main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Things you miss about old, obsolete technologies.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Rach, Netflix doesn't count because it still comes from the internet instead of a cable provider. DUH.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, also it is relying on robots instead of human beings to pick movies for you. Would you let a robot decorate your house? Will a robot pick out your wedding dress on the day of your marriage? Should a robot choose which classics of literature our children read in school? Then why are you listening to robots on this point of artistic discretion?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Big talk, coming from a robot.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    How is a robot picking the movie? The person is still going through a selection and picking which movie/show he/she will watch. The movies are presented in a different medium, but there'still a selection for people to go through and choose.

Why am I allowing myself to be trolled by this fool? :p

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That is not true, harpuah. I know from firsthand experience because Even insisted that I try it. Besides it being awful and never having the movies I required, there were these "recommendations" that kept popping up. But there was no flesh and blood that interacted with me. These things came from wires and gears and electricity. It was a robot presuming to "recommend" a film. Do not try to deny it.

Life likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Blech, Blockbuster was almost always awful. New releases were frequently out of stock (happens with Netflix but rarely), apathetic underpaid employees were behind the counter, and people would hold up the lines applying for the cards ('cause they were required IIRC) and asking about the aforementioned out-of-stock movies. Plus the late fees (later known as "restocking fees") until Blockbuster was declining and got desperate.

Also, I have gotten wocky to approve of Netflix streaming on Blu-ray players before because it's on "real" televisions.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Well... I guess you could say the same thing about movie posters hanging on video store walls. Right?

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No, because movie posters are generic. They were not put up specifically for me. Whereas Netflix tried to claim it was "based on my preferences." As if the depths of a human mind could be plumbed by their calculators and microchips.

EDIT: Also I should clarify that in regards to Even's earlier point, watching things on a real TV is much superior to anything else. This whole business with Netflix is something of a separate point.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I watch netflix on my real TV.

So, anyway.... enough of the wocky show, already... I miss my old school pacman game Thing was loud, though.

[​IMG]

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I guess I should have never watched Lost, Wocky, since I saw it through the demonic robot wizardry of Netflix.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I only trust robots to pick my movies. That's why when I go to the video rental store, I lay out some possibilities on the floor and get whichever one my Roomba runs into first.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I thought you were using DVDs that your friends had bought and rented. And even if you weren't, you very well could have.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Roombas are only meant to be DJs, Havac.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Darth Guy like this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    what quality of the experience would have been different?

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i had the frogger one (not pictured). for a significant amount of time it was my favorite thing ever.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Mainly, he could have watched it on a real TV. As I said, if one is already doing that somehow, then Netflix is not as bad. But you should ignore the robotic recommendations and also I would have reservations about continuing to patronize a company that wants to expand that business model.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I had the DK one!

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I played mine almost constantly... drove people nuts... it was loud and kind of obnoxious. I loved it. :p

19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    This sounds like an Ender rant.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm pretty sure Jabba-wocky is mostly right in here. Things will be very eye-opening when I have my blu-ray player (presuming it works) this coming week.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I find it very hypocritical that Wocky appears to be anti-robot but in my thread he listed I, Robot as one of his favourite films.

jp-30 likes this.
  22. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I miss dial tone and busy signals and I miss not having caller ID and not having to deal with people who call back every missed call from an unknown number or call back when the caller's still in the middle of leaving a voicemail.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i remember those things took like 9 c batteries. i would try to get every bit of life out of those batteries that i could, turning the game off and on hoping to be able to play for even a few seconds. then one day the batteries exploded everywhere and my frogger game was ruined. :(

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This is more nostalgia than obsolete technology, but I miss the adverts from my favorite VHS tapes. Mostly because I watched these things hundreds of times.

This Pizza Hut commercial from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

This Diet Coke commercial from The Last Crusade:

This Pizza Hut commercial from The Land Before Time:

And the promo for "From Star Wars to Jedi" that was on each movie of the trilogy.

25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    My biggest qualm with Netflix is actually that movies and even tv shows were not shot to be viewed on a small computer screen or a device. It fundamentally alters the way you experience a movie.