main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thinkin' about moving to Fort Collins

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Jedi Greg Maddux, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Any advice? I went there in 2000 and I was pretty impressed. I might go to CSU as a grad student, but I'm seriously toying with the idea of moving there next summer and getting my BA in Spanish there. I know it's a lot cheaper than CU, but I just need some advice on the town and the school before I do anything stupid. :p

2. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    In my watched users list is Luvinna... She lives up there, and would probably be the best source for that kind of information. :)

3. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Cool. I'm a student at South Dakota State University in Brookings right now, and I'm about three semesters away from graduating (well two, if you count this semester) and I just want to get the hell out of here before I lose whatever sanity I have. :p

Western SD is okay to visit, but don't waste your time outside of the Black Hills. This state is extremely boring, cold, and dry.

And I can say with absolute certainty that Colorado is by far and away the best state in the Union. :D

4. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Not been to SOUTH Dakota... But NORTH Dakota in March is not one of my more favorite trips... And it doesn't get any better in the summer time :p

And the people?... Let's just say that they are not fond of me and I am less fond of them [face_plain]

5. Luvinna

Luvinna Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    Suuure, point him to someone who's only lived in the city for three years, and never attended CSU. :p

Can't speak for CSU, but I like the city. I guess my only problem with it would be there's so much traffic. There's lots of major shopping centers and restaraunt chains, and a drive-in theater. Umm... what do you want to know about the town?

6. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, you're the only one I know up there who isn't a teenager :p Sorry [face_blush]

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    North Dakota is even worse than South Dakota. [face_plain] And Fargo (the city, at least) is way, way overrated. But it does have a good Audi dealership, I'll give it that.

Well, I was really more curious about the school than anything, but the traffic doesn't faze me because. The traffic in Brookings is unbelievable for a "city" of 20,000.

I guess I just want a ballpark figure of how much housing is (a middle-of-the-road apartment) and what the job market's like. Hopefully it's better than Brookings (I signed up to be a Spanish tutor but that's mere pennies)

8. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Mah girlie-type friend grew up in SD and did her undergrad @ Black Hills State.

9. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    What would you be studying?

10. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    BHSU should be closed down. Worthless school. :p

Well, I'm into Spanish now, and I'm not sure exactly what I want to specialize in if I decide to get my master's. I have no desire whatsoever to teach, but I would like to work at Wells-Fargo (my brother works there, maybe he can hook me up with a position) and be a translator.

If I have to move closer to Denver, I have no problem with that. It's just that I don't want to drive more than I have to. :p

11. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    There is also Windsor... Not far from the Fort and supposed to be cheaper to live

12. Luvinna

Oct 29, 2002
    Housing: to give you an idea, my room mates and I are splitting $800/mo between the three of us for a 3 bdrm. There are cheaper places closer to campus on the west end of town, and those are mostly apartment basements in older houses. I also know that a couple of my friends are paying $800 for a two bedroom apt. So it can really vary depending on the location and the age of the building.

Jobs: If my room mate is any indication, I'd say the job market is rather slow right now. She's been looking for a job for about a month and a half. 'Course, she's looking for full-time employment. I have another friend who's working part-time and he found his job in only a couple of weeks. I guess it probably depends on what you're willing to do and how much you want to be paid.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Alrighty, I'll keep this in mind. :)

BTW, (don't go too hard on me) what are you guys called? Coloradites? Coloradoans? Coloradians?

*is a South Dakota yokel, dontchaknow*

EDIT: I just need some source of income. I don't care about full time right now, as I'm a student, and probably will be for quite some time.

And I pay $250 a month for rent now, but I have three other roommates. I probably will be looking at a three-to-four bedroom apartment since I don't want to shell out much more than $300 a month.

14. Luvinna

Oct 29, 2002
    You get much closer to Denver then Loveland, and prices actually start to go up.

There's Windsor, just South and East; Loveland, is just South, and Wellington to the North. Wellington is pretty cheap, but I don't now how many apartments are out there. Everyone I know who lives there is in a house.

15. Luvinna

Oct 29, 2002
    Even though I'm new to the state, I think it's Coloradoan. :)

16. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    On the nose :) (And though I am not a native... I've been here a loooonnnnnnnng time :p )

17. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    BTW-There is also UNC in Greeley... As another option

18. Qui-Gone-Drinkin

Qui-Gone-Drinkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    hey, im not a teenager (ha im 20), but i have been in and out of fort collins my whole life and its my 3rd year at csu... and im sad to say, but pretty much my whole family has gone to csu so thats why ive been up here so much

but honestly, except for csus football team, id rather live in boulder...

its a decent sized town but after living near denver my whole life, it seems smaller (Cause of all the burbs around denver), and maybe its cause i cant get into any of the bars yet (i hear they're pretty good if u like that sort of thing)... and its okay to live here for a while but im ready to leave.

19. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I've lived in Fort Collins for a little over 7 years now. I lived in a forest near Colorado Springs till I was 8, and I like it a lot more in Collins now... not too big but not too small.

I can't really say much on behalf of CSU as I'm still in high school, but it is a pretty fun town. There's plenty to do, and as mentioned earlier, has plenty of restaurants and movie theaters (I think there are 5 including the drive-in). The downtown area is pretty fun, there's a little square where they have concerts and activities.

Anyway, if you have any more questions, just ask. :)

20. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    wow i should look into moving up there when the time comes. it sounds a lot better than this crap town.

21. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Anything is better than Pueblo :p ;)

22. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i agree with you zoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.