main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Things you miss about old, obsolete technologies.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What were/are your '2 minutes left to fill on a side' go-to song(s)?

Mine was Everyday by Buddy Holly, and Travellin' Band by CCR. Later Song 2 by Blur.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I liked using 'For Pete's Sake' - the closing song for the Monkees TV show. :p

jp-30 likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh, what?

Every DVD player I've ever owned has the ability to go frame by frame by slowing down the speed of fast forward or rewind.

I guess I miss blowing in video game cartridges.

ma_petite likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, yeah, if you go slow. But that gets tedious, yes?

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have to agree with VHS players. I remember getting an early one in the 80's. You had to press and hold FF/Rewind on the remote for it to work - later on, you pressed it and it kept FF'ing/rewinding.

I loved that you would buy the tapes, and if you recorded something special - often when a guest VJ was playing your favourite songs on a music video show (Rage, in Australia) - you broke the tab off to protect it.

WHen I got back from overseas my parents had gotten rid of the VCR and all the VHS tapes. I was half-way through a 6-cassette documentary on the Cold War and now I'll never know how it ended. :(

Yes. A mixtape wasn't just the end result of the music. It was a thing, something you invested in and planned and put thought into the order and limits of the cassette. It wasn't just music, it was a symbol of how much you cared for the recipient.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You can still get these. My girlfriend has a polaroid camera. It's pretty expensive to actually take pictures with though/ :p

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I used to dub songs off the radio. I occasionally got the DJ's voice over the beginning of the song, but it was still cheaper than buying a cassette or a "cassette single".

I miss the expression "You sound like a broken record." I used that on my kids and they had no idea what the hell I was talking about.

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    People don't know what "sounding like a broken record" means anymore? Damn, now I feel old, and I grew up in the CD era.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I miss having 50 threads per page.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    the old PlayStation start up sound

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember when my family had a satellite dish in the 1980s (This was before cable came to our area, since we live in a predominately rural area). The dish was a big old thing, and when you changed stations, it would move to correspond to where the satellite for it was in the sky. We didn't get the movie channels like HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime, because my dad didn't want to pay for them, so we had to wait for free preview weekends to get our taste for them. I remember that's how my brother and I watched '80s cartoons like G.I. Joe and Transformers.

Eventually, it got to the point to where we could get cable, and that was cheaper, so we ditched the satellite. By '98, we went back to satellite for a while (Primestar) because our cable company was offering us jack squat in programming (no Comedy Central, no Sci-Fi Channel, no Cartoon Network, you get the idea). With Primestar, I admired how smaller the dish was compared to the older one we had, and it didn't even had to move, it just had to be in line of sight of Primestar's satellite.

Eventually, Primestar got bought out by Dish Network, and we were with them for a little while, but we didn't like how their service went out during a rainstorm and the like. So when the cable company was offering better programming like the aforementioned channels, we went back to them.

Why do I bring this up here? Well, there were some things I liked about that old satellite dish, like station codes were letter-number combinations like T1-G3 or something like that. Getting to see programs as they were sent to TV stations was one. That was the way I saw those '80s cartoons I mentioned earlier, not to mention the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Seeing that on Sunday afternoons was a real treat. For some reason, ABC would repeat their evening news at 7 and 7:30 P.M until the start of primetime programming, so it pretty much allowed us kids to watch something at 6:30 and my parents could watch the news later.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I still have a VHS - I use it to tape day-to-day stuff that I'll only watch once. I do have DVD players (2 portable - one a BluRay). And I had to buy a new radio for the bedroom earlier this year as my 20-year-old boom box with cassette player/recorder finally died. However, I was able to find a Sony one in town here that has both a CD player and cassette player/recorder. (Smaller than the boom-box as well.) So all my tapes aren't obsolete yet!

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Definitely everything about vinyl records... the giant cover art, setting the needle, the rich sound.

The magic of hearing your favorite song on the radio, which meant something in the days before everything was on demand.

The sound and feel of the channel turner on the TV.

14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I miss the vinyl record player my Dad used to have. He eventually got rid of it for space reasons but he still has most of the vinyls.

Better than TV

15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I hate dialing up, but I have a special fondness for that sound the modem makes when it's connecting to the internet, almost like nostalgia I guess.

Also because back in the late '90s and turn of the millennium getting on the internet was almost sort of a special occasion. The sound just created all this anticipation: Am I going to have any emails? Is anyone going to be on my AOL buddy list to chat? etc.

Jensaarai1219 likes this.
  16. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I miss cars with tape decks, but only because cassette tape adapters for mp3 players are much better than the FM radio adapters and there is no such thing as a "CD adapter" and yet cars that have CD players have no way for you to play your mp3 player. Grrr.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    [​IMG]

Sometimes I miss having some of these things.

18. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    There is something satisfying about ending a conversation and closing a flip phone that's missing from smartphones.

19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember when my family first bought a Betamax VCR, I liked how the inside of the recorder smelled. I don't think I've smelled any electronics like it since.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I still use a flip phone... got a new one this past summer. As long as they make them, I'll use one.

Juliet316 and Healer_Leona like this.
  21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The existence of physical buttons and the fact that the screen's protected are nice flip-phone features too.

Lowbacca_1977 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh I understand, and I agree, that's the only thing about the quality of videotapes that is better than DVDs.

I just added in that I still have my own VCR, mostly because my tape collection still vastly outnumbers my DVD collection. I have over 300 video tapes, and about 3 dozen DVDs. Says a lot more about me and my family than anything else :p

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I learned to program in BASIC. I'm a DOS baby. It was really hard to switch to windows. We had an anacronym for it:
    Windows
    Icon
    Mouse
    Pointer

I have forgotten most of the DOS commands I had memorized. Now everything is pre-programmed and you don't have to really know anything about a computer in order to use one.

Once at work, just in the last year, I had to use my DOS smarts to fix the register's computer because it was an old DOS-based system and the company no longer supported that machine. Then we switched to Quick Books. And I feel stupid because it's not a system I can fix.

I have VHS tapes right now, but no VCR. :(

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Many modern cars have USB ports and plugs for a headphone-wire thing.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Your smart phone can't help you differentiate between 'past' and 'passed' though.