main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Things you miss about old, obsolete technologies.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh yeah, that argument i could see. i only stream netflix on my tv though.

2. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I miss my Super Nintendo. Earlier this year I brought it out of the attic and thought I might play it for old times' sake, but I found there was mold in it. :(

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I have never had a "modern" car, except for one month where I rented a 2011 Kia Soul because I totaled my '96 Oldsmobile in a car accident. :( The Oldsmobile had the tape deck, the Kia had the mic jack, but the 2004 Taurus I drove after the Kia only had a CD player.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I also miss video stores. Netflix is cool and all, but I do miss actual human interaction. Talking with other customers about what is worth renting, getting recommendations from the staff, the smell of popcorn in the store, and being able to walk next door to McDonalds/KFC/Pizza Hut or some other junkfood shop before heading home.

Technology is turning us into a race of hermits.

5. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    You might be able to still....just have to open the case, vaccuum it out, swab it down with alcohol, and then replace the pin connector. You can get them on eBay cheap.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This thread is making me realize how much I appreciate having a tremendous independent rental store around that I use.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I miss using the Game Boy Link Cable. It rarely worked, but when it did, it was

MAGICAL

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  8. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm rather envious. All we have here is Blockbuster...and even then it's like a tomb. Over a thousand square feet of retail space....yet there are only maybe ten half-stocked racks of movies that aren't new releases.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The "turbo" button on old computers.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? That's right, press the Turbo button.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is a mixed bag. I did enjoy being able to go to the video store and look around for things in person. But the absolute last thing I want to do is interact with some idiots and hear their movie suggestions.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Or their opinions on movies, like when I was a teenager in the video store, and an old lady said she didn't like Wayne's World.

Lady, maybe the movie wasn't meant for you.

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Wayne's World isn't meant for anybody.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Expect indignation from wocky.

15. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    The used dvd store that I've been going to pretty much every week for almost fifteen years (it used to sell computer games before dvd took off) just closed over the weekend, and I'm actually quite depressed about it.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I guess there's still Amoeba.

17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I can't say that I miss it, because I wasn't around when they were prevalent, but I really like record players. There is just something relaxing about listening to an old jazz album or something being played on a record player. The warm, fuzzy sound. I love it.

18. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    True, but its the personal connection that comes with a small neighborhood store that I miss. I don't think I get out to Amoeba more than once every couple of months anymore.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's understandable. At least there's still a video rental place near my parents' house. But no, nothing anywhere near where I live. Amoeba isn't very practical for me, either.

20. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Before Google as a mechanic or a customer you had to learn the vehicles you are working on and learn the art of diagnosis. Now most customers and independants just use the internet to find the answer. Even if half the time its right. Us technicians had to learn the hard way instead of looking up problems on the internet.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    One thing I forgot to mention about the satellite dish my family owned in the 1980s: We would also get all kinds of foreign programming on it, like American cartoons like The Smurfs dubbed into French and weird Russian short cartoons that were obviously the inspiration for Worker and Parasite from The Simpsons. When I saw that episode, I got the gag because of my experiences with the satellite dish, and my reaction was pretty much the same as Krusty the Clown's: "What the hell was that?".

22. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The only independent movie rental store I've seen since probably 2000 still in business is The Video Giant off of Katella Avenue near Disneyland. I don't know how they manage to stay open, but they're still going strong.