main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Third Parties conspire against Nintendo

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by HowardFilms, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I hope you're in the wrong thread.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Exclusive titles has always been Nintendo's strong point. The Wii's controller will be a blessing and a curse when it comes to that. It will help because there will be plenty of games tailor made for the Wii that will be impossible to port over to the other consoles without MAJOR changes. It will be a curse because developers of cross-platform games may not want to spend the extra money to take advantage of the Wii controller.

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Dude, can I buy some weed off you?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>It will be a curse because developers of cross-platform games may not want to spend the extra money to take advantage of the Wii controller.<<

Which is where the afore-mentioned controller shell/GCN controller compatibility comes in to eliminate that problem.

5. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    If it's standard with the system. If not, lots of people may not want to spend extra money to buy another controller type just to be able to play certain games. A $60 game is expensive enough without having to shell out another $10-$20 for a controller shell.

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Just my thoughts, HawkNC. *shrugs*

True or not, a good (holo) image was (decetively) put on The Sith Lords, and I read little of the 35 faults the game had in any review. I don't call that honesty, just people putting a good tablecloth on a marred table surface.

I'd make a terrible politician, I guess. :(

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> If it's standard with the system.<<

Well, the system, by default, has built-in ports for GCN controllers, so there's that level of compatibility right off the bat.

[image=http://www.playfeed.com/blogimages/revolutionports.jpg]

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    True. But if Nintendo is trying to convert the non-gamers like they say they are, these people aren't going to own a Gamecube in the first place. Therefore they won't own any controlers. Now that Sony has blatently ripped off Nintendo I think it is vital for their survival this gen to have the shell controller be standerd and come with every remote sold.

9. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Ultimate Third Party blowoff of Nintendo:

Starcraft Ghost. Was GCN compatiable until the last stages of development.

"Why did you remove the Gamecube as a list of compatiable platforms for Starcraft: Ghost?"

"Oh, we're not developing for Nintendo"

WHAT THE ****????

No wait, a better one. 1995 ish

Squaresoft (now Square Enix)

Ummmm Final Fantasy STARTED on Nintendo buddy! What the heck is this "we're now exclusive to the Sony crapstation"?

Oh and Sony, try to be a LITTLE more subtle in the blatant ripping off of Nintendo.

An "innovative" controller where it is a Dual Shock 2 shell and "motion trackers" with "6 degrees of freedom"... Either a direct counter to the Wii, or trying to rip off stuff Nintendo did for GameBoy 10 years ago... At least try to have some class beyond "let's rip off Nintendo at every turn."

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But if Nintendo is trying to convert the non-gamers like they say they are, these people aren't going to own a Gamecube in the first place. Therefore they won't own any controlers.<<

But therefore most likely won't be interested in the titles that use GCN/classic controllers.

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Gamespot found this pic in a batch that Nintendo revealed today. It's a "classic" controller, presumebly for playing older games on the Virtual Console.

[image=http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/news/05/09/wii_controller_screen001.jpg]

12. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    1. looks photoshopped

2. you really think Nintendo would put dual sticks that look an awful lot like PS2 sticks on their stuff? Sony copies Nintendo. Not the Other way around!

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That picture was given to Gamespot by Nintendo. If it's fake, then Nintendo faked it. It needs twin sticks for the Gamecube, and there isn't anywhere else to put them.

14. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
  15. Jim-Jam-Bonks

Jim-Jam-Bonks Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    That gun is sweet. :cool:

16. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    The dual shock is a rip-off of the SNES pad.

So to paraphrase MGS2

" I'm not stealing it, I'm taking it back."

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I once got over a million points in clay pigeon. My first cartridge had Super Mario Bro and Duck Hunt/Clay pigeon. Beat that!

18. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I dont think I got over a million but I had the same cartridge with Mario/DuckHunt

19. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I think the confirmation that the PS3 will be priced so high ...$500 and $600..gives Nintendo an opporutnity it they will make a real effort to attract the more "adult" gamer then they have in the past. But that Nintendo has a mediocre marketing department at best..(The name "Wii" is proof of that) leaves it open to question if they will.
    Nintendo really needs to reach beyond their traditional base if they want to be a player.

20. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes, Nintendo has a good chance of recovering from the performance of the Gamecube since the Wii features Innovative gameplay that seems to work very well, so this is their big chance to regain their former glory.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Pardon my Huttese, but what spastic would price a console at $500? . . . Hold on, what currency are we talking about, American?

No console should be worth more than $200 Aussie dollars. You can convert that to your own. The technology to advance games "that bit more" is a full nude lie, and I for one am not taken in. Economies of scale will profit your product in the game market in weeks. What do they take people for, a fool? Well . . . yes. :p

Guys, they're talking you all for fools. You pay massive dollars for a console that won't last 3yrs at best. How many cliche sports/racing games can you play "more realistically" yet again? By the time the brat halves in price, as it should have been, it's out with the old and in with the "new." They need a high starting price to balance the "research" of the extra megabyte console? That's full Bith bums. What tech, I have to ask? What's so complciated that Sony claims tens of millions, as one article I saw. Laughing Bith bums, I amend that to.

Just get a PC, with a high graphics card. It's a few hundred, but it will last a decade and more, and they will make it last to accrue more buyers, so games will be compatible and not high-tech advance too hard to lose numbers. You also have instant access to all controls, no menu cycling. It's a winner hand over fist.

You'll disagree with me, of course. But not if you view it from . . . afar. ;)

22. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Metal
    Gear
    Solid

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
  24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    If you are prepared to buy a console due to the fact it has one game on it then........ I just don't know what to say

MGS4 is not reason enough alone to buy a console, especially at $500

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    t's a few hundred, but it will last a decade and more, and they will make it last to accrue more buyers

Hahaha, you're killing me. I dare you to play any game released in the last 3 years on a PC you bought in 1996. Like, for example, my then very good Pentium 166 MMX with 128MB of RAM.

The PS2 has been going for 6+ years and you're still getting quality games for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.