main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Third Essential Guide to Characters (formerly "Who would you want to see . . . ?")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dan Wallace, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Having read Allegiance and seeing the Hand of Judgment (and Mara)'s impression of ISB, I wonder how someone as relatively nice and polite as Yularen could ever be allowed in ISB; being a total jerk-wad seems to be a the top requirement of joining ISB.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's nearly 20 years on from RoTS- maybe the ISB has over time gotten worse since it was founded.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Or maybe Yularen was only a part-time ISB member.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah there are properly also "nicer" ISB people. Though in Yularens case he joined to weed out corruption in the military and ministries.

purplerain and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True. Jaller Obrim was in ISB just after ROTS and he was a "good chap" as Traviss would probably say. :p

Mia Mesharad and purplerain like this.
  6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Considering the people she views as "good" that should set off all kinds of alarm bells.

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Traviss probably wanted to write a book about the hero Palpatine and how he freed the galaxy from the corruption of democracy.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The TCW people thought he was a grand admiral? What? That's the official story?

I am aghast. I never thought I'd say this -- in fact, someone make note of the precise date -- but couldn't they have checked Wookieepedia??

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There are so many people who only know TCW, it is sad.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah, the Clone Wars movie commentary track mentioned it.

Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    As long as they're not content creators, it's not an issue.

12. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, because with the amount of anti-Palpatine sentiment present in her work I'm sure that's what she was going for... o_O The only time Palpatine was positively portrayed in a Traviss novel was the movie novelization for TCW, and even then, that's only because it's his POV.

Sadly, yes. As noted in the film's commentary, someone on the creative team saw Yularen in the Death Star conference, wearing what they believed was the white uniform of a Grand Admiral, and ran with the idea for their Clone Wars-era take on the character. And yes, even the briefest glance over of his Wookieepedia page at the time would've been sufficient to correct the misunderstanding. The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, however, manages to reconcile the error in a generally satisfying manner, noting a simple change of service following the Empire's rise.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He was probably mixing up Traviss with me. Happens all the time.

Robimus, jSarek, RC-1991 and 6 others like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Maybe so, but Obrim probably was one of the good ones. C'mon. Loyal cop, intelligent, not corrupt, willing to take a few "behind the scenes" steps with the military to stop terrorists, etc. There's nothing really ISB about him.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Just a few steps from

"Ask your chief executive about his interest in Twi'lek artistic pursuits on every fourth of the month, and if he'd like me to give police surveillance holovids of the visits to the cultural center to his lovely wife. Your call."

to

"We're the Imperial Security Bureau. What we say is principle; what we decide is regulation; what we do is law."

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I find it so funny that they still print a book that acts like Sidious isn't the Emperor.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't see why anybody ever thought that he wasn't. How did it take 6 years for people to figure it out?

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    They either didn't care or thought it was too obvious.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So just for ****s and giggles I went poking through your post history from back then to see if I could find an incriminating statement on the subject. No luck, alas, but I did enjoy this.

Valin__Kenobi and Gorefiend like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that isn't creepy.

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  22. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Is there anything else that's hilariously out-of-date in NEGTC?

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Maul's fate?

Barriss_Coffee and purplerain like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The NEGTC covers up Pelly's desertion at Endor.

RC-1991 and purplerain like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well...the only difference is that Obrim probably would never treat a stormtrooper like Drelfin did. And he'd never shoot innocents either, let alone order it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.