main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Third Parties conspire against Nintendo

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by HowardFilms, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    So I was hearing a lot about the Superman Returns game, and when I got to the article on IGN, I noticed Gamecube wasnt listed as a release console...

I was pissed, but then i remembered something.

My friend told me he found SW Lego for GCN. This shocked me, because I had wanted it, but it had not had a GCN logo on the lucas arts site, or on any of the reviews.

So I decided to do a google search 'superman returns gamecube'

Gamespot had an article on it, it IS coming out for GCN. I was happy and furious.

Happy cuz the game sounds sweet.

MAD because WHY was it not listed on IGN? THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! Why do the third parties conspire against nintendo, as well as ANY major game sites/publications. I can only trust Nintendo Power these days!!!

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The LEGO SW Gamecube port happened maybe 6 months after the intial release which is why there was no Nintendo logo on the reviews or on the LucasArts site pre-release.

As to the rest of your post, I say "HUH?"

3. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Heh. EGM gets a ton of these claiming they hate Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and that they love the other 2. It's quite amusing.

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I thought you were talking in the next generation, in which case it's pretty obvious. PS3 and 360 are the exact same definition of video games as there has been since the NES (or 2600, but I'm not counting it because it used a joystick instead of what would become the traditional controller). Sure, the ammount of power has grown exponentially. The number of buttons on the controllers have increased. The formats of the games have changed, but it's always been Normal Controller+Normal Console= Normal Game.

Enter Rev and we get Abnormal Controller+Normal Console= WTF? It frightens developers, and I would imagine, with their eye on innovation, Nintendo would be hesitant to give developers a 'normal' controller, because they would take the quick and easy path and we'd have a bunch of third party clones running around on all the consoles.

5. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I thought Nintendo confirmed that the Gamecube controller would be compatable for games that didn't take advantage of the Wii's new technology.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes. I am sure that games media outlets are in a conspiracy to ensure that Nintendo fails.

From EA's E3 press release:
    "SUPERMAN RETURNS: THE VIDEOGAME challenges players to master Superman's unrivaled powers to save Metropolis. Based on 60 years of DC Comics and the upcoming motion picture, SUPERMAN RETURNS: THE VIDEOGAME creates the ultimate open-world super hero experience. As the Man of Steel, you'll hone your unworldly super powers such as Flight, X-Ray Vision and Freeze Breath to fight villains that only Superman can defeat. SUPERMAN RETURNS: THE VIDEOGAME will be available on Xbox 360, the PlayStation 2 console, Xbox, the PSP system, Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance."

A better question is why GameSpot still have it. Read their forums...it's been cancelled.

7. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Don't know why your getting all bent out of shape over "Superman Returns". From the screens and the trailer it just screams "mediocre EA cash grab". You should be happy that it won't be on the Gamecube. :p

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't think Nintendo and Superman mix anyway. Superman64 killed that idea.

9. Squishy_Vic

Squishy_Vic Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2004
    So what, Nintendo sucks, in my opinion. The best they ever came up with that interested me one bit was Pokemon and Metroid. Those were great. But games like Mario, Zelda, just suck, to me. So I don't care what happens to Nintendo :p

10. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Not saying die in a fire, but I wouldn't complain if it happened to you.

Oh sweet geminy, Nintendo isn't getting Superman Returns the video game. Oh noes it's a conspiracy. It's not. Look at whats going on. Except for Twilight Princess the GCN is dead this year. Everyone's waiting for the Wii. It's not surprising. Besides it's getting GBA and DS ports probably, which shows shovel ware support. The Wii uses a control scheme not readily open to ports. It's no problem. If the game is really important, or good, it will be on the console ebit, modified. And besides, the list isn't finalized yet.

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Not saying die in a fire, but I wouldn't complain if it happened to you.
    Gold, Jerry, gold. Can I put that in my sig?

12. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Go head.

Always an honor to be sigged.

13. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I hate to say it, but this conspiracy theory is the kind of stuff that makes gamers the target of ridicule..often,sadly,justified.
    Nintendo has an image...and I am not saying it is accurate....of featuring games that have a target audience of kids,and game companies do not think it's a good market for games aimed at a older (teenage and above) audience,which most movie tie in games are.
    And Nintendo has also been accused of being difficult for third party companies to work with.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, but most movie tie-ins suck. So it's not a problem.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    It looks like Nintendo is making an effort this gen (DS and Wii) to try to get more third-party support. Which is a good thing.

:)

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

After the stellar reviews for The Sith Lords I don't doubt a gay Hutt game feedback can be flexible as Clawdite Zams. There is little objectivity in the business world.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ I may presently be drunk, but I doubt that's the entire reason your post is completely unintelligible to me.

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    "After Sith Lords got good reviews, I have no doubt that games reviews can be easily manipulated. There's no objectivity in business."

That was actually a fairly simple Excellence post. You should see some of the Excellencese in Lit. :p

19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah. Besides, I think inebriation gives a +2 synergy bonus for reading Excellencese...

... or at least making it funnier. ;)

20. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Sadow's panties, that's a zahnpoint all right.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The Wii uses a control scheme not readily open to ports.<<

I think once the controller shell, or, at the very least, compatibility with the GCN controller becomes more widely known, you'll see more ports hit the Revolution.

22. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Is it really so bad to be difficult for ports? I mean since they have new tech to work with I want them to find ways to fully utilize that tech, not just port stuff.

Hell even EA has a new seprete development team just for the Wii.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, don't get me wrong- I think the Revolution's controller will encourage developers to innovate or specifcially customize their titles for the platform, which will result in more exclusives or, at the very least, enhanced editions of titles.

However, making it easy for companies to release the same title for all 3 platforms without having to dedicate additional resources to the port is beneficial to them, and would result in more titles being made available for the Rev itself- which could in turn boost sales of that system ("So I can get game X for the Revolution instead of the PS3 or 360, as well as all these exclusives?") and encourage more developers to specifically cater to the platform with future titles.

24. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Well, yesterday I found out that Call of Duty 3 will be on all three systems, even Wii. So maybe Nintendo won't be left in the dark, just yet.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

[Force persuade/Intimidate] Of course, I wouldn't have said that without evidence, and evidence there is a'plenty. Take Homeworld 2 for Sadow, a game of brillaint 3D graphics but utterly spastic controls. I will not define it any other way. Kiss my vader, not only can't you press the Escape or Return menu keys, you are entirely dependent on mouse movement---but the screen squares you click on are so slim and narrow, you must directly position your mouse hand over it!

None of them American reviews warn you the finale cutscene is a quick, cheap hump'a'bed, nor do they warn the mighty Sajuuk, hope of your world, is nothing more than a slower dreadnought. Incidentally, after two playthroughs I still can't obtain cloaking, and the game is riddled with key playability issues that work against it.

My Amazon review listed a ton of concerns, the full thousand word limit.

Where was all this and more on the hypnotised review sites? I'd find more objectivity gassing out of a Hutt, pardon my smuggler's argot. All I want is honest feedback, and I don't believe they can do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.