main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Things you don't like about ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    really the only thing I don't like about ROTS is the sound Boga makes, it was really annoying in the theaters cause it was so loud

2. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015

You contradict yourself

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed.

Again disagreed.

Just rewatched those scenes.

In TCW, Anakin is much more confident then. He knows he can defeat Barriss. He has the advantage of being older, more experienced, and stronger.

In ROTS, which probably takes place several months to over a year after that TCW episode. Not sure about the time line, but anyway a lot has happened since that episode. Ahsoka left. Anakin has probably seen and experienced a lot since and it's nothing good. He has trust issues with the Jedi and co. Anakin is much quieter. Which actually quite Vader-like. Also you have to remember Anakin is really afraid there and has good reason to be. Dooku is taunting him, "I sense great fear in you Skywalker. You have hate. You have anger, but you don't use them." While Anakin wouldn't admit it, deep down, he knows Dooku is right. Most importantly, Dooku has defeated him before. Not mention Anakin has a permanent reminder of his loss, his right hand. Also Dooku has just hurt Obi-Wan and "abducted" his good friend, Palpatine. He's already lost two loved ones, his mother and Ahsoka.

4. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't like

-Padme's death(I really dislike this. Jar Jar was done better in ROTS. Padme isn't to the type to lay down and die when there is no reason)
    -Obi-wan saying "Only a Sith deals in absolutes"
    -Palpatine fake looking face after lightning
    -Anakin's turn I think was done poorly.
    -"fakeness" of the scenes. Too much green screen in my opinion
    -R2-D2
    -Grievous vs Obi-wan
    -Some of the dialogue and they way it sounds. Padme-"How can you stay that?" (it sounds fake the way it's said)
    -Dooku's death
    -It seemed rushed too. ROTS should have been longer.
    -Some of the things Palpatine does during his fights.

5. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    I was mainly talking about the acting, and the fact that a cartoon portrayed and acted Anakin better. Anakin should have unleashed some darkside powers on Dooku, in front of Palpatine and while Obi-Wan was unconscious, that would have given us a better idea that Anakin was on the verge of turning.

6. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I think the fight between agen kolar, saesee tinn, kit fisto and mace windu vs palpantine could of been handled so much better that scene could of been one of the best duels in the films but the three jedi master dies instantly.
    And lastly i dont like that dialogue between anakin vs obiwan on mustsfar when anakin said "in my point of view the jedi are evil" geogre lucas could of came up with a better line then that.

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Anakin's turn made sense from a character-based and story-logic basis, but happened extremely quickly. In one scene he seems genuinely shocked and surprised about his role in Mace's death, but a few minutes later he's got glowing eyes and a smug evil smirk as he chops young children apart without any apparent qualms. Seems a bit iffy, maybe he should have been a bit more conflicted about the latter but convinced himself it had to be done.

The Sidious vs four Jedi fight was a bit rubbish also, mostly as for some reason they got poor old Ian Mcdiarmid to do the fighting himself. Not only do we have four Masters (hyped up as expert duellists by dialogue) displaying Maul-vs-Obi-Wan levels of duelling incompetence but to me (someone who admittedly watches probably too many films) it was obvious that Mace/Samuel L Jackson was much quicker and stronger throughout their personal fight and it was being dragged out by plot not ability. Also in fight terms, the bit in the Anakin vs Obi-Wan fight where they wave their swords around in the air and miss each other completely just looks silly. I know it was MEANT to be 'they're so evenly matched!' but, c'mon man. It looked stupid.

The clunky dialogue on the other hand I really didn't mind much, that's part and parcel of Star Wars to me, so much so I find myself actually hoping for a meme-level clunker of a line in Episode 7.

8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Anakin does.

Remember how I was saying Anakin was afraid and what did the Jedi say in the PT, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Anakin turned his fear into a weapon. Ever noticed how much quicker and more aggressive his moves get as the duel goes on? Always reminded me of ROTJ. Also Anakin is clearly mad right around the 2:22 mark.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    There is not overly much Cushy is fond of in RotS. The chief things I dislike are how false many of the visuals particularly of Mustafar appear and just how shallowly hypercritical the Jedi are.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That doesn't matter it still looks very false.

Messi likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What's false?

JoshieHewls and Saga Explorer like this.
  13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    EDIT: I'm removing this myself. Not gonna lie, read it and realized I sounded like a jerk.

14. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Some of the acting and dialogue, mainly. Grievous' death sucked and Dooku was killed too early. Anakin's turn seemed a little rushed, however they had a lot of ground to cover in this movie, and I think they did it particularly well. Plus, Sidious taking down 3 Jedi Masters in several seconds was just ridiculous.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It looks as real as anything in Star Wars can possibly be if your threshold for "real" is Earth.

That being the case then one can only assume that the Death Stars are very false, not to mention all the ships and vehicles, Cloud City, various aspects of Tatooine amongst any other number of things.

Here is Mount Etna right here on Earth. You may have heard about this place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EECHUUTA and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Hummmm...There are so many things that I dislike in ROTS. I'll try to remember some of them:

1 - The initial battle: There's no emotion in that space battle. Too much color, information, even the fighters don't look nice;
    2 - R2-D2: Flying and destroying those superdoids with oil and fire, looks stupid and the CGI its poor;
    3 - Dooku/Obi-Wan/Anakin duel: Again another duel with no passion, emotion;
    4 - Hayden and Nathalie bad acting: Same in AOTC. I just like Padme in TPM to be honest;
    5 - Transformation of Palpatine: Mcdiarmid acting in his transformation is horrible;
    6 - Yoda vs. Palpatine: I don't like the Yoda CGI, I don't like Yoda fighting, and now we have two characters that I love fighting. It is not interesting to see that.
    7 - Padme dying: What a stupid way to die....
    8 - I forgot to mention Grievous, what a poor villain they created to the saga.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  17. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Where in the movie (or in the saga) is it said that he didn't change the surname?

18. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Why would he bother changing Luke's surname? The Emperor thought Anakin's offspring were dead and Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead, and he was on an outer rim world that the Emperor didn't give a crap about.

19. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Where is the thread about "Things you LIKED about ROTS"? If there is one.

mes520 likes this.
  20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Revenge of the Sith is my favorite out of the PT, so my complaints about it are fewer than TPM, and far fewer than AotC. It's mostly down to some clunky lines of dialogue/awkward delivery. The romantic dialogue between Anakin and Padme continues to be cringe-inducing, but fortunately there's far less of it than in Attack of the Clones. "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!" "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil." I genuinely have a hard time taking that exchange seriously, it's just awkward. I do agree that some more time could have been devoted to Anakin's fall, or at the very least have him show some conflict with what he was being asked to do, but I didn't find it unconvincing, so it's not too big of a deal to me. And yeah, Sidious does look/act way over-the-top in some scenes, the Jedi that went up against him should have put up more of a fight, and there's a few little things here and there, but that's about it.

All in all, it's better than The Phantom Menace and a significant improvement from Attack of the Clones. More than that, it's genuinely just a really good Star Wars film, and it comes dangerously close to the OT's level of quality. The Order 66 sequence is still thrilling to watch, in a "and now everything goes to crap" kind of way, and "You were my brother, Anakin... I loved you" has successfully gotten me to tear up every time I've watched it. It's flawed, and there's a couple of things I really dislike, but I still love it. Lucas has every reason to feel proud of the work he did on the film, even if I get the feeling he wasn't 100% into it.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said even though I don't share all your views. =D=

Glad it works for you, QRB.

PymParticles likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    -----------------------------

23. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    The "No, I'm too weak" part of Mace v Sidious. It's cringey. Also the fact that the masters in the beginning of that Duel go down like they do.

24. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Easily the best in the entire saga? That's some claim!

Messi likes this.
  25. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Hayden's acting, poor chemistry between Anakin and Padme, most scenes being either walking or sitting down, lack of exposition on Darth Plagueis, the fact the novelization was infinitely better than the movie itself