1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

Oceania Things you may have Missed in FOTR

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by soneil, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    It probably goes without saying that this will spoil things for those who haven't seen the film but just in case.

Spoiler space

Rather than do the standard this is what I liked about the film style post, I just thought I'd post about some of the smaller things in the films that I thought were particularly cool. Some of them might have been missed by people who haven't read the book. I don't mean the so-called bloopers everyone's been going on about, most of which aren't really bloopers if you pay attention.

When Gandalf was riding in to hobbiton and seeing the preparations he made the comment a long expected party which happens to be the title of the first chapter in the book.

At the party, Bilbo is telling some young hobbits about his encounter with the trolls and how they turned to stone (told in the book The Hobbit). In the novel, as the hobbits and strider were travelling to Rivendell they found those same trolls still turned to stone. In the film, they weren't mentioned but you did see them. They were in the background when Arwen arrives to take Frodo.

In the novel, the orcs from Isengard generally had Saruman's emblem of a white hand on their shields. Lurtz, the leader of the uruk-hai that was added for the film had white war-paint on his face. The second time I saw the film I noticed it's actually a white hand print. Saruman's emblem.

The story of how Gollum got the ring was kept brief but there were hints about the finer details. The hand that picked up the ring from the bottom of the Anduin was a normal looking hand, not a gollum-like hand, hinting at Gollum's origins.

Those that know the book well would have noticed that a lot of the dialogue in the film was taken word-for-word from the book. In some cases the dialogue was spoken in different locations (such as Gandalf and Frodo discussing Gollum in Moria. In the book it was in Bag end but that conversation was alreadly long enough in the film). In other cases certain lines were left out, most likely to avoid it dragging on too much, but keeping the same dialogue added to the feel of them film. Some of the comments that got the biggest reactions from the audience seem to be the ones that were straight from the book so the translation to screen obviously went well. The way the actors delivered the parts obviusly helped a lot though (for example, I love the way Ian Holm did Bilbo's speech at the party).

Peter Jackson's cameo. Only a kiwi director would cast himself as a drunken bum. ;) For those who didn't notice, he was the first person that the Hobbits see up close when they come in to bree. I only noticed him the second time I saw it.

When the hobbits were running from Farmer Maggot's farm, the first things they saw at the bottom of the hill were mushrooms. It seemed to me that it was a hint about part of what had to be cut from that part of the story. In the book, that section of the story is a lot longer but mushrooms played a part. :)
    The decision about what parts to cut/shorten must have been a painful one. It's nice that they left hints for those who know what was cut.

The watery horses. Most people probably noticed them but didn't they look cool? I'm referring to when the river rises up to take away the nazgul and charging horses can be seen in the foaming waves. The river was controlled by the power of Elrond but the horses were Gandalf's added touch as he later explained to Frodo in the book.

That's all I can think of for now.
  2. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks soniel,

I picked up some of those, and to find out the others is quite interesting. another one to add to the list: when the hobbits fall down the slope, at the bottom another chapter name is mentioned: shortcut to mushrooms.

Peter Jackson's cameo. Only a kiwi director would cast himself as a drunken bum.
    dam straight! ;)
  3. The_Scream_Man Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Supposedly there are the names of almost all the chapters spoken in the book.

I liked how when Frodo had the ring on, the Black Riders appeared as the long dead kings they were
  4. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    well, not quite dead, but we know what you mean ;)
  5. Adakin Jedi Knight

star 1
    I loved it when they were all struggling to walk through the snow except Legolas who walking on top of it!
  6. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Yes, seeing Legolas walk on snow was good. And seeing him walk faster than everyone else too ...

And good to see Sam's pony made an appearance, even though he was never really explained...which probably made Sam's reluctance to leave him a bit odd for those not in the know ...

It reminds me a lot of Oscar and Lucinda - you'd miss a lot of things if you hadn't read the book. As if they assumed everyone in the audience had read it...

7. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The worst thing they left out about Sam was his fear of water. That would've made the last scene even better.
  8. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I forgot to mention Legolas on the snow. That was certainly emphasised in the book so it was good to see it in the film.
    I know a lot of things were missed but I keep on hearing that huge amounts of missed scenes were actually filmed and will be restored for the DVD. One I've heard about that was cut is the orcs chasing the fellowship from Moria, and then Gildor and the other elves kicking the orcs' collective butts.
    Plenty of good reasons to look forward to the DVD. I've heard that the DVD content will amount to about 5 hours instead of just 3. Not sure how reliable those rumours are though since I've only head them on newsgroups.
    A pity they didn't mention Frodo's birthday though. The party at the beginning wasn't just for Bilbo's 111st. It was also for Frodo's 33rd birthday which was on the same day. It was his coming of age, sort of like a 21st party for us. I wonder if some of the cut footage that will be restored for DVD will make that clear.
  9. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah i was kinda dissapointed that they didn't show that 17 years passed between the party and Frodo leaving the shire.

Everyone's also kinda wondering how Gandalf got his Staff and Hat back after being imprisoned.
  10. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have no idea where this was written or for what principal reason, but I picked it up off Usenet just now and deals with the Sequels, the DVD release and a PREQUEL idea being thrown around.

An interesting little read.

What to Expect in the Other Lord of the Rings Films
    Also, get the scoop on FOTR cut-scenes, box office results, and the
    possibility of a Hobbit film.

by Paul Davidson
    2002-01-03

While I and other countless Lord of the Rings fans are still drooling
    over the trilogy's first marvelous installment, director Peter Jackson
    and his production crew are making great progress on the other two
    films: The Two Towers and The Return of the King. According to Dark
    Horizons, Jackson dropped hints to the press during some recent
    interviews and press conferences that were held in conjunction with
    the first movie's opening. They have a fairly complete rough cut of
    The Two Towers already finished, as well as a loosely assembled cut of
    Return of the King. Both films will be between two-and-a-half and
    three hours in length with 500 to 600 effects shots, much like the
    first movie.

Jackson confirmed that the Ents and Treebeard will be playing an
    important role in The Two Towers as in the book. Faramir, son of the
    Steward of Gondor, and his romance with Eowyn may also play a more
    emphasized part on-screen than in the book. It was also hinted that
    Arwen's character would appear briefly in the second movie, though she
    is not mentioned in the second book.

The film's principle actors may be returning to New Zealand in May and
    June for any necessary reshoots. There's no word yet on what parts
    might be added or modified.

And here's some good news for fans disappointed by some of FOTR's
    omissions: the DVD, being released later this year, should have an
    extra thirty to forty minutes of footage on it. The additions would
    include some much-needed interaction and development among the members
    of the Fellowship, an important aspect of the book that was weakly
    portrayed in the film. Another addition would include the sequence in
    which Gimli falls for Galadriel, a turning point for his distrust of
    Elves.

While we ponder what is to come, Fellowship of the Rings is doing
    terrific business at the box office. After nearly two weeks of
    release, its domestic take has climbed above $160 million. The second
    weekend saw the fantasy epic easily hold onto first place, with only a
    21% drop from last week and an impressive $11,000 per venue. Fuller
    details can be seen at Box Office Mojo.

With New Line Cinema's risky $270 million investment clearly paying
    off, folks are beginning to ponder the idea of a prequel based on The
    Hobbit. Fellowship co-writer Philippa Boyens discussed the possibility
    in an interview, saying that there were no plans as yet. In addition,
    she stated that The Hobbit, being a more difficult adaption with its
    large number of characters and shifting plotline, might be best left
    to a more experienced writer. At any rate, she and Jackson won't be considering it for a while yet.
  11. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I hope they make The Hobbit; It's better than LOTR, IMO (much more fun, less verbose)

Oh, and apparently in the scene where Sam and Frodo are in Farmer Maggot's field you can see a car drive past in the background.
  12. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    -- Everyone's also kinda wondering how Gandalf got his Staff and Hat back after being imprisoned.

Well, I know for a fact his staff isn't the same one. Look at it closely next time.

Minor Spoilers Ahead

I noticed that Boromir had a symbol of the White Tree of Gondor on his wrist guards. Then, when he was killed Aragorn took them for himself, thereby reuniting himself with Gondor. It was a very short moment, but with lots of meaning.
  13. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

I think it was Roger Ebert who said, (more or less) "What sets LOTR apart from other movies based on books is that it looks like the people making LOTR have actually read the book... when people read a book, it forms an image in their minds. The problem with most movies is that the people making the movie haven't read the book and so the movie is nothing like the book."

14. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Making a film based on the Hobbit would be nice but not easy. It's a completely different kind of story, even if it is from the same author. Remember that the early chapters cut from FOTR were the only ones that really resemled the tone of the hobbit.
    Initially, Tolkien had intended LOTR to be a sequel to The Hobbit. After the first few chapters he decided it would be more of a sequel to The Silmarillion. He kept Tom Bombadil etc because he liked it the way it was but the tone is very different.
    The Hobbit would be a very different kind of film. I'd hate to compare it to Harry Potter but in some ways The Hobbit is more like that than LOTR. I think it certainly appeals to younger audiences even if adults do like it. Would be nice if they did it but it wouldn't be easy. Then again, I was doubtful that a decent movie could be made to do justice to LOTR but I've been proven wrong.
    Now the Silmarillion. That I would love to see on film though I won't hold my breath. Probably wouldn't work well as a film but it might make a good mini series, just like the recent one of Dune. I'd really love to see Feanor fight his way to Gothmog. Or see Fingolfin's last fight. The fall of Gondolin. Awesome stories.
  15. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    well the thing i noticed most was right at the end of the film. Every female aged under 50 (and i dare say some of the guys) were swooning over old man legolas. :)
  16. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sil is indeed correct. Gandalf does infact get the Eagle to drop him off at the Local Middle-/Earth Staff Store (MESS) for a new staff after Isengard and before Rivendell.

possible spoiler for those who have not read the book

And Gandalf is shown getting a new staff again as Gandalf the white in The two Towers

:p :D

END SPOILER

The thing with Legolas walking on top of the snow is great and the speed and swiftness across land is also shown at the end of the film.

"Lets hunt some orc" - Aragorn

then Gimli and Legolas run into the forest gimli goes to the left and legolas to the right - legolas easily overtakes the dwarf and is quickly ahead of him.

oh and you may have missed the "gift giving scene" in Lothlorien as they cut it. :mad: - I WANT THE DVD :p
  17. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooooh ahhhhh, i was just wondering about the DVD last night. Do you think it will be released mid-year? or around november, to add to TTT hype?

18. Adakin Jedi Knight

star 1
    Supposedly it is to be released in August!
    It will have a trailer or making of for the Two Towers a la when Phantom Menace came out on Video.
  19. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ummm hard to say. I believe it will be released (similar to the TMP DVD) with the TTT trailer on. For this to be a "influencing factor to purchasing the DVD" it must be released during the hype and before the trailer is released on the net/in theaters etc.

soooo TTT due X-Mas..... DVD probably around August September hopefully!

The hype for the TTT wont start until after AOTC (though some at LOTR forums are starting already :p) As have I - I came out of the movie (2nd time) wanting the next movie already :D
  20. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Maybe not something people missed, but a great touch was the speed of Legolas with his bow and arrow...

And Galadriel wearing the Elven Ring ...

And ...
  21. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    hehe - yea!

When they are running down the rocks after exiting the Mines of Moria Legolas is seen overtaking all as they run down. Also this can be seen in the Mines when they run down the stairs after the bridge collapsing.

I loved Legolas with his arrows. The Urak Hai fight scene where he and Gilmi come to Aragorns aid. Two orcs come toward Legolas - he fires one arrow into both orcs necks (directly behind each other) then pulls another arrow out and stabs an apporaching orc in the neck with it - then puts it on his bow and shoots another quick-flash :p

(seen the movie only twice - but i was "watching!" :D)
  22. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Now this one might be stretching things, but I don't remember if it was in the book or not (even though i just read it), but I was reading the books on the writing of LOTR by Tolkien's son and noticed things like Bilbo speech at his party, when he calls them "Proudfoots" and one of them corrects him with "Proudfeet," which was actually their original name in the first draft... but that is probably just coincidence.

23. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Their real name is infact Proutfoots. In the movie PJ has made it as if the old man is "out of his tree" (drunk as a skunk) and he is Proud of his feet (which are on the table) and yells "PROUD FEET!" IMO (not sure about the book though - which is the correct source)
  24. Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Ok - some more interesting things most people would miss. When the Hobbits are escaping Farmer Maggot's farm after stealing some vegetables they fall down a slope onto a road. Merry says something like "We were taking a short cut" Sam says "A shortcut to where?" "Mushrooms!" says Pip as he sees some mushrooms on the side of the road. A Shortcut to Mushrooms is the name of a chapter in LOTR.

The three statue things that Aragorn and the hobbits are resting near after Frodo is stabbed by the Nazgul on Weathertop are actually the three trolls that turned to stone when they were debating eating Bilbo in The Hobbit.
  25. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    hey I picked up that one first!

"another one to add to the list: when the hobbits fall down the slope, at the bottom another chapter name is mentioned: shortcut to mushrooms."

OK, so I was slightly off, it was "shortcut to where?...mushrooms!" [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.