main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Things you missed on first viewing... !

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voices77

voices77 Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2015
    That handover is very clear. Watch again, the angle of his reach -using his left arm- is all wrong. BB8 only rolls forward slightly. From where Finn's sitting his hand would have come from the other side of BB8.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    On my 27th viewing, when Han is falling down the chasm, you can briefly see him fall on top of the Enterprise and Kirk and Spock quickly beaming him aboard. Blink and you'll miss it.

darthmomm likes this.
  3. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007

When the Falcon returns to the base after Starkiller is destroyed. She's half-covered by people, but she's there towards the lower/middle right.

4. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    Update on this. I really looked hard on my last viewing on a normal sized theater screen. I saw it!!! He's really, really tiny right near the middle of the screen just 3 or 4 shots before we really see him for the first time. But he is definitely there watching Rey!

Satipo likes this.
  5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    It's actually Rey's theme and the Force theme. Luke's is the "Main Title" theme which plays on the celesta at the very end.

Satipo likes this.
  6. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    It is in the vfx reel that was submitted as part of the oscars campaign - they shot the scene with drivers face but changed their mind later and decided ro do the reveal later when when his takes his mask off for Rey ... They went back and added a helmet to the footage in the earlier scene...

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Why not just put a regular person in the mask, and dub the voice later? Seems like a lot of work for a simple scene.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Because the scene was shot with Driver sans mask. Not having time to re-shoot it, their best option was to paste a digital mask over Driver's face.

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    That presumes the digital mask was created in the first place. That takes away more time than someone just wearing the already-existing mask.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They didn't want to swap Driver out for that scene, pretty simple really. And yes, having him take off the mask for the first time later on works so much better.

voices77 likes this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I understand that. The issue here was that the scene was originally intended to show Driver without a mask, and that's how it was shot. They then changed their mind in post-production, and the easiest solution was to impose a digital mask onto the existing scene.

Are you suggesting that they should have shot someone wearing the physical mask, and then superimposed him onto the existing scene? That's certainly an option, but actually a more difficult one, in terms of matching up the lighting, etc., between the new shot of just a guy in a mask, and the existing one on Driver talking to Snoke in the throne room.

12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

I Didn't see her then, but I did see her just before when Poe & Fin had there "bro-mance reunion" When BB-8 rolled up 2 Poe I saw her behind his X-Wing.

I wonder how she escaped the Empire/FO.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I did not miss, but it is subtle.... everytime the Force is used, there is a sound that goes together with it.

I think I hear it when Kylo stops the blaster shot, and I am sure I hear it when Rey succeeds doing the Jedi mind trick.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, there was an interview with the sound effects people (I think that I might have posted it here a few pages back or so actually) where they talk about the "Force" sounds, and highlight the ones in the Kylo vs. Rey "Force Off," as they call it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.