Third annual spring celebration

Discussion in 'London, ON' started by Lord_Robert, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm all set for doing the radio spots today. It's to cold to wear a costume.
    Also I have something better for the sound effects in the spots that I wrote. I'm bringing blasters and R2 him self.
  2. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    Sounds good. What time and where would you like to meet? How about noon at Alumni Hall entrance?
  3. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
  4. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    too bad I couldn't get there... they actually sent us home early, just not early enough.
  5. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    We did OK with the 3 of us - plus R2-D2. ;)

The finished ads should be done in a few days.
  6. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    The strangest thing. I can't watch the video on the net, my internet freezes up.
  7. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    It's playing fine for me on Facebook. You could also try uploading to Youtube.
  8. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    It's playing on mine now.

Hey jedidougcdn whats the surprise that you mentioned on RL.
  9. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    LOL I thought it would pique the curiosity of those who are on the fence. I was thinking specifically of my friend Derek who's willing to come and do a sword demo, etc. And you never know - we may find some other fun stuff to throw in there too between now and May.
  10. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    I contacted UWO today to ask about other promotions we could do on campus. To put up posters, the cost is $25 (plus tax), and we supply the posters, plus put them up ourselves. Posters go up for two weeks, and are date-stamped with an approval stamp. There are approximately 40 boards around the campus.

I also asked about setting up a table in the University Community Centre to give out information. If we were a registered not-for-profit, the rate would be $120 for the day. Otherwise it's $550. A little too expensive for us unfortunately.

I'm going to see if the station manager at CHRW can help us get the word out...
  11. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    I took out 3 packages today. Cover letter flyers and volunteer aplications.

The coordinator at the Women's Centre is going to spread around the flyers to promote the event.

The coordinator at the Children's Hospital is going to spread the flyers around to promote the event.

The coordinator at the Glen Carin Centre is going to spread the flyers around to promote the event. She will also put it in their news letter. They also have a leadership group that maybe volunteering for us at the event. And! They will probably bring a group of kids to the event.
  12. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    Excellent.

I'm going to contact the Community Outreach dept. at Central Library in Galleria to see if we can set up a table in the main hallway there and give out information. Ideally I'd like to do this during March break for a few hours one day. I'll let you know when I have more information.

It occurred to me that if we are going to be putting up posters at UWO, we could do this in costume. If we pay the $25 to rent the space on the billboards, we have a legitimate reason to be all over the campus, so the campus police can't complain. Plus we'll be going from building to building, and we can pass out flyers along the way.
  13. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds good. With a 2 week time limit on the flyers I would suggest end of march begining of April. Also have something in writing because we would be stopped by the UWO police.
  14. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    Imprint suggested the beginning of April as well since it'll be exam time towards the end of the month. They will provide us with a list of places where we can put the posters, and also they will be stamping our posters to show they can be put up. I'll see if there's anything else I can get in writing.

Also, I don't mind speaking with someone at UWO police ahead of time to let them know what our intentions are.
  15. DarthPapa Jedi Master

star 1
    I picked up 4x's 12 packs of bottled water at No Frills $1 sale we can unload them at the spring celebration for a buck each and make some money. If anyone else wants to pick up a case or 2 they are on until Friday 12 packs are $1 and 24's are $2
  16. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't they pass that stupid law that you can't sell bottled water in pubic parks? Besides last year I bought 3 cases of water to hand out free and 1 case of pop to sell. I came back with 2 1/2 cases of water and 1/2 case of pop.

How about selling blue milk? lol.

On a nother note we need to get the schedule made soon for the event.
  17. DarthPapa Jedi Master

star 1
    I think that it is in public buildings but hopefully there is not so much "free water" falling from the sky this year. Was at Liqidation world today and got some felt colouring pictures along with 3 star wars markers $0.77 each they will make for some inexpensive prizes/giveaways
  18. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Does the by-law say anything about providing your own bottled water? I thought it was just for selling it.
  19. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    I believe the by-law says that you can't sell refreshments to the public without authorization of the General Manager of Community Services. I can find out what it takes to get this sort of authorization.
  20. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    The by-law is for anything owned by the city or goverment.
    There was 2 reason for the by-law. The city wants people to use the water fountains.(like that's ever going to happen) Also at events the garbage cans would be over flowing with plastic water bottles.
    It would make more sence for the city to put out more recycling containers but they don't see it that way.

I checked the tax laws when we started this 3 years ago. We are aloud to sell stuff like pop & water and so on for fund raising, because we've already paid the tax on the product when we bought it.
  21. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    I've had a question asked on another forum:
    "Could you tell me more about the age groups for the colouring contest and the Padawan race? "

How should I reply?
  22. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    The colouring is for the kids 12 & under. if ther are enough prizes that could be split into 2 groups 6 & under 7 to 12.

The Jedi/Padawan race again it depends on the amount of prizes. We were thinking the one rule is there has to be 6 inch diferance in hight.

Everything depends on want is given to us. The basic age groups are 12 & under, 13 to 18 and 19 & over. If we get a large number of prizes we make 2 groups out of the 12 & under. after all it more fun for the kids.
  23. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    The CHRW radio ads are on the air.
  24. jedidougcdn Jedi Master

star 2
    I am talking with Central Libary about booking a table in their main hallway (the one that leads from Dundas Street to the centre of Galleria). I believe this would be a good opportunity for us to promote the group and the May event. We can display the poster, and whatever other materials we have, hand out flyers, be there in costume. You know the drill. We should have at least 2 people at the table. This is something I've been trying to do in the other malls, but since we lack a not-for-profit registration number, we don't qualify. So this is my way around that issue - starting with Galleria.

They would like me to get back to them with some dates. Are Fridays generally the best for everyone?
  25. Lord_Robert Jedi Master

star 4
    Friday's should be good for me. However if it's a Monday's would be better I can get extra help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.