main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Third Installment of the 2007 Jedi Draft [USWD Trial Underway]

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthIntegral, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Not contesting that overall. Though I think Tycho/Gavin/Tiin would give Fel/Han/Kyp/Wes a run for their money, with a strategist like Declann around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts overall (this is a trial, yeah?):
    -I am sort of in favor of moving teams back the traditional way. Otherwise trumping becomes disprortionately useful because it adds an extra guy into teams (particularly useful for "block buster" people- add say Anakin Solo to Luke. Luke is winning anyways, Anakin is probably losing since we only draft four people, but Anakin gets a free pass into teams, where he could tip the balance. Same thing with say, Wedge and Kell Tainer in starfighters.
    -Jedi are (obviously going on, but even more so now) the key people going in. They are probably going to dominate the top two or three rounds also, with MAYBE Wedge sneaking in there also. Non-force sensitive pilots aren't going to be as worth as much, since even if they win outside, they aren't going to particularly help inside. Maybe you could make it so the command room where the strategist are is closer to the hull, so the pilots could have a shot killing the strategists and balance it more between Jedi and Starfighters? I'd like it better that way, but having it jedi-centric is also fine.

Umm...thats all I have now.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Remember that idea I had before, Ken? Please post it, cause I lost the chatlog.

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Oh yeah. It's called "You made an admitted mistake voting Bane over Kenobi I don't owe you any favors."

Just kidding. I'll post it in a few.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    oh, right, judgments.

Ken's team is better and more cohesive. It wins.

But I'd love to see Durge vs. Luke. Someone at Dark Horse needs to get that done.

5. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'll agree with that

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Winners Bracket:

Team Rufio advances to the finals.

Losers Bracket:

Ko He shin vs. Emperor's New Groove

Yoda and His Merry Men are eliminated.

Numbers in 24, plz.

7. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Pssst. I'm Team Rufio. Not Ko He shin.

And I'd like to see Luke Prime in anything DH. Somebody call Stradley.

Oh yeah, and teams stuff. That's part of why I trumped so much this past round. Also, I never trumped much before. But yeah, a survivor team match definitely favors them.

Zooks' idea was that, every match, each of the primary categories-- Force-Users, Pilots, and Non-Force-Users-- would be evaluated individually. Thus, "teams" would be worth 3 wins-- one for each of the categories. It'd still be an odd number to break ties, but it'd also provide cohesive teams in the hole at least some chance at a comeback.

In other words, let's say you're down 4-6 in the individual portion of the round...but then you win each individual teams category. You pull out a win 7-6.

Pros?
    --Makes teams not such a clusterkriff, evaluating groups separately.
    --You can have bad numbers, or just an individually-lesser but teamwise-better team, and still pull out wins-- giving better teams, at least in those respective groups, better chances to win.
    --Trumping shouldn't be quite as crazy rampant as it is in the current system.

Cons?
    --Completely overall team aspect is lost-- rating them only in groups, Imp squadrons can win with Jedi, Rebel pilots with Sith, etc. (though I suppose that in particular might not be necessarily all con).
    --Reduces the flexibility of rosters-- you're not gonna play around with them as much if 3 wins are riding on your groups staying tight.
    --The Non-Force-Users group is gonna be tough to build/judge as a team with only two slots and that board. Plus, it holds as much weight as the other categories even though it has less players, and lacks the benefit of having its own previous draft. Getting rid of the strategists (who wouldn't really come into play in this system) and extending this group to four players would help solve that...but then the individual matches change too.

There's almost certainly more pros/cons to it, but that's it in an ettel shell.

So there's that, and then there's going back to the traditional battle royale wit cheese, with of course modifications to accommodate the starfighter element, such as Nigel's suggestions to the current Star Destroyer scenario.

And then there's probably something else, too.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I do like that idea. Sending all three groups to teams, no matter the score. I like it a lot, actually. I'd want to expand it to four NF combatants so everything is even, though.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I like it as well. Though with the overall cohesion aspect taken away, we'd probably be seeing some majorly powerful teams, with everyone just snatching up the strongest guys on the list for each category for the first few rounds.

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Shards of Cohesion ftw

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, I don't see that as a pure negative. Adds another layer to the draft, as you don't have to backed into just one corner in late rounds.

Also, I'd like to keep the strategists, but have them nowhere near the battle field. They get 24 hours to draw up a plan for their troops, and then go away.

12. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    If we adopt that system, we should remove Luke. He would be worth two autowins at that point, realistically. Just too unbalancing.

13. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah, with only 4 combatants in the Force-User category, and with rosters not as loaded in a larger player pool, Luke's definitely a team killer. Perhaps restrict him only to a piloting position-- or I guess a strategy position if you've really been stung by a fever wasp. Non-Force maybe too. Basically keep him away from killing everyone with a Bewitched-class nose twitch.

I do still like the overall cohesive factor, though, though removing it would make for some less restricting (and more interesting) combinations late. And if we keep the strategists and extend the NFU group to four, I'm assuming we'd just keep them in the regular mix and extend drafting to 14 rounds total.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Winners Bracket:

Team Rufio is just chillin.

Losers Bracket:

Ko He shin (0) vs. Emperor's New Groove (0)

Let's start with F4

Darth Bane vs. Darth Maul TRUMPED with Count Dooku

15. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    The trump is just too much for Bane to handle. Although Bane has them with force (although Dooku has a great deal himself), the over power him way to much with Saber skill. Plus being part of Bane's Sith, they probably know all about Bane and what he is capable of.

16. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Pfft, Bane doesn't overForce Maul/Dooks even in Karpyshyn's soggiest dreams.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    IMO, Maul could just smoke a cigar, and the trump would win this. :p

18. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I like Bane, but the trump has too much going for it

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Winners Bracket:

Losers Bracket:

Ko He shin (0) vs. Emperor's New Groove (1)

How about F3?

Exar Kun vs. Darth Sidious

Not gonna wait for confirmation on Palpy winning that one

Winners Bracket:

Losers Bracket:

Ko He shin (0) vs. Emperor's New Groove (2)

How about F2?

Anakin Skywalker vs. Darth Caedus

20. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    A close one, but edges(not large, but certain) in skill and experience and a big power gap(usable, anyway) give it to Caedus.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'll agree with that.

Winners Bracket:

Losers Bracket:

Ko He shin (0) vs. Emperor's New Groove (3)

F1 to get the forfeit out of the way ...

Darth Krayt vs. Count Dooku (forfeit)

Winners Bracket:

Losers Bracket:

Ko He shin (1) vs. Emperor's New Groove (3)

NF1 ...

General Grievous vs. Kir Kanos

22. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Edges in Skill? o_O To Caedus? o_O

Who exactly has he beaten with a lightsabre that makes me think he's as skilled as Anakin? And yeah, he has nifty force tricks for when he has time to pull them off, but I think his concentration may be a bit rattled by Anakin Skywalker raining hammer blows down upon him.

But whatever.

And I'm not going to argue this one because I have no idea who Kir Kanos is and I have no interest in looking it up for this trial. Just move on (And since its just a trial, you can pretty much just move on- even if I pushed it to teams I'd still lose because I have only one jedi v. all four for my opponent).

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Actually, I'd favor the good general.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Kypt? Suzi?

25. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry, Grievous Wins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.