Things you like to see in writing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Melyanna, Oct 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Julie suggested in the Biggest turn-offs when reading fics? thread that someone start a thread for things we like to see. This isn't just about plot; it's about everything that makes writing good.

So I'll start.

I love believable characters. I love to see established characters written convincingly. Original characters can be even better when they're not cut from patterns out of cardboard.

Your turn...
  2. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I like clever dialogue. I'll always remember great lines in a book.
  3. Eldritch009 Jedi Master

star 4
    I would have to say originality and detail.

I agree on the believable characters. There must be something there to identify yourself with.
  4. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Humor. Not silly or weird humor, but humor nevertheless. I like a slightly dark and very dry sense of humor in stories I read.
  5. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I love unexpected but apt metaphors and similes.
  6. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I love a post that leaves me wanting to cry for good reasons. Like the post-tattooing scene between Anakin and Leia in The Penitent, anything from the last half of Soldier's Dance, or Jade_Angel's last post on Tests of Time. In the EU, I just finished SxS and one scene (around page 456) involving Han, Leia and a certain spoilered event had me on the verge of tears for an hour. Writing that digs deep and reminds me of my own humanity is what I love.

I also live for tongue-in-cheek humor.
  7. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thinking about SBS, I love hopeless stands against impossible odds. When hope is gone, when there is no hope of victory, and a character makes one last defiant gesture. Even when it?s a character that I don?t like, showing that sort of heroism in the face of disaster is still heart-wrenching. When a character I like does it, it?s even better. I just love it when a character knows that they?re going to die, and still continues on, still fighting until darkness falls.
  8. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    lines, humor, and believable characters. main 3 components, IMO.

(though sometimes humor comes in wrong places; I'm not including those times)
  9. Vonn Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd already started a thread on this.
  10. Veng_Commando Jedi Master

star 4
    I love love... dun ask... and I like humor... all rihgt ask... and I like torure... dun even
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.