main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Third Essential Guide to Characters (formerly "Who would you want to see . . . ?")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dan Wallace, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Who knows, people change, though yep I doubt he would have been sent to Investigations, more likely Internal Affairs, or he just got sent to Re-Education if he made trouble.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    True that people change (just look at Daala, Revelation vs. JAT!) but Traviss seems to treat stormtroopers with almost the same reverence as she does clones (look at how Vader treats them and Lekauf in her short stories!), so I imagine that if she wrote Allegiance instead of Zahn, we'd have Obrim smacking down the stormies that actually did fire on the innocents, and promoting the Hand of Judgment. That would make for a rather short novel, though. :p

Also, given the way Obrim was acting in 501st, I imagine he'd be defecting pretty fast given his disgust for the new Imperial methods. I wonder...how would Traviss write a book featuring the Rebel Alliance? Part of me knows that somehow she'd have the Null boys join up and they'd be the ones to discover Echo Base on Hoth, but part of me really, really wants to read that book.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't know about the Rebel Alliance, but I was under the impression that Imperial Commando II was going to be about pre-Alliance Rebels- specifically, Callista and her mission to stop the Eye of Palpatine.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Traviss writing Callista's mission would've been really cool, IMO; I wonder how she would've tied it in to the main plot? I know in the original plot Darman would kidnap his own son to "protect" him from General Zey and Kina Ha, and then would return later when Skirata gave Zey and Kina Ha to Djinn Altis. But would Skirata's clan have been tied in to the Eye of Palpatine thing, or would there have been two separate plots, ending when Altis told Skirata that two of his Jedi, including Callista, had "died."

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [face_shame_on_you]

Ah you just want to smack Lekauf upside the head, given how much of a Gary Stue he is, he will probably crumble into plastic if anyone did so, hopefully along with his grandson who is even worse. Given how he even just got his name to troll another author doesn't make it better.

Or not, she even has Clones look down on other Clone Troopers from a different sources, which is so "wtf" all in itself it you could write a whole essay on it.

Or you know they drag him screaming and kicking down to the fun dark room no one in the ISB likes to talk about, but everyone knows about. Traviss characters in general just get away with way to much anyway, which would have apparently been even worse if she got to write her last Commandos book.

You my friend have a sick mind. :p

TheRedBlade and Shadow Trooper like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    While a part of me knows that everything you say is true, the Traviss-fan part of me simply cannot comprehend this. [face_shame_on_you]

Also yes...yes I do. ;)

7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    One thing I like about NEGTC is that it's from a time when the EU was more original, the GFFA was actually going somewhere, and Jacen hadn't been replaced with "Jacen".

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The NEGTC did start a wave of the guides starting to use some pretty decent character art -- and it's had some influence outside too, such as Jaina's drawing there being almost iconic (it's the design the action figure decided to use). They also gave a pretty good version of Pestage's outfit.

The original guide had character art too, of course, but having them in color is nice.

TheRedBlade, Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I love the NEGTC art.

Especially action-pose Borsk, the unabashed HORSE PILOT, and Nym's "I offer this rifle to the mighty Sun King" pose.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Clones are individuals. For some to dislike others is perfectly logical.

Please :p

Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    You are correct, surely some clones will not like others. Slick sure seemed to have his opinion on Rex and Cody...

I mean, I know Jori Lekauf was a Gary Stu but really, Erv wasn't featured enough to really be one...was he?

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, of course the Magic hacker skills of the Nulls would have discovered the existence of the Eye of Palpatine and it's mission, Kal would have had an exestential crisis about it targeting kids vs him protecting Jedi kids when Jedi are the Evilz, and they would pawn it off on Altis and go back to their perfect little green acres on Mandalore, killing off Deathwatch cause they look funny.

jSarek, Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah at this rate that sounds about right.

15. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    The cancellations might start flowing like wine soon.

16. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It has to have the characters up to Episode XV.

17. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I was excited about this when it looked like it was going to be almost all EU characters, now I don't even care anymore.

Plaristes likes this.
  18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    The Administration should start changing the thread titles to reflect cancelled projects. Eventually we will have whole pages of thread titles "Essential Guide to Characters Cancelled" "Sword of the Jedi Cancelled" "Legacy Cancelled" "Kemp Duology Cancelled" "DOTJ Cancelled" so on...........

_Catherine_ likes this.
  19. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    I wonder what will happen to these 150 character illustrations...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    "The Literature Forum - Canceled"

Robimus and RC-1991 like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Blargh this deal is getting worse all the time.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Gorefiend likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Even if it is officially cancelled, we should keep in mind that some form of new SW character guide is going to happen at some point--it's a foregone conclusion with five movies on the way. The extent to which it resembles what we were all hoping Essential Characters would be is very debatable, but I wouldn't put it past them to salvage the existing work as much as possible.

Worst-case scenario, it will make an awesome series of SW Blog "cut material" posts in a few years. [face_sigh]

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Karking blazes, some of those preview illustrations looked cool. :mad:

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This was bound to happen. With the new star wars movie coming out and all the re-structuring going on, it was only plausible that it would happen. Am I happy about it? No, I was looking forward to this book along with the Sword of the Jedi trilogy. But, like I've said before, star wars is no longer under GL so all that applied before is basically out the window.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Damn... I was looking forward to this. I just hope that Dan Wallace's material and the art get shared in some other medium. :(

Coop is right though. There will be another guide to characters at one point. It will just be non-EU and revolve around the movie trilogies and potentially TCW and Rebels.

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.