main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things that should be limited to happening once in EU books.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MaceWinducannotdie, Oct 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    A character turning to/from dark side (once per character is VERY generous still).

Someone trying to seduce Corran.

Someone saying how much they miss the old days when it was simply shoot the stormtroopers and blow up the battlestation instead of all this politics stuff.

Corran suffering wounds that would be mortal if not for the miracle substance of Thyferra.

Mirax hinting at what will happen when Corran returns from his dangerous mission.

We think a character is dead but he's really just down behind enemy lines/hiding out to lure his/her enemies into the open/transferring his/her essence to a clone.

The Massassi Temple is destroyed.

Leia goes into action mode after a while of political stuff (or vice versa).

Boba Fett gets a new ship (was there ever a Slave 3 or did that one kind of get skipped).

Luke has a failed relationship before he realizes he and Mara are meant for each other.

Additions are welcome.

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    And why is it that some of these things, or even all of them, should only happen once?

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The Leia action mode is the only one that NEVER needs to be stopped

4. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    how's about people dieing. You don't want the same person to die more then once.

5. Jayd

Jayd Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Good one, Vong.

My addition: superweapons. Should have only happened once. They get OLD, FAST.

6. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    How about somebody dying and then coming back as a clone? And especially if it's the same person. Palpatine's tomb stone probably has more dates than Don Juan!

7. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    -Any new "unbelievably powerful threat that could destroy the galalxy!" (aka Empire, Chiss, Ssi-Ruuvi, Vong, Seti Ashgad!!!!!!, Kueller, etc etc.)

8. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Bevel Lemelisk has like 8 dates.
    He got killed eight times!

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    because naturally, things only happen once in life, eh?

10. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    How about people getting captured or kidnapped? At least every major character has been captured at least once, if not more. And I agree with Jayd. Two superweapons were more than enough.

11. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    one superweapon per story arc. how about that one?

No, one superweapon per author! That would have put a spanner in the works for KJA...

12. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Define superweapon. Was Darksaber? It couldn't destroy a planet, so I would say no

JAT, you had the Prototype and the Suncrusher. A prototype is realistic thing, so that is hardly a bad thing. So, just the Suncrusher.

Zahn ahd cloaked ships and clones. If Daksaber is a superweapon, so are they!

13. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    A superweapon in my mind:

A weapon with the potential to obliterate everything in a gargantuan and prodigious region instantly.

14. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    oh, and characters should only "explode" once per book. Jaina exploded too much in Keyes' books :)

15. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Kidnapping of the heroes' young children. At most, one per child. It was just pathetic with Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin.

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, on earth in military terms a SuperWeapon refers to any weapon that is vastly superior to another forces weapons, pushing the odds in that sides favor, and has no way of being countered.

17. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    but they all have been countered :)

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    So, I guess, they weren't really superweapons, ;). And we can have as many more as they put into the story, ;).

No really, the only reason they counter many of them is because of Super Heroes in the force or pure luck, and because the goodguys always have to prevail. But they would still be classified as super weapons. Because they are technology vastly superior to what the rebels have.

19. JediSilverstar

JediSilverstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    I agree with the no more superweapons rule under one condition. If they develop one that is vastly innovative. Like no weapon ever thought of before... then it would be acceptable. But no more Death Star/Centerpoint/Eye of Palpatine lasers that blow stuff up.

20. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    How about a Vong creation that eats planets and spits out finished ships?

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    How about something that would be technologically possible? At least in the SW Universe?

How could a ship eat a planet? And then make ships out of it? :p

22. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    How can a laser come out of a metal handle? Suspend your disbelief.

23. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    I have a laser that comes out of a metal handle. Annoys the hell out of people when they find a red dot on themselves, too. ;)

24. Tahiri_2

Tahiri_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    Though I love the action in SW novels, I hate when the characters say that they are going to go take a break. Every time someone says that its a dead give away that some things going to happen. Every time! Let them rest or don't be so obvious... and i hate all super weapons, all of them.

cat- lol

25. Jayd

Jayd Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Superweapons: Death Star 1 and 2 (but that was credible), Suncrusher (I HATE that thing), Darksaber (that was just STUPID), Centerpoint, pretty much everything the Yuuzhan Vong use, like that thing that brings down moons. Gah! Too many superweapons! Oh and that Maw Death Star thingy. That was SO dumb. It's like KJA can't write a book without using a superweapon to blow things up!

Cloaked ships are not superweapons. Superweapons destroy things by brute force, rather than cunning.

And I agree with whoever said so, that if there is another inventive one, that would be all right. But it'd have to be REALLY inventive.

And the kidnapping of the Solo kids got a bit old for me too! Geez. Over and over again...

I think KJA should have had many constraints put on him. One - no more superweapons! Two - talk with the creators of new characters (eg Callista, Mara) so you can get them right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.