main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Thinkin' 'Bout Jar Jar

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    These are the PT forums, so I'm out of here.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't have double standards. I have not made a double standard.

Pointing out an opinion which is presented as fact does not qualify as a double standard just for simply not pointing out a different opinion being passed as fact. It only would, if I claimed that whoever said "worst character ever" was claiming a fact.

However, I did no such thing, so hop off me. In my opinion, Watto was worse than Jar Jar.

3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    define: double standard
    Noun
    A rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.

You did, indeed, utilize a double standard in that you were perfectly fine with not calling out Avnar for not including the words "in my opinion" or "I think" (nor did you comment on him allegedly stating his opinion as fact) while you did comment on Cryogenic's point (even though he did utilize the words "I think".) Where this is a double standard is that your response varies based on the different people that are posting, you are perfectly willing to ignore what Avnar said simply because you agree with him. Hence, a double standard, which you should avoid if you are making the claim that you are being treated unfairly in regards to your opinion.

Anyway, I like both Watto and Jar Jar just fine. Watto strikes me as slightly more mafioso and his interactions with Qui-Gon are pretty funny. I'd actually have liked to see more Jar Jar and Watto interaction since I can imagine they would play off each other well. Jar Jar would be the naive, clumsy fool that would get him and Watto into trouble. Could be fun to watch.

4. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Who said I was fine with it? Never said that. Even if I am, you should never assume anything unless it's clearly stated. You know what happens when you assume? You make an ass out of...hehe (that is just part of a common saying, no offense is intended). Please, just stop drawing false conclusions where none exist.

I'll put this as simply as possible.
    I called out Crygenic for using an opinion as a fact. I can't be expected to do that to every single person. Not doing so doesn't constitute a double standard. If I took someone else's opinion as said "that's a fact!" That would be a double standard. However, I did not.

I'm not going to talk about Watto. PM if you want to.

5. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    You're missing the point. If you claim that people who post negative opinions about the prequels are unfairly harassed and face a double-standard, you undercut yourself if you then turn around and only call out people who disagree with you and ignore the simple truth that their opinions were never presented as fact -- you only perceived them as such. This would be further reinforced by the fact that the person you did call out did use the words "I think" in their post while the person you didn't call out did not utilize these words.

If you don't want to talk about Watto, then why did you bring him up? :confused: I was talking about Jar Jar initially.

One thing I did always appreciate about Ahmed Best's performance, though, was how he moved. He's very loose limbed, which I think is reflective of Jar Jar's amphibious nature. It's pretty cool, I would say.

Darth Chiznuk and Alexrd like this.
  6. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    When did I say any of that? I was only referring to myself, really, not everyone. You talent for misinterpretation and false conclusions has costed this thread the better part of a whole page. Impressive. Most Impressive.

I'm not talking about Watto because in my opinion, well, I can't type my opinion about Watto without assuredly violating TOS
    I brought Watto up because in my opinion, I don't think "Jar Jar is the worst character ever", he's the second worst, in my opinion, following Watto. In my opinion.

vinsanity likes this.
  7. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    *Sigh*

Nevermind. This seems to be a...mutual problem. I'll leave it at that.

Jar Jar certainly has his moments where I find him a tad...overexuberant. I'll say that at least. Notably the battle for Naboo. I don't necessarily think that his scenes were bad, but that they sometimes go on for a bit too long. I do like his interactions with little Annie, though. They're both kind of outcasts, in a way, throughout the films. One of my favorite little details is how Jar Jar is with Annie while Palpatine is talking to Padmé. They're both relegated to the side and ignored although, ironically, their choices will play a big role in the fall of the Republic.

I like Watto. I think his voice actor did a good job. If you don't want to discuss him, that's fine, though as he isn't really pertinent to this thread.

Alexrd and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    None of those scenes make me like Jar Jar even a little bit and they are no where near redeeming the irreparable damage that his silly, stupid slapstick routine and feces-stepping caused to the Saga, in my opinion.

9. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Never understood why the stepping in feces bit irked people so much. I always thought the fart to the face was far more egregious. :p

10. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Both of those scenes caused irreparable damage to the Star Wars Saga. In my opinion

But, like I said at the top of the page, these are the PT forums. Spending too much time in here will surely cause cancer (from the stress/anger/negative emotions of having my thoughts even dwell on the goddamn PT for too long), so I'm out of here.

11. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    That stuff did bother me when I was a high school senior seeing it for the first time. But today, seeing my kids laugh at it makes it a little more bearable.

Like I said in my post that might have gotten lost in the Great Fact or Opinion Debate of 2013, if you approach TPM as a movie for 7 years olds that has some stuff for adults, it doesn't seem near so bad. Now, one can argue that TPM shouldn't be a kids movie, but that seems to be what it is.

In my ever so humble and probably very wrong opinion, which I in no way or form intend to be take or presented as a verifiable fact. [face_dancing]

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He was annoying to some viewers (regardless of their age) and fine to others. It's impossible to please everybody. And as you said yourself, he was also there for comic relief. Without it, it would be a too heavy and serious plot.

All Star Wars movies (maybe with the exception on RotS) are family movies made for kids. The fact that adults enjoy them (and are the ones who understand many sub-plots and details) as well only corroborates it.

I find it ironic that Jar Jar was also meant to represent kids/people who were/are left out and excluded by those of their age (and I bet many people here can relate), and one of the message the movie tries to pass is of acceptance and integration. The fact that many people not only don't accept but hate Jar Jar only shows how much more relevant that message is and how so few were capable to grasp it.

Darkslayer, FRAGWAGON, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Wow. Um, really? Locking.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.