main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you'd normally never think about...

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by ImperialRecruiter, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow. I'm not even going to go there.

Good. If you did, I might have had to threaten bludgeoning Seth Green. [face_devil]

2. ImperialRecruiter

ImperialRecruiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    Parkway, little known fact of the day, are called such because before the need to have more and more lanes of traffic came up there were actually grassy areas with trees spaced out. In some of the more upscale parkways, there were even benches for people to sit on and eat their lunches while traffic rolled right on by.

Driveways actually were in reference to the length of the driveway itself, not the actual parking upon it.

Here's one for the ladies to answer...

If a man speaks in the forest and a woman is not present to hear him, is he still wrong?

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    How about "Jaywalking"? Is it called Jaywalking because the first person to get a ticket for this was named Jay?

Imaging if someone called you at home and asked you:
    "Is your refridgerator running?" and you replied "Nice try, but that's an old one. I've heard it a million times!". Then as you hang up the phone you turn around and see your refridgerator running out the door and making a break for it down the street. Would you feel silly for not believing the guy who called?

4. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    If you did, I might have had to threaten bludgeoning Seth Green.

Sorry, but you don't really scare me.

5. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Would you feel silly for not believing the guy who called?
    LOL! Yes I would.

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Would you feel silly for not believing the guy who called?
    LOL...and yes, I would! :D

Without getting into a major religous debate, here's one...why is it that Catholics aren't allowed to eat meat on Fridays, and yet eating fish is allowed? If so what do you call the part of fish we consume...if not the meat of an animal? Granted, I think it has something to do with the fact that many of the followers of Jesus were in fact...FISHERMEN! (frell-ing special interest groups)

7. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    Any Catholics out there, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The whole thing of not eating meat on Friday during lent, if I'm not mistaken, has to do with Jesus spending his 40 days and 40 nights in the desert fasting. Since lent is the 40 days before Easter, this would make some sense. I think that the exception to fish comes from the whole 5 loaves and 2 fishes miracle.

Also, if I'm again not mistaken, there are folks who become exempt from the rule. Elderly folk and younger children are supposed to be exempt, from what I've heard.

I was raised Baptist, myself. That lends a whole different set of strange and unusual customs depending on the type of Baptist.

8. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    I thought it was because of Mad Cow disease...

9. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    From www.scborromeo.org: (the website of St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Picayune, Mississippi)

The National Conference of Catholic Bishops of the United States made abstinence from meat mandatory on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays of Lent and recommended that it be observed on all Fridays of the year but has allowed individual Catholics to substitute another penance on Fridays if they could not abstain from meat. For purposes of abstinence, fish is not considered to be meat because it comes from a cold-blooded animal rather than a warm-blooded one. Secondarily, early Christian art and literature used fish as a symbol of the Eucharist because the Greek word for fish, ichthus, is an acrostic (the first letters form the word) for "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior."

The 40 days of Lent (Sundays are excluded from the count since we celebrate the resurrection of the Lord on this day) signify the change which we wish to make in our life. Throughout Holy Scripture, the number 40 signifies a time of change. During this time abstinence from something, whether it be sweets, coffee or TV is an offering to God and a method of prayer. Every time we are tempted by whatever we have decided to abstain from, we are to remind ourselves that we have given this up for God so that He can bring us closer to Him.

10. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Good. If you did, I might have had to threaten bludgeoning Seth Green.

You keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into that hole and you're going to hit China eventually.

11. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    fish is not considered to be meat because it comes from a cold-blooded animal rather than a warm-blooded one.
    Actually, that's exactly the reason my mom used, she's a Catholic schoolteacher (for those who don't know her). I'm still convinced it was the Apostle special interest groups! If those guys were cattle-herders...the slogan would be "beef...it's what's for dinner" :)

12. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    ...but has allowed individual Catholics to substitute another penance on Fridays if they could not abstain from meat.

i try to abstain from not eating meat as much as possible... i consider my workouts at the gym pennance enough for that...

oh wait... i'm not catholic... hey, wait... i'm not even christian!!

BRING ON THE COW!! JUST CHOP OF THE HOOVES AND LET IT RUN THROUGH THE FIRE ONCE!! IT'S DONE!! WOOHOO!!

-b-

13. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Behave, Brian. Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean others here don't as well.

14. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    Thanks, Random! I didn't realize how much more there was more to it than what I'd heard.

Here is one that I really don't have a good answer for...

If it were possible......

You're in a car moving at the speed of light. You flip on the headlights. Since the headlights have reflective surfaces to magnify the light intestity away from the car, would you illuminate anything or would you still be in the dark?

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Elderly folk and younger children are supposed to be exempt, from what I've heard.

I went to Catholic school as a kid and we weren't allowed to eat meat for lunch in the cafeteria, they would just have pizza or something like that. I don't know about the elderly thing but I think that most elderly people don't eat meat on Fridays either just because (and this might be stereotyping but... whatever) they tend to be more religious than others since religion was stressed more to them as kids than it was to most of us that are now in our 20's and 30's.

And now for my Random thought of the day:

Have you ever seen that street sign that says:
    SLOW
    DEAF
    CHILD

Everytime I see that sign I think to myself how tough it must be as a kid to be slow and deaf.

16. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Here it is in all it's glory :)

[image=http://www.cold-moon.com/Discordia/Images/EVIL.JPG]

17. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    BRING ON THE COW!! JUST CHOP OF THE HOOVES AND LET IT RUN THROUGH THE FIRE ONCE!! IT'S DONE!! WOOHOO!!

And another joins the cause...

18. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    But if women are the root of all evil...then how do you explain the fact that wasn't the idea of Adam and Eve that the first women came from the first man?!?!?!

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    wasn't the idea of Adam and Eve that the first women came from the first man?!?!?!

Yes... and our lives have never been the same, or as sane, ever since.

20. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Well Emily, in order to be fundamentalist and literally believe the tale of Adam and Eve, you'd totally have to discredit evolution. But I'm pretty sure even Pope John Paul II said that it exists.

Another way of looking at the whole Eve coming from Adam tale is looking at it like Smith and Neo... Eve was all the evil in Adam that left his body, manifesting itself as another entity. I mean come on, we all know Eve is short for ev-il, hehe. ;)

21. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Ok, were way off topic, so I'm stopping the religous talk (if I can)

Does the force actually force people?

22. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Why do they call that passage on some homes that lies between the house itself and the garage the breezeway? What if you lived in an area where you didn't get breezes? Then would it be a static airway?

23. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    But if you walk from the house to the garage, or vice versa, wouldn't you then be disturbing the air thus creating a "breeze"?

24. DarthDurance

DarthDurance Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2004
    Why is it you tell someone there are 400 billion stars, he'll believe you, but if you tell him a bench has wet paint, he'll have to touch it?

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Why do we American's assume that it's the British that drive on the wrong side of the road? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but the colonization of the world went from East to West, not the other way around. So it's actually us that are driving on the wrong side of the road... isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.