main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Things you've noticed in Force Awakens.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by patrickurrutia, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    When Chewie gives Han the snow coat, Han looks at it weird and looks at Chewie. Basically Han acts all confused at the whole winter coat when they go back outside.

Weird moment but kind of funny

dolphin, SateleNovelist11 and Bowen like this.
  2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Chewie gives him the coat because Chewie thought it was cold outside earlier and Han was being snark to him about it... this was Chewie being snark back at Han about the same thing.

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    That is one of the precious few deeply humane handfuls of frames that I appreciate. Chewy and Han at that point are both handling business, like you do, and they'll be home for supper, and Chewy doesn't want anyone to catch cold, especially at Han's age. Something as simple as a coat, handed over at a speed that the human eye could catch, with a silence that the human ear could hear, with a breath of thought the human brain could think. It is a favorite, tiny, quiet moment of mine. That coat meant Han knew he was going home.

Same with the bit where Han says, "Good idea. We'll meet back here. Here's the trigger." Those are the last snapshots of a free spirit who lived at the edge of experience. A Calvin and a Hobbes who did not choose the chocolate milk.

(I still think the Han Ren scene missed a beat with the final act. I needed to see Han relax his face just so.. to let me think he thought he had won back his son and vindicated Leia's faith in both he and their son. And, then.)

JawaDog, rowan_greenleaf and Sarge like this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I already noticed that this is the first Star Wars movie where Han says Vader's name. It is also the first one where Leia says "Jedi."

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I noticed pretty much everything. There really wasn't a surprise... Well scratch that, it was a surprise when Han shouted "Ben"... I didn't expect that to be Kylo's name.

6. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Well of course you noticed everything. That's what this is about, not so much surprises.

AmySolo likes this.
  7. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but did Leia and Han name Ben as a nod to Kenobi? Just curious why Han would have agreed to that.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Han would never have met Leia or Luke, or joined the rebellion had it not been for old Ben.

9. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    ^ very true!

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. Haytham

Haytham Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 28, 2016
    About coats, I can't believe it took me multiple viewings until I've finally noticed that Finn gives his jacket to Rey, when they are running outside on the SKB before the bridge scene.

It's those little things that do so much to help subtly build the characters.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Question for you guys who are into noticing things. Aboard the Millennium Falcon, en route to Maz Kanata. After Rey explains to Han how she bypassed the compressor, he gets up and walks away, and Rey, who had been smiling brightly a moment ago suddenly makes a face and turns away. What did you make of that? What does Rey's expression mean?

Agreed, little moments like that are gold. I love when Han says to Chewie "Don't say that." We don't know Chewie's dialogue to Han that prompted him to say that, but I can imagine it was something like, "Man, I sucked out there today, I'm sorry." And Han's trying to comfort his buddy. n_n

12. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Rey doesn't know how she can do that so well. Maybe she got something like deja vu. Earlier, she was also surprised at how well she flew the ship.

13. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    - Finn does hear voices when Hosnian Prime and the other Republic planets are destroyed by the Starkiller. He could very well be Force sensitive.
    - The music grows on you on subsequent viewings. I actually went and bought the soundtrack. Rey's theme is my favorite, an instant classic.
    - Luke appears to be standing in front of a headstone at the end of the movie, although it could be just an odd rectangular-shaped rock.
    - The way that Han looks at Rey in the Falcon and before he offers her a potential job... there's something going on there. It's more than him just being cool or compassionate. I think he figures out exactly who she is.

Okay I better stop because I could go on forever with this stuff heh

14. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Kylo Ren's theme can well be another iconic villain theme, a la Darth Vader - that's what I can say!

Same goes for Rey's Theme - very happy-go-lucky and melodious music, one of the best in TFA, in fact!

Speaking of Rey, maybe the reason why she's so skilled in flying the Millennium Falcon is because she was always practicing with that flight simulator thingy while at home in Jakku? That app probably has a "Millennium Falcon" mode and it's what made Rey so familiar with her control of the ship!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes and Howard Hand like this.
  15. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The hidden Dookus.

16. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016

That has baffled me as well. Was she expecting to get greater appreciation from Han??? Was she wondering how she knew what to do???
    I've no idea. Sorta odd for sure.

Padme501st likes this.
  17. Haytham

Haytham Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 28, 2016
    She's trying hard to impress Han throughout all of the Falcon scenes. My understanding of the scene is that, perhaps, after Han doesn't look particulary blown away and appreciative, she's kind of wondering to herself whether she was possibly pushing too hard and boasted too much or hurt his pride by fixing the problem on his ship before he could. When you want to make a good impression, even the smallest, in reality irrelevant, expressions and cues can bug you really bad.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It was pretty clear. Han just grunts and walks away. Didn't thank her for essentially saving all their lives by stopping the Falcon from being torn apart in hyperspace. She's surprised by that, as she doesn't know that Han's not the congratulatory kinda guy.

19. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    And in doing so, gives the lie to the idea that Rey is "instantly liked" by everyone. Their relationship is ultimately pretty brief, but Han finds her somewhat annoying early on.

AmySolo and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah. I think it's more that Han has his hackles up about her knowing so much about the Falcon/ upstaging him a little in his own house. Takes some getting used to. But, of course, he ultimately swallows his pride and offers her a job! Probably was thinking of her as his surrogate child, really, given the loss of Kylo. Shows that Han is indeed different from the Han of ANH.

21. Knights of Ben

Jan 30, 2016

Yep, without going into a big character breakdown of Han on this thread, the idea of "Han Solo the father" is ever present in TFA (done brilliantly by Ford), and underlines and informs his dialogue, character and relationships with other characters in the film. He's not looking at Finn and Rey as kids in the same way he once looked at Luke as a "kid" in ANH. He's looking at them from the perspective of a father, as someone who has raised a child himself (worth noting that Finn in-universe is 23, compared to Kylo's 29).

He can gently chastise without cynically mocking (the "big deal" stuff), and, in the same vein, offers more fatherly advice with a smile, ("women always know"). With Rey, I get the impression often of a slightly impatient dad talking to his daughter, ("I know, that's why I'm giving it to you") but, because it's Han, he's still trying to play it cool ("Shame. Chewie really likes you.")

And of course, the "it's true. All of it" speech, delivered in the same place where he once mocked the force, is a really great way to show how much Han has changed and developed since the OT (and ANH in particular).

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    This. Very well said. It's this kind of character work that really elevates TFA. And in some ways, makes it a more nuanced personal drama than all the other films.

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Rey seems to idolize Han to a degree. She acts like an excited fangirl meeting her idol when she meets him. Her exchange in the cockpit struck me as two-fold:

-She didn't know that ripping that thing out would actually fix the problem, and was excited that it did. It's a little moment of Han-esque "fly by the seat of your pants improvisation" on her part.

-She seemed to want Han's approval (like for her to say "great job kid" or something to that effect). And when he reacted, differently, she was surprise/a bit disappointed. And then when he offered her a job later on, she was clearly REALLY excited about the prospect.

24. Knights of Ben

Jan 30, 2016

One little thing I really like with Han's introduction in particular is the sheer SPEED at which he rushes through the airlock door and onto the falcon. It communicated to me straight away that this guy is AWAKE and committed - it's not going to be the slightly disinterested, slightly tired looking Harrison Ford who I've seen in a lot of his movies over the past decade or so. It's a far cry from Kingdom of The Crystal Skull. My good friend Sean thinks it's his best performance since the fugitive, and I might just agree with that!

iluvkoalas and Worker11811 like this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    When Rey and Chewie arrive on Luke's island, Rey has a look of recognition (like she realizes that it's the island from her dreams), or at least that's how I took it anyway. Then Chewie sees her expression and gives her this look of, I think curiosity, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.