main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you like to see in writing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Melyanna, Oct 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Julie suggested in the Biggest turn-offs when reading fics? thread that someone start a thread for things we like to see. This isn't just about plot; it's about everything that makes writing good.

So I'll start.

I love believable characters. I love to see established characters written convincingly. Original characters can be even better when they're not cut from patterns out of cardboard.

Your turn...

2. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I like clever dialogue. I'll always remember great lines in a book.

3. Eldritch009

Eldritch009 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    I would have to say originality and detail.

I agree on the believable characters. There must be something there to identify yourself with.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Humor. Not silly or weird humor, but humor nevertheless. I like a slightly dark and very dry sense of humor in stories I read.

5. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I love unexpected but apt metaphors and similes.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I love a post that leaves me wanting to cry for good reasons. Like the post-tattooing scene between Anakin and Leia in The Penitent, anything from the last half of Soldier's Dance, or Jade_Angel's last post on Tests of Time. In the EU, I just finished SxS and one scene (around page 456) involving Han, Leia and a certain spoilered event had me on the verge of tears for an hour. Writing that digs deep and reminds me of my own humanity is what I love.

I also live for tongue-in-cheek humor.

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Thinking about SBS, I love hopeless stands against impossible odds. When hope is gone, when there is no hope of victory, and a character makes one last defiant gesture. Even when it?s a character that I don?t like, showing that sort of heroism in the face of disaster is still heart-wrenching. When a character I like does it, it?s even better. I just love it when a character knows that they?re going to die, and still continues on, still fighting until darkness falls.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    lines, humor, and believable characters. main 3 components, IMO.

(though sometimes humor comes in wrong places; I'm not including those times)

9. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I'd already started a thread on this.

10. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I love love... dun ask... and I like humor... all rihgt ask... and I like torure... dun even

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.