main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things that NEED to go away at sporting events

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Advertising

I don't care that anything was brought to me by...
    There's way to much of those in sporting events, sometimes I can't remeber if I came to be entertained or advertised.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Cheesy music.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So, I'm at odds for tomorrow: do I want the Lakers to play lackluster defense (in the course of a win, obviously) in order so that the Grizzlies score a 100 points or more, so that I don't have to hear 18,000+ fans in Staples yell "WE WANT TACOS!!" or do I suck it up, and hope for a great defensive evening? :p

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    It's always risky to pull for your team to give up a lot of points and still want them to win. Just worry about the win and ignore the silly promotion :p

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    One thing that I wish would come back to earth is the outrageous prices they charge for everything at the game.

When you spend more on drinks, food, and souvenirs than what it cost for your seats, then that's when it's just getting to be a little too superfluous.

Also, fans that try to beat the traffic by leaving early (especially if their team is the one getting smoked). It doesn't matter if you try to leave early or not, you're still looking at to the least an hour just to get out of the parking lot.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't mind advertising, because I know it helps pay most of the bills.

What I do mind is things like "And that was the Time Warner Clear Play of the Game", and now back to the game, the Braves lead 1-0 in the second inning ...

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    See, I like all the cheesy music and fun cheers while at sporting events. I think that's why UW Madison hockey is one of my favorite things to do to live. Its got ALL of that and more.

8. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I would like the Cubs to get rid of the celebrity Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Terrorist organisations shooting half of the visiting team before the game starts.

10. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

Oh wow, you get that in the second inning? At least with the YES Network that happens when the game is over, we get the play of the game and the player of the game.

But another thing that needs to go away is the cap game(the ball underneath one of three caps). Thats in every single baseball stadium around here, and honestly theres got to be something better than the cap game...

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Wave.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Digger Phelps dancing.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    :( I LOVE when Digger dances!

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its mentally disturbing. And it looks like he's trying to hit on that cheerleader, who should be scarred for life.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    In all honesty I think the beer guy should go or he should make the rounds with less frequency. For every vendor with non-alcoholic products there is five beer vendors. If they lessened his duties or just got rid of him it may end some of the roudy behavior. I am not advocating soberity at sporting events, far from it, just a limit perhaps.

16. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    The 'noise-o-meter' at indoor events.

I can handle the MAKE SOME NOISE flashes on the monitors, but the cheesey "meter" measuring the crowd's cheers is silly. Is it really going to help the team win? For them to even put the damn gimmick on the screen at all usually means there's a pause/timeout in play anyway...

17. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    God I miss those games.

Sieve!
    Sieve!
    Sieve!
    Sieve!
    Sieve!
    Sieve!

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Goal tending in the NBA.............................why should good defensive effort be punished? In baseball, if an outfielder reaches over the wall to rob someone of a homerun, it's not a homerun!

19. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    It really doesn't take a whole lot of skill for a seven-footer to goal-tend. If they legalized it, the league scoring average would freefall.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, all Yao would have to do would be stand under the basket and goaltend EVERYTHING, which he probably could, along with various other players. There's no fun in that :p

21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Does any sport need to have scoring consistently avove 75 points? If you can't put it in the basket because a defender is there to stop you, you don't deserve to score. Make the baskets higher if you don't like it, but don't say someone can't defend their goal.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That would not happen! :p

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    If the basket stayed at 10 feet, it would.

24. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    My fellow Canadiens fans need to stop that stupid "Ole Ole Ole" chant. It's hockey, not soccer.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Never heard that in my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.