main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON Third annual spring celebration

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lord_Robert, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Robert

Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2005
    This Sunday will kick off the planning of the third annual spring celebration.

Main topic will be what day and time to have it.

2. jedidougcdn

jedidougcdn Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2008
    I'll be at the meeting on Sunday to discuss details.

FYI Saturday, May 16 (which is the Saturday of the long weekend) I have a family function.

3. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    i have some joe corroney art that was donated last year but didn't arrive till after the event and I had moved. Parents held onto it and it's been in storage until now. I'll try to get out sometime to drop it off.

4. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I believe this May will be the 10th anniversary of The Phantom Menace. Something to consider.

5. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    So it is. Has it been that long already?

6. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    This year is the 10th anniversary of the 501st. as well.

A phantom menace theme would be good. To bad we don't have anyone from that movie.

7. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    Do you mean that we don't have any TPM costumes to dress in? That shouldn't stop us. We're creative and we have lots of time to put something together. I wouldn't mind resurrecting my Jedi costume. There are lots of options that aren't too difficult to make: Jedi, handmaidens, Naboo citizens, Tatooine citizens, Gungans. Perhaps we could see if there are any nearby Queen Amidalas or Darth Mauls who would be willing to come to London for the event.

8. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    We have to pick a good day. It's been hard getting people from out of town to come to our events.

Darthsolvo's little brother could do a young Anakin and his other brother does a Jawa. Rebellaka has a Darth Maul mask but little John likes to play that character and I have a Jar-Jar mask. Fantyx does a Obi-wan

We could build some battle droids out of styrofoam at the garrison. That's something that could be used late for something like the santa claus parade on a float.

9. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I've always wanted to make a handmaiden costume, I just need to find the right fabric. Cotton velvet is hard to find, as synthetic fabric is difficult to dye.

10. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I guess there's nothing that says we have to be so literal. It is just a theme. We could promote the event as a celebration of the Tenth Anniversary of Star Wars Episode One, but we don't necessarily all have to dress as Episode 1 characters.

Looking at the calendar, Sat., May 2 is Free Comic Day, Sun., May 10 is Mother's Day, and Mon., May 18 is Victoria Day. If the aim is to hold the celebration before the long weekend, then Sat., May 9 might be a good candidate.

11. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    I'm bringing in my old farmer's almanac to the meeting and you maybe a little surprised at what's in store for May.

12. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I'm out of town for My 2nd, so I guess someone else will have to go to Free Comic Book Day.

13. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I left my notes behind when they evacuated us, but I'll put down what I can remember, and edit everything later.

Date: Saturday May 9th, 2009

10th Anniversary of Star Wars Episode 1, The Phantom Menace

Time: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
    Arrive at park at 6:00 am to claim our spot, cleanup at 4:00 pm

Rain or shine, we have plenty of activities for both

Due to the current economic climate, we will not be asking stores for sponsership this year. Instead we will acknowledge those who sponsered us last year, and scale down the prizes for events. The possible exception is Rainbow Cinemas. Only children 12 and under will receive prizes. Teens/adults will receive a certificate instead.

Events include:

Children's colouring contest
    Thermal Detonator toss
    Wookie bowcaster shoot
    Jedi-Padawan three-legged race
    Stormtrooper march
    tug-of-war
    costume contest
    lightsaber dueling contest

Also there will be a Star Wars trivia game, but this is for fun, not for prizes.

We will also make a waiver for people to sign covering the entire event.

Pillows and T-shirts will be for sale, and there will be bookmarks, doorhangers and masks available as well.

Advertizing: We will be doing our park walks in costume in April, as well as downtown. We will have flyers and posters made up to give out. Rob will also speak to his media contacts.

Jobs: Some of the sign-up sheets for events were found, so those do not need to made again.

Trivia game: Rabellaka
    Costume Contest forms and judging criteria: Rabellaka
    fabricating Thermal Detonators: Lord_Robert
    Modifying bowcaster: Lord_Robert
    Posters and flyers: jedidougcdn
    Needed: Foam sabers from dollar stores, VOLUNTEERS!!!!

That's all I remember for now. I'll edit this as needed.

14. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I think you remembered everything. One of my friends has told me she should be able to volunteer. She just needs to confirm that she is off work that day.

While I agree that getting prizes in these difficult economic times might be a challenge, I think it's worth mentioning to previous sponsors our intentions for this year's event, and see if they are interested in contributing anything - though without any expectation from them to do so. You never know. Sometimes when times are tough, people are at their most generous.

My friend Tracy who works at Central Library confirmed that the posters were up last year in the hallway near the old Speaker's Corner. She suggested we give them enough copies of the poster to be put up at all the branches, which I plan to do.

I've been thinking of a design for the poster, and rather than using existing Lucasfilm artwork (which is also copyrighted, BTW), I'd like to do some original photography using London landmarks to cement the message that this is a local organization. Lord_Robert, would you be willing to model in costume?

15. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    Perhaps we could co-ordinate one of the walks downtown with an evening when there is an event at the JLC such as a Knights game. When those let out, there are tons of people on the streets, especially families.

16. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    before the game would be better, when it's still light out.

17. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    I'm good for most weekdays. But I don't know about going out side in armour. Spandex is not very warm this time of year.

18. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I've been thinking that if I take a photo outdoors before March 1 - even on a bright, sunny day - it will still look like winter. This isn't what I have in mind.

I've come up with an alternative concept that can be taken indoors, provided we can find someplace well lit. A plain background would be good so I can float text over it. We could try some shots at the Garrison and see how they come out. The main hallway of the convention centre would work well too with all those windows letting in light. As I recall, the walls were fairly plain and could be OK in the background.

19. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    I don't think they'll let us use the convention centre for pics.

20. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    We can try some at the Garrison then

21. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    If I'm done work early I'll bring my costure but if I'm late I can't and I can't leave the costume in the cold for long.

22. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I'll bring my camera in case you can. If you can't, we can plan another day. I'll bring my draft of the poster with me tomorrow too.

23. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    Everything for the Ewok village is printed and done.
    The Wookiee bowcaster is done.
    I have 30 thermal detonators so that's done too.

24. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    Wow, you're quick! I was going to offer to help with the Wookie bowcaster, but it looks like you don't need it.

I've checked a few dollar stores, but have had no luck finding any foam sabers yet. I've been to Galleria, Cherryhill, Masonville, Hyde Park, Sherwood Forest, and Westmount (dollar store there is closed).

25. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    They come and go. Sometimes you can't find any, and other times they have dozens. It all depends on what their suppliers send them. Too bad we don't still have an insider at Dollarama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.