main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things Dark Horse Comics can do to improve rapport with fans:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Jan 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    While Rebel Opposition would be nice...it doesn't/wouldn't hold a candle to a TPB for TOTJ REDEPTION!...That is my singular big complaint with DH right now...a lack of the full conclusion to one of their greatest series...

2. anyueman

anyueman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2000
    Then perhaps you should visit starwars.com and be glad you can put that complaint in the trash! :)

3. loontexas

loontexas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001
    i would like to see a comic book adaptation of ruin 1 & 2.

i would LOVE to see more "tales of the jedi". vima sunrider would be ok, but i want to see more jedi prehistory. maybe about jedi from 12,000 years ago. or the original war between the jedi and the dark jedi.

4. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, it seems there WILL be a Redemption TPB in July. Too bad I just bought all the single issues.

I'd LOVE to see a NJO comic. The NJO is my favorite era.

5. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    "1: Adhere to continuity religiously, except in farces and "what ifs" which would be denoted seperately from the rest of continuity by the "Gonk Icon". Ask for the Gonk Icon!"

Totally agree.
    It would not only allow continuty to become much more fluid, but it would open up a whole new genre of SW comics.

"2: Follow up the award winning Star Wars black and white manga movie adaptions with black and white manga adaptions of Mike Stackpole's Rogue Squadron novels. Star Wars needs a good black and white comic series. An adaption of these novels would attract huge sales and manga is a style quite fitted for them."

Agree, 100%
    The manga look would be awesome for these titles and would draw in not only the hardcore movie fans, lit fans and comic fans but also the Otaku.
    It would be Star Wars like the other Manga and it would have that space appeal much like the Gundam comics.

"3: Create a second ongoing series set in the Tales of the Jedi era featuring an adult Vima Sunrider and a new cast of characters including Jedi and others. In other words, create a comic with a core cast, one that readers will enjoy and stick to that cast."

Completely agree.
    The main reason why I stay away from most of the comics in the Star Wars universe is because of a lack of continuty.
    They just seem to float from character to character rather then establishing character development.

"4: Reprint the Marvel Comics. Like the previous Marvel reprint of A New Hope, they can be completely recolored. They can also have problematic dialogue rewritten and perhaps completely cut out or rewrite problematic issues, or as they did in Classic Star Wars, have new panels drawn. This would be called "Classic Star Wars: The Special Editions." If Lucas can do it, why not comic editors?"

Nope, it just seems too cheesy and a rehash in my opinion.

"5: Bully Del Rey and LFL into allowing an New Jedi Order era series like "Chewbacca". Fill in the cracks left between stories. We want to know about some new Jedi in the very least. An entire issue of Tales devote to the New Jedi Order would be nice. "

Yes, the NJO needs that badly in my opinion.
    It would unite the comics to the books and encourage both fans in both worlds to buy both.
    And it may satisfy those fans who feel let down by the NJO.

"6: More art that is the quality of Yavin Vasilika and the Jedi vs Sith sketches, less art that is the quality of Sergio Aragones. Stylized art is cool... too much stylization is distracting, way too much is unfunny."

No clue about that.
    I would like to see much more controlled and fluid art rather then the stuff they put out now.

"7: Use Tales as a vehicle to test the waters for potential series. Stories and characters and art and writing teams that recieve a lot of positive fan feedback should be expanded into mini-series."

Superb idea.

"8: Tap established writers who are fans, fanboys of Star Wars to contribute to Tales. Look outside of comics for good ideas. The short comic format might be a great way to launch a good writer into the medium of comics as well. Novels and short stories are different than writing comics, but that is no reaon not to give someone the chance to learn."

An awesome idea as well.
    It would give the fans a hands on reason to read the comics as well as the ability to take it to where they need to go.

"9: Lose alternate covers. Sure it is proven that photo covers sell better at the newsstand, but alternate covers went out of style a few years ago during the great comics implosion. Fans want story not collectibility. Don't try and trick them into thinking they want to buy a comic twice (or even three times!) for both covers."

Yep, good idea.
    The reason I buy comics is for the flashy eye candy, not old movie images I can just pull off the net.

10: Put me in charge :)
    You're good, but not an editor or anything.

6. mj

mj Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 1998
    I have to agree with Jades Fire a little here, DL. I suppose it's the nature of comics in general to exaggerate the human form into unrealistic proportions, but I really would like to see more realistic depictions of characters. And that most especially includes some physical diversity. Every new character seems to be not only white, but young and attractive. That gets really old after a while, if you ask me. At one point I just wanted to burn Union. And there was a whole bunch of scantily-clad women in that one, in case you forgot.

7. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I do have to agree with that.
    Not every character in the movies where appealing nor where they idealistic of what a person or alien should be.
    By making the characters in the book more diverse then the average Michael Turner book then they will have broken the mold.

8. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    DL, I wholly agree with points 1, 10 and 12. :D

9. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I don't know if this applies to the topic here, (in terms of rapport with the fans), but personally, I've always wanted to see Jim Lee's work on an X-wing story. I just like the way he draws fighter craft! :) Although I figure he'd be pretty good drawing absolutely anything in the SW EU!

A Patty Jackson story with Gossett artwork would be awesome! Their work always has been! It's a great combo!!!

Ol'val!

10. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I can see why many people are upset that the Tales comics are being called non-canon, it could cause problems later. But, I don't really mind what LFL thinks is offical or not. I read what I want to read. If they call it unoffical, who cares? It still says STAR WARS on the cover and it still has the myth and adventure that I love in Star Wars.

I'm not one to care if something like a lightsaber color or a character's eye color is messed up. Is it that important to the story?

I see how canon can tie stories together, but in my eyes each story is in its own as long as characters are acting like they normaly do and events are new and exciting.

I would love NJO comics. I would LOVE comic adaptations of any novel in Star Wars. I like adding pictures to my thoughts as I read a novel.

I like manga style art or out of porprtion art sometimes. Still, crisp, clear, and hard art is what is needed a lot. Thats fine with me because I like it.

I'll try to go into anything with an open mind. Now all I need is something to come for me to do so.

11. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    1: Adhere to continuity religiously, except in farces and "what ifs" which would be denoted seperately from the rest of continuity by the "Gonk Icon". Ask for the Gonk Icon!

Yes. Emphatically yes. Gonk icon would be perfect!

2: Follow up the award winning Star Wars black and white manga movie adaptions with black and white manga adaptions of Mike Stackpole's Rogue Squadron novels. Star Wars needs a good black and white comic series. An adaption of these novels would attract huge sales and manga is a style quite fitted for them.

Sounds cool.

3: Create a second ongoing series set in the Tales of the Jedi era featuring an adult Vima Sunrider and a new cast of characters including Jedi and others. In other words, create a comic with a core cast, one that readers will enjoy and stick to that cast.

YES PLEASE!!

4: Reprint the Marvel Comics. Like the previous Marvel reprint of A New Hope, they can be completely recolored. They can also have problematic dialogue rewritten and perhaps completely cut out or rewrite problematic issues, or as they did in Classic Star Wars, have new panels drawn. This would be called "Classic Star Wars: The Special Editions." If Lucas can do it, why not comic editors?

This is must. Especially the re-write parts.

5: Bully Del Rey and LFL into allowing an New Jedi Order era series like "Chewbacca". Fill in the cracks left between stories. We want to know about some new Jedi in the very least. An entire issue of Tales devote to the New Jedi Order would be nice.

Why on earth aren't there any NJO comics anyway?

6: More art that is the quality of Yavin Vasilika and the Jedi vs Sith sketches, less art that is the quality of Sergio Aragones. Stylized art is cool... too much stylization is distracting, way too much is unfunny.

Yes...I don't know about anyone else, but I detest the artwork for Union. I love the artwork for Darth Maul and the Extinction 2-parter in Tales.

7: Use Tales as a vehicle to test the waters for potential series. Stories and characters and art and writing teams that recieve a lot of positive fan feedback should be expanded into mini-series.

This would be a really good idea.

8: Tap established writers who are fans, fanboys of Star Wars to contribute to Tales. Look outside of comics for good ideas. The short comic format might be a great way to launch a good writer into the medium of comics as well. Novels and short stories are different than writing comics, but that is no reaon not to give someone the chance to learn. And it seems that "comic writers" just do not always seem to cut it no matter how acclaimed they may be.

Well they've let Mike Stackpole do it...why not others?

9: Lose alternate covers. Sure it is proven that photo covers sell better at the newsstand, but Star Wars fans don't go to the newsstand for their comics. They go to comic and specialty shops because we are a devoted lot. And besides, alternate covers went out of style a few years ago during the great comics implosion. Fans want story not collectibility. Don't try and trick them into thinking they want to buy a comic twice (or even three times!) for both covers.

Yes...no more alternate covers. Didn't Qui-Gon and Obi Wan #1 have THREE different covers?!

10: Put me in charge :)

I'll second that.

12. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    How about a comic book adaption of the upcomoing video role playing (Baldur's Gate style)game set in TotJ era?

13. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    A comic series based on the game would have to depend on whether the plot is any good.

14. A Smuggler's Spin

A Smuggler's Spin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2000
    My main complaint with the comics coming out in general is the stories they are producing are not good enough for me to overlook the art.

Not that comic stories a generally acknowledged for great story telling, it is supposed to be sort of a middle ground between story and artwork.

Just cause it says Star Wars on the cover though doesn't mean I will overlook sub par art, and decent story telling. I need more, more I say! :D

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    IMNSHO, that's a bad idea DL. They tried novelizing Baldur's Gate games, and those books got pretty bad reviews. There's so much going on in those types of RPGs, including quests and stuff that wouldn't fit into a written or drawn medium. It would be more productive to make a comic adaptation of the more open ended games, such as demolition, masters of tëras käsi, or a similar game to fill in story details. Or else a comic that ties in with an existing game, like one that would fill in the missing three years or so of Brenn Tantors work for the Alliance.

16. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
  17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The guy from Force Commander

18. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Force What?

19. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Brenn tantor was actually pretty cool, and allowed us a little closer into the inner workings of pro-imperial changing his mind and becoming a rebel, you missed out alot by not knowing of that game, ;),DL.

20. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    I don't really know about doing a black and white manga adaptation of the X-Wing Books, the style does fit books okay. But I'm just not that big a fan of manga.

What I really want to see is an adaptation of the second X-Wing Series (Wraiths Rule! Face and Phanan Roxor! Janson is L33T!)

21. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I agree with the continuity issue. Do your homework authors!

Manga? Gag! I can't stand manga! I was in Japan for 3 years and all they had there was manga! Oh the agony! Then to come home to the good ole' USA to see my fav. movie adapted in manga?! Why don't they just kick me? :) NO MORE MANGA FOR SW!!!!

I have often wondered why DH hasn't done any NJO myself. I love NJO and thought that DH was supposed to do some NJO series/stories as well. What happened? Anyone know?

Tales. I thought that the original idea for Tales would be for a few short stories in one book, with each story from a different era. (ie TOTJ era, Prequel era, Classic era, and post-ROTJ era)? Making them serialized would be a great idea too. That's like 3-4 on-goings in one book!

Does anyone remember the Starship Troopers CG series for kids on FOX? I think that an X-Wing/Wraith comic done in that fashion would kick you know what! I wouldn't want them to adapt the books though. There's plenty of story there to not need a rehash of the books! A Stackpole/Allston story team would rock! And they wouldn't have to stick with just the Rogue's and Wraith's, they could hit the NRI and the Jedi on Yavin4 as well! And don't forget Thrawn, Isarrd and the rest of the Imp Remnant!

I have all of the Marvel series, so why would I want them again?

More TOTJ would be great too! How many years do they have to work with there? about 3,000 or so? Plenty of room for a plethora of new characters! (I love that word: plethora! Don't you?)

Covers. I like it when the cover gives you an idea about what happens in the story. I too don't care for the photo covers. These are comics for goodness sakes!

BTW, if DH doesn't want to listen to what the fans want then I'm sure they'll see their sales drop and LFL will get some letters urging them to sign a comic company that will listen and deliver! As always, the choice is theirs.

22. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Has anyone started to see improvement?

23. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    How about a comic with bigheaded characters?
    nah...

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    What do you want it be called, Super bombad racing, ;)?

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Fire Land..... :p

Cough.ahem..

*walks away whistling *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.