main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Third Essential Guide to Characters (formerly "Who would you want to see . . . ?")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dan Wallace, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    What, you didn't see the preview art? :confused:

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Should have just stuck to the 2012 release date.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's lots of characters that I was looking forward to learning about. :_|

Hopefully they'll let Dan Wallace finish things up on his blog, and if not, hopefully NEGTC will stay in print.

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You think your blog is safe?
    It is an illusion.
    A comforting lie, told to protect you.
    Enjoy these final moments of peace.

[​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if we'll ever see a new essential guide.

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Agreed. With the caveat that I know zero about the behind-the-scenes so this is just me ranting:

Since these are never 100% up to date--publishing lead times being what they are--the temptation is always to wait until after the Next Big Project so it can be included. But there's always another Next Big Project, so they end up getting pushed back and pushed back and maybe abandoned. Which is frustrating. Seems better to put out what they had, call it a day, and then start work on the Episode VII-IX edition as a separate entity.

I like to think some of it will resurface on the SW.com blog or something, just so it wasn't a total waste of development money and time, but that's more wishful thinking than anything.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This would have been so fitting as the final essential guide considering that the first essential guide was to characters.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Is there any real question that the ludicrous delays were entirely due to Wheatley?

To which I'll add an unpopular opinion: I don't think he's the Greatest Artist Ever like everyone else here seems to, and his inability to get anything done even remotely on time is pretty unprofessional and it would have gotten Dark Times canceled if it wasn't the DH editor's pet project.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  9. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    He is a pretty great artist but I agree it doesn't make sense that the world stops turning for him.

RC-1991 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    I doubt they would Sithcan an entire book because of art delays. They'd add a second artist, or simply replace him.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think they cancelled the book because of the art delays, the art delays kept pushing the book back enough that it didn't come out until after the Episode 7 announcement and by that point was already scheduled to come out after the movie, which means that it not only wouldn't include any movie characters but a lot of its content would probably be for a continuity that no longer existed.

12. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Gotcha. But 50-100 character illustrations can't be much more volume than an issue or two of Dark Times, surely? So that may have been a factor, but I still suspect the delays were more the result of (as Dan already discovered with the Atlas and the Complete Encyclopedia) an all-encompassing project like this taking a lot longer than you initially expect, especially when stuff keeps coming out while you're writing it.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, whatever happens to this thing, I'm not remotely prepared to blame Wheatley.

Contessa likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh I'm totally blaming that guy. I already blame him for my late homework assignments.

"Why was the report late? Well, Wheatley didn't finish the diagrams yet..."

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Ooooooh. I should totally use that for my Latin translations.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Unacceptable.

DROP TO THE FLOOR AND GIVE ME THREE PHILIPPICS, STATIM!!

17. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Why though? I don't get it.

Release the one that's almost ready now, and then two or three years later release another one with information from the new movies and TV series and comics and novels. You make more money that way.

I just don't get it. [face_dunno]

18. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Because the characters covered in this won't be the same ones seen on movie screens.

19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Obviously, since the film apparently hasn't got a shooting script yet. That's why there is going to be a book with the new characters further down the line. I still see no reason not to publish this book before the film is released. They'd get to sell an extra book on SW characters, a book money has already been spent on.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Okay, I will put it this way then. The EU is dead and Lucasfilm/Disney don't want the confusion of this book being on the shelves. It's harsh but it is the reality we now face.

21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I wonder if all the other books will go out of print too.

22. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Nothing will go out of print as long as it can make a profit.

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This book presumably could have made a profit. Unless the EGs are love letters to the fans subsidized by the novels.

24. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah well, the point is it may never go to print. I understand the allure of apocalypticism, but it can go too far. Whatever the case may be about the future of SW tie-ins, they won't stop printing stuff that sells. Splinter of the bloody Mind's Eye is still in print, for god's sakes, and for a long, long time, so shall be all Star Wars books.

25. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Aren't all of Dark Horse's books going out of print at the end of the year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.