main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thinking of buying a Mac for video editing... Dont know which one!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Dax_Kenobi, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dax_Kenobi

Dax_Kenobi Jedi Master

Jul 14, 2004
    So I'm a college student looking to buy either a Macbook or a Macbook Pro... the Macbook is only $999, and the Pro is $1799 for college students.

I wanna run iLife, and most likely the Final Cut Studio package... would the Macbook be capable of running those programs? What are your suggestions?

2. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    You'd want the MacBook Pro. The MacBook can run Final Cut (I've done it), but it doesn't have a dedicated video card, so it's abilities are rather limited. The MacBook Pro is a very capable machine and is actually my only computer as of right now. I have the mid-range model, which boasts a faster video card than the cheapest one, but still isn't overly huge with a 17" display. Course, I bought mine in March, so the ones that are out now are even better, so lucky you :p

3. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    I agree, if you're going to use a laptop, definitely go with the MacBook Pro. You get a lot more "umph" with that.

4. AstroninjaStudios

AstroninjaStudios Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2007
    The MacBook Pro's are crazy strong. If you want a laptop for editing, that's the one to go with. I would also recommend saving some coin and opting for the extra ram. If you're going to run Final Cut Studio 2, you'll need it to take advantage of all the crazy crap in there.

5. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    I have a current package that I'm extremely happy with:

MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz// 4 GB RAM// Glossy Display.

The GLossy Display is a bit better for video, however you get more glare when under bright light. So thats something to think about.

The new MacBook Pros come with 2GB, but if you can, opt for the 4GB. Also, don't opt for the bigger hard drive. While the hard drive is bigger, it is only 4200 RPM, which will slow you down considerably. Just stay with the 160GB at 5400 RPM. Or opt for the 160GB at 7200 RPM.

But that said, go with the MacBook Pro.

6. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    What are good options for non-Mac laptops. Say in the $1000 range?

I know Macs are all the rage and whatnot, but if you compare prices, it seems to me you can get more bang for your buck from other companies, unless I'm missing something...the specs on a $1000 sony or a toshiba seem comparable to a Mac twice the money

7. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    but you have to remember that osx is unix based, and talks to the hardware in a much more efficient way than the pc's, and so the mac is a better alternative. Plus, if you don't like OSX(highly unlikeable), it's got windows support :)

8. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Glossy is horrible for video and anything related, for precisely the reason you stated. Glare central, as well as being inaccurate. Sure, glossy looks b-e-a-utiful for general use and watching movies, but you do not get anything accurate when it comes to color correction. Matte finish is what you want.

On the memory side, if you are going to upgrade to 4 GB, don't buy from Apple. Their RAM is a ripoff. Buy third party RAM, you'll save butt-loads.

9. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    I've heard of so many problems with the "windows support" though.

10. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    That's just because they use Vista ;)

11. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Well at the moment Windows on the Mac isn't quite the end-all be-all. Parallels splits your resources, so that's going to be kinda slow. And Bootcamp is still in Beta, so complaining isn't allowed :p But I run Windows in Bootcamp right now, and it is very satisfying for me. Simply "hearing" about problems with Windows on the Mac is nothing compared to actually doing it yourself, as I always say. For the most part, you're going to find everyone complaining about it online, because those that are not having problems aren't sitting around expressing it, they're getting on with their lives.

In the end, Mac hardware has the ability to run much more than any other hardware out there. Is it higher in price than the notebooks you find in Best Buy? Well, yeah, because you get a much more valuable computer that can do so much more. Whenever I see people just simply look at price, I just get frustrated because they're comparing apples and oranges. Or I guess in this case, a hamburger to a t-bone steak :p I've seen both sides of the fence here, but don't want to take off into yet another Mac vs PC debate. But if anyone wishes to consult me in that area privately, feel free ;)

[face_laugh]

12. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Would you say the same rule applies to running PC games and PC entertainment software? I know that - even as recent as 18 months ago - if you wanted a gaming machine, then Mac offered you virtually nothing short of a migraine and a resolve to buy a console or cheap PC to get your gaming fix.

Does this still apply now or have the Windows emulation actually worked those kinks out?

The post-production house I work at uses both PC and Mac (half the editors still swear by AVID, while the rest of us have managed to move on and actually hack Final Cut Pro to have AVID-like shortcuts). I don't mind either platform, but for my gaming needs I've always had a PC at home.

Would be nice to be able to combine the two into one system some day....

13. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    When it comes to gaming, then by all means, go for PCs just because you can customize the bejesus out of it. Trust me, I sort of miss doing that, and have been tempted to build a gaming rig recently (but then I remember how I'd never get anything done :p). When I talk about Mac vs PC, especially around here, I'm coming from a production standpoint, where I trust and rely on Final Cut Studio and Shake and the overall stability of the Mac OS to not cost me time and money when I'm on a deadline. I'm not a huge gamer, so even though I mostly use Windows to play games on my Mac, it's nothing big (Command & Conquer, Sim City 4, Sims 2...I still play Warcraft on the Mac side). If you want to debate editing on each platform, just come with me to work on any given week and see how much time I actually spend editing as opposed to fighting with the computer[face_plain]

14. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Coming from using macs that use both Glossy and Matte finish, I find that Glossy finish is better for video, because it is a truer representation of how your movie is going to look on the big screen/TV. I think its all a matter of opinion, though.

15. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    Go for Pro. That's what I got and it runs FCS2 like a champ. Now's a good time too. They've all just been upgraded about a month ago.

_Max

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    MacBook Pro 2.2, with 2 GBs of RAM and 128 video card. That should be a great choice for you :).

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Does this still apply now or have the Windows emulation actually worked those kinks out?

I should have caught this earlier. Windows is not being emulated. Parallels uses virtualization, and boot camp lets XP and Vista run natively (same as if it was a regular PC). VirtualPC, which did use emulation, is no more.

18. Dax_Kenobi

Dax_Kenobi Jedi Master

Jul 14, 2004
    How do you guys feel about Alienware laptops?

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I feel that a MBP weighs 5.4 pounds, and an Alienware laptop weighs several pounds more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.