main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thinking about selling my book collection on ebay.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Master_Toddy, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Toddy

Jedi_Master_Toddy Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    I'm thinking about selling my book collection on ebay. It's about 60 boooks - every book from Darth Maul Shadowhunter to Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (minus Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Hard Merchandise - couldn't find either). The books are all in good condition (except for a few of the older ones). The thing is, I don't read them anymore - they're just collecting dust on my bookshelf and taking up a lot of space. So, I figure that maybe I could sell them and get some decent money for them. My question is, would it be worth it? Would people actually bid on it? Is ebay a good place to put it up for sale?

2. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    In my experience, you don't very much for most books on ebay. Perhaps a used book store would be a better choice?

3. Jedi_Master_Toddy

Mar 11, 2003
    The only book store that I can think of that we have around here in Tucson, AZ that takes used books is Bookman's, and they royally rip you off when you bring in stuff (you either take half the value of what you bring in in store credit or a lot less than half the vaule in cash). I'll look around and see if there's another place, but I doubt it. Is there any other auction site that could possibly be better?

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I have to agree with Asyr Handor - you would only get a fraction of their cost on eBay. There's no way you'll get any where near retail (what I presume you paid for these books). And then you have to hassle the shipping, possible non-paying bidders, etcetera, not to mention the eBay fees.

No other auction site is going to be any better, either. Nor is Half.com. I did a search for "Darth Maul: Shadowhunter" on Half.com and found someone selling a HC for $2.75. That's the kind of prices you can expect. Too much supply, not enough demand.

So, even though the used book store sounds bad, you might end up getting a few more dollars from them. That is, if you really, really don't want to keep them in a box in your garage.

I have a copy of all the Star Wars books myself, but I'm a hardcore collector, so I plan on keeping them for awhile :cool:.

Helen

5. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    DONT DO IT!!! YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!

but seriously you wont get squat... probably about .75 per book and about 2-3 dollars for hard covers...

6. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    half.com

7. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    KEEP THEM. I did the exact same thing a few years ago, and it took me 2 years to buy them all back.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As a gentle reminder -- talking about WHERE to sell them, okay; actually selling them here, not okay.

9. Jedi_Master_Toddy

Mar 11, 2003
  10. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Keep them :)

Box them if you need the room but I say keep them.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'd try donating them to a library, at a school or elsewhere. There are a lot of people who haven't read the books and a library is a great place to get them. You won't make any money, but you'll help out a library and other fans.

12. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    If you're hell-bent on selling them, I'd recommend finding a friend that likes Star Wars, convince them to buy the series (even if you loan them Heir to the Empire as bait first) and work out a deal that's good for you both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.