main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON Third annual spring celebration

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Lord_Robert, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedidougcdn

jedidougcdn Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2008
    I'll be at Springbank Park this afternoon, but it turns out I have a conflict with next Saturday (the 25th) so I won't be out then.

2. DarthPapa

DarthPapa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm in pain and got back from Montreal @ midnight last night and John is in the soccer finals at 3:30 today so we won't be there but we'll be at Lord_Roberts tomorrow

3. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I picked up the prize donation from Worlds Away this afternoon:
    - Rebel Vanguard action figure
    - 30th Anniversary Coin Album + Darth Vader figure

4. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I picked up the prize donation from Commander Salamander today. It's a pretty sweet Star Wars belt buckle.

5. Lord_Robert

Lord_Robert Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2005
    I have to go into Home Depot Friday around 5:00. It seems the PR manager has gone on maturnaty leave. So I have to do the song and dance again. funny thing this is how we got them last year is the manager that took the request was gone and the second one seemed like he was trying to make up for it.

Anyhow, I was thinking what if we did a walk around handing out flyers on Dundas just before and then go in costume. Anyone up for it?

6. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I can probably do it.

7. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    The current issue of Scene (with Diana Krall on the cover) has our event listed on page 9.

8. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    I'll have to pass on doing that walk a Home Depot. The meeting is at 5:00 and I have to get ot to the hospital right after to see my brother's new daughter who was born last night.

9. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    Home Depot has given us a Dremel 100 series

10. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    Wow, that's great!

11. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    My meeting in Toronto was canceled, so I can come out for today's walk in Springbank Park. What time are we meeting today?

12. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
  13. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I found a couple photo frames (they were just $5 each) which I'm going to use to frame the 2 signed Joe Corroney prints. They will look much nicer framed.

What do you guys think of adding a Best Couple/Group category to the costume contest?

14. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    I like it but there are a lot of pro's & con's to it.

It adds to the family value. pro+.

Would we be able to get prize every year for it. con.
    There are a lot of single parents. con.

Something more like a cotume duo could be better. Then it's not just couples but also best friends, siblings, parent/child and so on.

15. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    What I had in mind was a category for people who obviously all got together to come as a group - or even a duo (not necessarily a "couple"). This would open it up to a family who all come as Jedi Knights, or a pair of friends who come dressed as the Tonnika Sisters, or a troop of three Clones, or something along those lines. In my mind, a group is two or more people with obviously similar-themed costumes (not necessarily "couples").

For the prize, I was thinking we could award a group prize, such as a couple gift cards that the team can split as they see fit.

I got the 2 Joe Corroney prints framed, BTW. They look much nicer this way.

16. TK42Tom

TK42Tom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2008
    YES! Someone else who knows who the Tonnika Sisters are!

I think I know what you mean, so it would be categorized as something like 'Best in Show'.

17. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    You mean there are people on this board who don't know who the Tonnika Sisters are?

18. TK42Tom

Sep 3, 2008
    I mean there are Star Wars fans I know who know way more about the mvies than I do, who don't know who the Tonnika Sisters are.

I'm trying to talk a couple of my female friends to dress up as them, at least for some pictures heh

19. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    That would be really cool. I saw a woman dressed as one of them (the one in green) a few years ago. It's a fairly simple costume, but if done well, looks really cool.

20. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I picked up the prize donation (some giftcards) from Neo Tokyo today. We now have all the donations.

I also printed up ballots for the ballot draw, two 24" x 36" signs for a sandwich board sign holder which will display the day's schedule, some posters to put up downtown before the weekend, and certificates of achievement (which we'll give out to all the prize winners). Is there anything I've forgotten?

21. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    I got 2 more target hoops for the thermal detonator toss and I'm making a new target for the wookiee sniper shoot.

22. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    Great!

Do we still need more foam sabers for the lightsaber tournament?

23. Lord_Robert

Sep 20, 2005
    Are they being sold anywhere?

I was thinking we'd have to give them out to people who sign the guest book, on a while suplies last. It maybe an expence that we will have to cut too. they were a $1, now they are $2.
    first year we had about 90 and they were all gone.
    second year we had about 90 and came back with about 60.

24. TK42Tom

Sep 3, 2008
    Dollarama has the fold out plastic light sabers for $1.25 each, that light up and make sounds....if that helps :)

25. jedidougcdn

Dec 31, 2008
    I checked Dollarama in Sherwood Forest Mall and they have 2 different styles of foam swords in stock. There is a grey foam pirate-style sword (which I believe is $1), and a new "lightsaber" style sword with either a blue or red "blade" and lightsaber-shaped hilt. I believe these are $2 each and they seem to have a hard plastic core inside the foam. I can pick up some tomorrow - say $20 worth. Just let me know which kind would be best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.