main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Things You Can't Unsee From the Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SlashMan, Feb 9, 2016.

1. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Speaking of matte paintings in RotJ, There was one scene on Endor when Leia and co were looking down to the tractor-beam facility that was so obvious it might have been from The Wizard of Oz or some film from that era. It looked like they were peering at a wall a few feet away, which they were.

2. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    Apparently when they filmed the scene they had one of the stunt-men (in a green suit to allow the chroma key) with one of their aluminium sabre sticks that they used in filming while somebody else read the lines and cues off stage. The situation was so far removed from the film that McGregor just didn't know how to react.
    I wonder whether he even knew what Grievous looked and/or sounded like for filming the scene. The whole sequence is just so far removed from how real people would act that it just takes me out of the film. A shame, as the effects were quite good.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Apparently Richard Marquand considered using the full-size Falcon exterior (used in the deleted sandstorm scene) for the Rebel hangar scenes later in ROTJ. He decided against it for budgetary reasons, since GL was concerned about cost overruns. The result was a very fake-looking matte painting. This pretty much exempliefies Marquand's directing style, at least as JW Rinzler paints it in his Making of ROTJ book -- too loyal to his producer to even ask whether the film would suffer for his budget-saving efforts.

Darth__Lobot and Tosche_Station like this.
  4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Yeah, he just stands there perfectly fine and gives a smirk. I get he is a Jedi and can be calm but it does take the realism out of the scene. Plus, why did he ever drop down and let him take out his sabers? He could've just threw his saber through Grievous' heart immediately but he let him get the sabers out lol

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    In every SW movie there are compromises made to reduce the budget, sometimes resulting in fake-looking shots (Empire features an equally fake-looking matte painting of the Hoth Rebel hangar in one of the scenes). The romantic idea of doing whatever it takes to make the film look perfect is both impossible and inpractical. That's why many of the potentially-great Dagobah scenes with Yoda were never filmed, for example.

However, it must be said that this is only a problem for hardcore fans who analyze every frame of the film, often taking them out of context, which makes the mistakes look bigger than they really are (I doubt any casual viewer would notice the matte-painting in question... I certainly never did until I read about it around here .... )

6. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    Eh. The amount of illogical actions in the entire Utapau sequence is staggering when you think about it carefully.

7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    ObiWanKnowsMe and SlashMan like this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    One final nail in the coffin for the Ponda Baba scene; he gets his left arm cut off, and the right arm appears on the floor:
    [​IMG]
    Even in the original shoot, the right arm is holding the gun. Not sure how no one caught that, unless he holds his gun upside-down.

Regarding the Millennium Falcon matte from Return of the Jedi, one thing always seemed strange... they ended up building a full-scale model anyways
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure which scene came first, but they really screwed up either way; they didn't use a full prop due to budgetary constraints > they build a full model on a scene that gets cut.

I believe this is the poster you're referring to?
    http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/1178836.jpg
    Never really bothered me, as they just used a promotional still of Grievous, just like there's pictures of him wielding two lightsabers like he did in the Clone Wars, but never did in the film (he also never wore his cape while brandishing his lightsabers). He also has completely different lightsabers (including Luke's, it looks like). Which if we're looking at this beyond the lens of just being a promotional image, it isn't hard to imagine for someone who collects lightsabers.

Though for your other discovery, you're completely right; the "Anakin" lightsaber does change colors.
    Original color:
    http://caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-6799.jpg
    Changed:
    http://caps.pictures/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-6903.jpg
    Also worth noting that that scene used to confuse the heck out of me because it looked like he had two right arms remaining, but the severed hands do remain consistent (even though it would be hard to pull off that pose). The shot looks cooler with blue and green blades as opposed to what should be just green at that point. Still a mistake, though.

Lt. Hija and ATMachine like this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    that's one thing that surprisingly doesnt bother me when I watch RotJ, it happens so quickly I dont notice lol

10. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan's two finger Vegeta point.

11. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    SlashMan the Ponda Baba scene is a good case of making mistakes and still salvaging a very good little scene out of it. I remember reading that the shaky camera in the scene was intended to cover up for the incorrect arm types or something like that. Yet it added immensely to the tone of the scene, with the seedy atmosphere erupting into sudden chaos, conveyed by the camera movement, which blows over as quickly as it came.
    Very good example of how being less-than-perfect can make a better film.

ATMachine likes this.
  12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The Making off book explains it really well. They just re-used the model they had stored from Empire to shoot the sandstorm scene (which was the first scene to shoot, in the very first day), and they they took it away as fast as possible to build new sets. The Rebel hangar set wasn't big enough to include the Falcon (The Falcon is a huge prop, so every set in Empire had to be designed AROUND it), and its scenes were shot in the very last days of principal photography.

SlashMan likes this.
  13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Ah, that explains it all oierem

14. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Star Wars is done like Stage/Theater to some degree.

...There is honor in Jedi. Maul/obiwan/quigon, obiwan/Anakin. They all disrobe and take stance.

15. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    Even if that stance is ridiculous (If Obi-wan was fencing on Utapau he could have started how he did, as long as the lightsaber was in the other hand)
    Speaking of disrobing, General Grievous strips naked before his duel with Obi-wan. Consider that for a moment.

16. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    What do you mean and how does that correlate to the point?

17. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    I was replying to the english in the sentence. Funny that you say that, because I didn't see how your point correlated with my general point either, hence my *interesting* reply. I think we should agree to forget this and start over again (where's the emoji for 'cringe'?)

18. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    It was a response as to why Obi Wan didn't simply throw his saber at Grevious from afar...

19. KaleeshEyes

Feb 16, 2016
    Yeah, but I thought the point a made was a bit more general than that.
    Heck, I'm so confused. Please refer to previous post.

20. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Oh, and now having watched that, I keep wondering how Obi-wan lacks any injuries or scarring despite being kicked in the face five times.

ATMachine likes this.
  21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." I agree with MidKnighT. They didn't need to indirectly attack a person in real life who doesn't agree with their beliefs in a Star Wars movie. I'm fine with historical and mythological references, but that was going too far.

There's nothing that I outright "can't unsee" from the movies though.

22. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Because he hasn't done as much practice with Saber Throwing as Kyle Katarn has, so his stats are less high.

23. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Do you think he was trying to find Spock to learn Vulcan mind grip, just like Kylo Ren?

24. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Define "he" in that sentence.

25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002