled looking comics that have been arriving at my doorstep are getting old fast.

Can we stop basing every member of the NJO era off of the Hollywood B list?

Some new advetures dealing specifically with Talon Kardde and his group.

And most importantly, some new stories and writers, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Avoid Crimson Empire III at all costs. ;)
  17. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    well..

11: Themed Tales issues. Not all isues, mind you, just everyonce in awhile. One devoted to the Jedi Council, another devoted to the smugglers, another devoted to Bounty Hunters, an NJO theme....
    Serializing a story in Tales would be good too. With an exciting hook, readers will always come back.
  18. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
  19. Benwan Jedi Knight

star 1
    #11 sounds good to me DL.
  20. Darth_Dolza Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, DL, you've hit apon a few topics that are dear to me: proper continuity, not purposely trying to make "instant collectible" comics, filling in spots between novels, and, of course, MANGA!!!

I really don't care too much for the art in the Yavin Vasilika, but it is nice to see a change in styles here and there, and I guess as long as it's done well enough, I can support it.

Marvel reprints are a good idea, too (even if they're "new and improved"; personally, I'm generally a "keep it original" guy, but some things do need fixing). Makes it easier for those of us who want to know the stories without having to search high and low three ways till Sunday to find the less redily-available issues.

As far as expanding the writer pool, new blood can always do some good. Also, the ideas for a new TotJ-era series, as well as the changes suggested for the Tales series, sound decent. Assuming the suggested reader response/input is consistent enough, making Tales a showcase series could come off rather well.

Good ideas! Especially the one about more manga. :)
  21. skawookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with every point. They have a lot of potential in these Tales comics, and they're really not using it. I'm all for continuity, which I think is the coolest aspect of Star Wars: it all fits. I sort of like the Underworld style of drawing, but I know I'm in the minority. Maybe it's because I love cartoons. I'd love to see some manga Rogue adventures, as well as an NJO ongoing series. Oh, and put DL in charge.
  22. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
  23. Bogga Jedi Master

star 4
    I really don't want to see more cartoonish comics, like certain Tales stories and Yavin Vassilika. I just think they look horrible. I want to see more art along the lines of the pre-Infinity's End Ongoing, Last Stand on Ord Mantel, Chewbacca, etc.

I'd also like to say that I'm not into Mangas and have no need to buy the same story again with a new artistic style. If it was a new story, then I'd probably still buy it, as I'm a completist.
  24. Mavrick889 Jedi Master

star 4
    Get AC Crispin and Kathy Tyers to write some star Wars comics!!
    - Chas
  25. Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus

star 5
    does anyone else have ideas?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.