Lit Third Essential Guide to Characters (formerly "Who would you want to see . . . ?")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dan Wallace, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Hmm... reading a full "group" list like that makes me wonder: would it work better if (more or less) the whole thing was group based?

Obviously it wouldn't ever be entirely group based, some characters (Luke) would inevitably always have to have their own pages, but I'm thumbing through the Atlas and realising that it isn't just, or even predominantly, a bunch of individual planetary descriptions like the old Essential Guide to Plants and Moons, is it? What made the Atlas so, so much better than the EGtPaM was the fact the Atlas took a whole new approach, dividing the galaxy up into larger regions and taking a much more bird's eye view of galactic history.

Yeah, we still had a few pages in the middle dedicated to individual planets, like the inevitable Luke article, but the Atlas gave us so much more by taking a broader perspective--which is the one thing that Wookieepedia by large doesn't do! The Wookiee is built up of thousands of individual pages, the more the merrier, where anything that can be shipped off to its own page usually is. If a page can be shortened, then a hyperlink is added and a dedicated page about something is made.

The Atlas was never going to be capable of having thousands of pages for every single planet. So it didn't. It focused on something else: the entire galaxy, instead of individual planets.

Applying a similar approach to a character guidebook, I'm wondering how it'd work if, for example, you just had a section on the New Jedi Order and within it documented all the key movers and shakers of the decades during which it's existed, going into depth about Luke, Mara, the Solos, Ben, etc. Lots of art, lots of character history, but with more space given to some characters (Luke) and less attention to less central characters.

It'd still follow the basic goal of being about the characters instead of about the organisation (so wouldn't be the same as the EGTTF). But if it was more group oriented, you'd be providing something that people can't necessarily just go to Wookieepedia for instead. To take the Atlas as an analogy: the Wookiee doesn't do the Atlas's job. It can't. The Wookiee breaks all the information in the Atlas up into isolated pages about the worlds mentioned. Sure, the information is there, but it's not like I plan to go through A-to-Z of the Wookiee's planets category any time soon. But the Atlas was a pleasure to read because it grouped all this strange and familiar information together.

As people have mentioned, unless this was made electronic with live updates like the Atlas, it means it'd go out of date before it was even published, again making the Wookiee more useful. I remember when I first got the NEGTC and found the Nom Anor article weak simply because I already knew more about him from the Wookiee than the printed article contained. But if, say, there was a section on the Covenant Crisis, with the story of the KOTOR comics, and profiles of Zayne, Jarael, Gryph, mentions of Lucien, Haazen, Krynda, etc, the primary content would be "This is Zayne Carrick. This is his biography." but it'd also have enough random information about the rest of the cast to be fulfilling?

It's Occam's razor in that I'm wondering quite what individual pages get us if a lot of them are going to be wasting space telling the exact same events (e.g. Ben, Caedus and Luke will have near identical accounts of numerous events of the Second Galactic Civil War). I dunno... I confess this is starting to sound more like a new Chronology but... I'm just trying to think of how you could structure a character oriented sourcebook in a "new way" like what the Atlas did with the old EGtPaM? When I bought the Atlas, I wasn't expecting any more than a giant tome of planet descriptions, boy oh wrong I was! I'm trying to think how a character book could take a similar new approach?

The main cast certainly warrant their own pages as they have enough of their own stories, but, I think things like Clan Skirata are the kind of things that could easily benefit from a quasi-chr
  2. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Two of those characters we already know are going to figure in upcoming projects, and one more is having a new release very vaguely rumored. That's all it is.
  3. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, I guess the old Mustache of the Empire was pretty damned busy post-YVW. :p

Since we are all mentioning "group shots", I might as well throw in a request for "New Republic Military Officers". Give me A'bhat, Brand, Areta Bell, Vantai, Nantz, and all the other supporting officers.

Group entries/pictures might work very well for the Legacy comics as well. Off the top of my head, I would include the following groups:

Jedi
    Wolf Sazen, Shado Vao, Rasi Tuum, Kol Skywalker

One Sith
    Darth Krayt, Darth Wyyrlok, Darth Nihl, Darth Maladi, Darth Talon, Darth Stryfe

Fel Empire
    Roan Fel, Marasiah Fel, Antares Draco, Ganner Krieg, Sigel Dare, Treis Sinde

Galactic Alliance Remnant
    Gar Stazi, Jaius Yorub, Jhoram Bey, Anj Dahl, Ronto, Andurgo, Monia Gahan, Ona Antilles

Oh yeah, these groups would make me happy. :D

--Adm. Nick
  4. Taral-DLOS Jedi Master

star 3
    EMPRESS TETA.

I've been begging for more info on Empress Teta and her star system for a while. I wanted the Empress Teta System to be in the Atlas (crossing fingers for an online supplement), and a profile on her, her rise to power and desire for unification (only barely touched in the comics), the Jedi of the era (Nadill, Odan-Urr, Ooroo), and her legacy (all the way down to the Krath).

It would also help establish how there's an empress who conquered all the planets in her system being a major representative in a democratic Galactic Republic. You'd think they would reject her Empire.
  5. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    The YVH war cry came from one of the NJO novels

As for new character to add

Ben Skywalker
    Saba
    Updated Lowbacca entry
    Waroo
    Cade Skywalker
    Nat Skywalker
    Gunn Yage
    Jariah Syn
    Nei Ren

Pretty much anyone important from the least several years.

Also new pics of starships because i'm tired of seeing the same pics for the Jade Sabre and the Jade Shadow. I also want to see a picture of the Turbulent class star destroyer and a few others as well.
  6. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Lusa. We need a ten page article on her, detailing her miraculous escape from Chiron and eventual escape to the Unknown Regions.

What? It's me. :p
  7. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    she's dead... and stays dead thx to the NJO :p I don't want to imagine how Raynar would have tried to mate with her... oh these images... go away! go away! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhh [face_hypnotized]
  8. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    [face_talk_hand]

Tenel Ka needs an expanded entry, to be serious.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I was about to suggest something similar too- it might make it easier to connect various articles/biographies that way (rather than, say, spreading out Satine, Mandalore, Boba and Mirta, etc by alphabetical order). Each category has it's stand out characters who could get their full page/multipage bios, followed by various secondary or background characters who could be either group-shoted or given smaller half-page/quarter-page entries.

ie:

Jedi:
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi
    -Ahsoka Tano
    -Luke Skywalker
    -Leia Organa Solo
    -Ben Skywalker
    -Cade Skywalker
    -Quinlan Vos
    -Zayne Carrick
    -etc
    -Knights of the Old Republic: (TOTJ through prequel Jedi)
    -The New Jedi Order: (Corran, Kyle, Saba, Jaden, etc)
    -Legacy of the Jedi: (Sazen, Kol, etc)

Mandalorians:
    -The Fetts
    -Mandalores
    -Satine

Troopers:
    -Rex
    -Cody
    -Alpha
    -Clone Commanders
    -Clone Commandos
    -Stormtroopers/501st
    etc

Alternatively, maybe simply grouping things by eras would make things easiest- especially since, presumably, any new guide's main aim would be as a supplemental reference source used to help promote recent/current/upcoming SW projects.

In this case, it's obvious this guide would have to support TCW and ROTS primarily, catch up on major event sources like KOTOR, TFU & NJO/DNT/LOTF/FOTJ, and support things like Knight Errant, Legacy and, probably, the live action series.

Looking at it that way, it makes it easier to breakdown or ID the must-includes/must-carry-overs, and then allows each section to expand where needed on heavier EU inclusions.

ie:

Knights of the Old Republic: Ulic, Exar, Zayne, Demagol, Revan, Malak, Knight Errant, etc.
    The Old Jedi Order/Prequel Era: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Maul, Sidious, Bane, Hoth, etc
    The Clone Wars: Grievous, Ahsoka, Quinlan, Ventress, Dooku, Jango, etc
    Dark Times: Dass, Starkiller, etc
    The Rebellion: Big 3, etc
    The New Republuic, The NJO, Legacy, etc, you get the idea.

Might even be able to make some symetry with that format (ie: a main character/Jedi, a rogue, a Fett/Mando, etc for each era gets a major entry, followed by minor ones).
  10. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I forgot about the Marek men, Juno, Kota and Proxy
  11. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    Why hasn't anyone demanded pages devoted to X1 and X2? [face_mischief]
  12. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    See a lot of times it's the smaller, minor characters I forget and will refer to the encyclopedia for info on/a reminder. Or people from the comics/books I haven't read that suddenly become important to a story I'm reading now (Lumiya comes to mind, since I didn't read the Marvel comics, but read LOTF and was curious about her backstory, but didn't have the ability to get all the old Marvel comics).

I would say for minor characters only include people with a really awesome/creative bio that would be fun to read just for the story of their life.
  13. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    If those pages said "These characters have been deemed non-canon, because, ya know, we watched the original trilogy again and were like 'Whoops'", then champagne would be on me. [face_peace]

I second Rum Smuggler's Lumpy suggestion.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060712011955/starwars/images/6/6e/Lumpawaroo-HT.jpg]
  14. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Just move the 'Jedi Master Luke' parts of the game post-Endor/Dark Empire, and continuity issues solved, IMHO.
  15. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    It's not... continuity, per se, that renders X2's existence the biggest headdesk/facepalm in the history of SW. It's simple OT logic. Luke being the last Jedi, and all. Not "Luke being one of a handful of Jedi serving the Rebellion." Seriously, it misses the entire point of Star Wars because "zOMG Force-users in the OT era!!!!!!!2" is cool, apparently.

Would anyone, in the entire world, lose sleep if Lucas Licensing slapped the infinities logo on a few of Lucasarts' products?

But we digress.
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    y

Yes. You have to take the EU... like a man! You take the good with the bad.

And that being said, I'm reminded that Rookie One is an essential character. Especially the whole thing about the Battle of Hoth in 0 BBY.
  17. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Or just pretend the bad never happened in your personal canon. Thankfully, the Spanish Inquisition has no ability to force you to accept GODV as canon anytime soon. [face_whistling]
  18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Except that the words personal canon do not work together.

"They called me crazy for building this ark."
    "You ARE crazy. You filled it with same sex animal couples."
    "Hey, there are parts of the Bible I like and parts I don't like."
  19. killfire Force Ghost

star 4
    He's not really Star Wars but I'd sneak in James T. Kirk for good measure.
  20. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    No, you're right -- he's totally in the running.:p
  21. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Lumpy was his name as a child. He goes by Waroo now
  22. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    See: Galaxies.
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Rookie One would be a nice little bonus entry in the supplements or in a Rebel group entry of some sort. Maybe even give him a name (Exile- get in line!).

Oh, and "Gamma Base", not Hoth ;)
  24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_shhh]
  25. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What about doing it by the ERA? Rakatan Empire to New Sith Wars, Banite Era, PT, OT, NJO, Legacy....

TFU can get an asterisk and one small paragraph.
    Its a bad holo-drama, IU... re---member.
    ;)