main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things that NEED to go away at sporting events

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthTunick , Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Yeah, I'm way off base. It's not like goal tending has been illegal for decades.

Seriously, think about it. There wouldn't even be a point to playing defense if goal-tending were legal.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Drunk people doing cheers for a team that isn't involved in the game.

Some Wofford fan was doing the Seminole chop and warchant (badly) during yesterday's game and even as a Nole student, it was driving me crazy. Just no.

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Drunk loud people, yes.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    In California they have no beer guys who walk around the stadium. You have to get up and get it yourself. :(

5. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    I've never actually purchased alcohol at a sporting event. I just sneak my own liquor in.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've never purchased alcohol at a sporting event either. My budget simply can't take a hit that large.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't care for drinking alcohol anyways, so obviously drunk fans frequently annoy me. Though I don't think alcohol is sold at college games... theres enough drinking beforehand to still be obnoxious.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Whatever are you talking about R...J?

Alcohol is strictly prohibited in the tailgaiting area at Ohio State, and I'm sure that's the rule at most other major programs. How could they be drinking beforehand?

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh] Oh yeah, I forgot about that. No, no alcohol in tailgating here 8-}

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm not saying you're off base. Obviously the rule has been around for a long time. And I'm certainly not going to get into it here, but of all the sports I can think of, basketball(at least the nba) lets the rules get in the way of playing the game more than any other, and I find that these take away from it to such an extent that I can hardly be bothered to watch it, I find the stoppage of play so distracting.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, sometimes when the scoreboard posts the score of a division or conference rival losing, the crowd will cheer. Not quite the same thing, but still...

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    People need stop booing former players every time they touch the ball, puck, or whatever. I can understand if it's their first game back but sometimes fans do it when it's been more than a year! Honestly, how long can you hold a grudge for?

EDIT: And it's not just former players it's also players from rival teams that they boo for whatever longstanding reason.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Really depends on who the former player in question is. I don't see a problem with Lakers fans, for example, booing Shaq whenever he comes to visit. Plus, booing can sometimes help throw off that player's game, which is helpful to the home team.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, sometimes when the scoreboard posts the score of a division or conference rival losing, the crowd will cheer. Not quite the same thing, but still...

Not the same thing at all. This was every time Wofford looked like it might score, or every time they got 2 strikes on a Carolina batter, etc. If we'd been playing FSU, it would be one thing. But wrong team! Come on!

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    It can also add fuel to the fire and make them play better.

16. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    What about the balloons handed out to the fans sitting behind the baskets?

I've always thought it would be a good idea for everybody to switch it up and be dead-silent when someone's at the line.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Silence wouldn't work, but people need to be smarter about how they do it - coordinated, not just random. A few schools (Duke included) do it right, but not many.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I don't care (as if they would need that extra motivation anyway)....................it makes for a fun experience. For example, at the T'Wolves/Lakers game I was at last Friday night, when Kevin McHale's name was first announced, I booed loudly.

What about the balloons handed out to the fans sitting behind the baskets?

I HATE that, SO, SO, much. Once last season I sat behind one of the baskets, which happend to be the visitors side for the 2nd half.................................my head almost exploded by the end of that night.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't mind if people do it when a name is announced, I'm specifically talking about booing every time they touch the ball. People just need to get over these things at some point.

20. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    "JAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNVILLLLLLLEEEEEEE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRSSSSSSSSSSSST DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWN!"

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The booing can get out of hand.

22. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    Amen to that. Booing is a Yankee Stadium classic. I went to a game two years ago, and it was the most boring game in the world, one of the more boring pitcher's duels that you see, both pitchers had no less than 10 Ks each.

But the crowd booed everyone and everything, from Arod, to Jeter (yes Jeter), to the other team, to the batboy, to the beer seller (he ran out of beer), to even a seagull that landed on a seat.

Yes, booing can get out of hand, but whatelse do you do when your attending a very boring game.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Convince yourself that the game is exciting?

Booing does get way out of hand... though I don't like it in the first place.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I have no problem with booing at sporting events. I boo a lot at sporting events, not entirely because I've mainly attending events in Cleveland. :p (just figured I'd beat you all to the punch is all)

My only problem is if the booing crosses over to profanity and/or slurs, which have no place. Now, if someone wants to do research to do an up-to-date and individualized heckle, I'm all about that. Just no slurs or profane language.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    In other words, no "I ****ed your (underage) sister." *coughMarylandcough*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.