main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Third Annual Winter Holiday Fic-gift Exchange~ Thanks, stats and questions from mav

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I have a plot, and have wrote a couple paragraphs, but it's slow going as the characters are unfamiliar to me (I've only read up on them in Wookieepedia which isn't the same as actually reading the stories). Apologies to the person I'm writing this for, but it will be late. :(

2. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    I haven't even written anything so far. I don't want to give up on this, but I know I can't finish this on time. :oops:

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    The Name

FicGift for TheMacUnleashed.

Hope you like it.

Happy New Year.

[:D]

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Tykes, Toys, And A Twi?lek for Jade_Max

This was a challenge because I'm not very familiar with the characters and it's probably nothing like what you wanted [face_blush], but I hope you like. [:D]

5. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Like? Loved it! I didn't have anything in mind when the request came together, and you put it into a full picture. Nicely done, Tracie - thanks so much!! [:D]

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  7. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    I finally got over my procrastination too! [face_blush]

My request features Luke, Mara, (and Han) and is for Sithgirl132. Hope you enjoy! [:D]

Happily Ever After

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Remember everyone, fic-gifts are due tonight by midnight board-time!!
    Hopefully the master list will be updated by tomorrow evening.

After much procrastination and worry here is the fic-gift for Idrelle_Miocovani: With Open Eyes. I hope this is what you wanted and that you enjoy it... I've never really written either of these characters. [face_worried]

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    And no worries, mav, you've done a beautiful job! [:D] Thank you SO MUCH, it's a wonderful gift! [:D] [:D]

And also, thanks to mav for hosting this season's fic-gift exchange. I always enjoy this challenge; it's was a ton of fun as the writing of the gifts is just as wonderful as receiving them, since you never know what you're going to get or how it is going to challenge your muse. Can't wait for next year (seriously :p ) and =D==D= for everyone who participated! :D

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    You know, I replied in the thread but I realized that I hadn't said anything here!

I absolutely loved my gift! It was VERY thoughtful and thought provoking, and I could see the scene that was presented - almost hear the characters breath - what a wonderful gift!

11. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey guys, sorry I'm not making t in before the deadline. My fic is finished it just needs to be proofread and such. Some family stuff came up last minute and I've been flying for the past 15 hrs so...blah. My fic will be up tomorrow for sure though.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Alright, it's not finished yet, but here is the first chapter to Jedi_Trace's request: Wayward Son.

13. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I think I'm probably late, and I'm sincerely sorry. PointGiven, here is your fic-gift: I Understand, from this prompt: I would like a story in Beyond featuring:
    1. reconciliation
    2. coming of age (for Allana)
    3. a full accounting of Jacen's good deeds as a Jedi and evil deeds as a Sith

I do not want: mushiness/sappieness/cheesieness. It should bascially be a mature appraisal of Jacen by the two loves of his life, not a touchy feely story (Sorry but I've never been a fan of them )

Characters: Tenel Ka, Allana, Jacen's Force spirit

And dancing_star, thank you so much! Even more so after tonight. Considering my life recently, I think I needed something like this.

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    :D It's a great start! Thank you so much! [:D]

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    For GeneralKenobi7, with my apologies for lateness (the ear that had a ruptured eardrum in 2008 is now giving me significant pain and problems and I've been quite unwell all weekend), Her Regards. Happy holidays and sorry it took me until 6 minutes before the deadline to get my internet and my muse to cooperate with each other!

Your fic-gift is for: GeneralKenobi7

Their Request is:
    I would like a story in the Saga featuring:
    1. an embarrassing situation
    2. a hug
    3. an annoyed Jedi Master

I do not want: Palpatine in it

Characters: Anakin, Obi-Wan

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Thanks, DarthIshtar, I really loved it (don't worry about the lateness, it's okay)! I hope you'll feel better soon:( [:D]

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it! Now I just have to go back and read the one written for me.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
  19. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
  20. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Aww, you're welcome! [:D] I'm so glad you liked it! [face_dancing]

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    First off I want to thank each and every one of you for another wonderful Fic-gift Exchange! You all have made this the most successful year yet and that is awesome! [:D] (Stats below!)

I want to say a huge thank you to Ceillean and MiralukaJedi! They not only managed to complete their own fic-gifts but wrote a second fic-gift since there were people who were not able to finish. =D==D= [:D] Also thank you to Jade_eyes who volunteered to write another fic-gift.

STATISTICS:

2009:
    31 out of 34 people received their fic-gifts this year for a resounding 91.2% =D=
    Best year yet!

2008: 28 out of 32 (87.5%)

2007: 27 out of 30 (90%)

If you did not receive your fic-gift and you have not been contacted by the person who was writing you letting you know what was going on, let me know and I'll do my best to find someone to write it for you.
    If anyone would like to volunteer to write, please let me know!

QUESTIONS:
    Not too many this year! ;)

1. What would you think of a rule that did not allow already established OC's?
    (OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too! :) )

2. Should the deadline for fic-gifts be pushed back just a little further to allow the holidays to die down a little. (Like to the 10th of January?)

3. Anything I can do to improve for next year?

Thank you all once again! [:D]

EDIT: Don't worry if you don't see your fic in the master list yet... I've not gotten the chance to complete it. The snow has been reeking havoc!

22. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Hmh, I would agree with not allowing established OCs (because of the reasons you listed). I thought the deadline was fine, but I don't know about the others...

Thank you for moderating this great exchange, I couldn't think of anything you might do better![:D] :)

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    1. Oh geesh, it's hard enough writing established cannon characters you've never written before or even read except for on Wookieepedia. Writing someone else's OC, especially if you haven't read their stories... that would be very intimidating. I'd agree to not allow them.

2. I think the deadline was fine (it wasn't anything about the holidays that made me not finish mine on time LOL).

3. I can't think of anything to improve on what you did. Thank you for co-ordinating this. [:D]

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    1. I wrote a story with an OC and I simply PMed the author and asked for an outline of the character. This was quick, simple, and VERY helpful. If someone is going to help out when they ask for an OC, I don't see a problem with it.

2. I thought the deadline was fine.

3. Can't think of anything to improve it. It seemed to go very smoothly and was well organized! :D

25. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    QUESTIONS:
    Not too many this year! wink

1. What would you think of a rule that did not allow already established OC's?
    (OC's are great and I know people want to see someone else write their character but it makes it very difficult for me to find someone to write for it. If you all decided to keep them, that is fine too! happy )

Been going back and forth on this. Yes, it is frustrating to introduce OC's to readers who are not familiar with them. That takes too much time and words to supply background and may take away from the person's request. However, I have myself included secondary characters who are there just to prolong the story, like a bartender or a guard. On the other hand, I would never ask a writer to write one of my own characters simply for the same reason - too much time to have them do the research for a small fic.

2. Should the deadline for fic-gifts be pushed back just a little further to allow the holidays to die down a little. (Like to the 10th of January?)
    Or maybe start them earlier like in the first of the month of Dec or even have the requests sent in late Nov and have them due around Xmas time. End of the year is a hard time to find time for but it seems like most fics were submitted before Xmas.

3. Anything I can do to improve for next year?
    Nothing except the earlier timing of the submissions.

Great job, mavjade !!! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.