main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thinking of watching TCW; where to start?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darth fluffy, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    I've heard a lot of good things about this show but I'm not sure where to start. Any advice?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Season 1 or the movie. I actually watched season 1 and part of season 2 before I ever saw the movie; the movie is more of an extended pilot that introduces you to the characters.

3. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Start at the beginning, the movie.

It starts slow and reasonably good, but the story, action, animation that develops from it is well worth it and turns into an amazing show as it continues on. Also, I'm a full picture kind of guy. Plus, you have a few prequel episodes and connected episodes between season 1-3.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Two lines that make the movie worthwhile:

"Anakin, what's your location?"
    "Ventress."

:D

The premise of the Jedi being forced to kiss Jabba's ass is a little...special, but I did like the movie, there's some good stuff in it.

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Alternatively, you could start with episode 2.16 ("Cat and Mouse") and go chronologically from there using the episode order Lucasfilm published.

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I wasn't a fan of the movie, and haven't watched it since it was in theaters in 2008; but some people enjoy it for all of its flaws, so I'd recommend watching it once if you can.

That said, like folks here have been saying, you should watch the episodes chronologically to get the most out of it. Here's a link to the master timeline by Holocron keeper Leland Chee; presumably, this timeline will be released officially when Jason Fry's TCW Episode Guide comes out in early June.

If you don't want to watch every episode, this thread provides many responses and opinions on which episodes are considered must-watch, and what episodes can probably be avoided (see RG4's viewing guide further down the page if you are curious). Note that in the end, this is all a matter of opinion and if you like the show enough after the first few episodes, I'd recommend watching every episode, time permitting.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Watch Rookies, followed by Clone Cadets and ARC Troopers. Then watch whatever you want.

I guarantee, watch those three episodes and you'll be hooked.

anakinfansince1983 and credar like this.
  8. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I disagree in watching it chronologically. Part of the experience is seeing how the show evolves over the seasons, especially in terms of animation. That magic would be lost if you went in order. Also, I don't feel as though you gain that much of a better viewing experience anyway; I much prefer being introduced to Cad Bane in Hostage Crisis than Evil Plans.

VMeran likes this.
  9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm a completest myself. If you want to watch I say don't jump in with the best of the best. I'd just start with "Ambush" and watch till "The Wrong Jedi", cool as chronological order is I think its easier to just follow release order and its not difficult to follow the series and piece things together that way either. TCW has its controversial episodes but most of them still find fans. Watching the series just like that hooked me.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, Rookies was one of my few 10/10s and a good intro to the clones.

11. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
    Okay, do you know where I could watch this online?

12. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If you're going to watch the movie, watch it before you start the series.

I didn't watch the movie until a few weeks ago, after I'd already seen the series.

The transition was slightly weird. Particularly with Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's apprentice. By late S5, this character had evolved into a serious, level-headed, dependable young woman, and a formidable warrior. I stuck on the movie and suddenly I was confronted with the same character, now an impetuous, backtalking, reckless child with a penchant for assigning nauseating nicknames and generally behaving like an anime schoolgirl. It was a little jarring.

Other than that, watch them in the order they were released. At times that does give the continuity a little Tarantino-esque quality, but it's occasional and in no way intrusive. That's how they were seen, and I think therefore that's how they should be seen. It's the same advice I'd give anyone who was watching the live action movies for the first time. 4-5-6-1-2-3. Order of release.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I liked Ahsoka in the movie and the first couple of seasons. I enjoyed seeing Anakin meet his match in a feisty smartass Padawan. Even when she was annoying, I liked her spunk. I started disliking her in season 3, when the writers started telling me that I was supposed to think she was awesome and brilliant and skilled and yadda yadda. Yeah, it's not working...where's the spunk? She's not supposed to grow up faster than Anakin or become wiser and more powerful than Obi-Wan.

I had not considered watching the episodes in timeline order, that would be interesting. I admit that I was thrown when Evil Plans took place before Hostage Crisis.

14. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    dont bother.
    seriously if youre a fan of eu dont

if youre not enjoy the clone episodes and try not to think too much about how it contradicts itself and other sources

im not a big fan but the clones like rex are great and ashoka is actually a good character by the end

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.