Arena Third Time's a Charm: The Arena's New Official Attempt at WNBA/NCAA Women's Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Trika_Kenobi, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    It's on NBA TV. And don't get me wrong, I'm going to enjoy watching some college football tonight, but there's another preseason NFL game on ABC and tennis on ESPN2. No one wants to carry a super-great match-up like Phoenix and Seattle? And you know that ESPN2 would be playing reruns of poker or something if there wasn't tennis to be shown. [face_plain]
  2. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You'd probably be right about ESPN2 if it weren't for the fact it was kickoff night of college football. The NFL is king right now, so it being on ABC shouldn't be a surprise.
  3. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    The dreams of little girls everywhere are slowly dying... dying away. And it's all the fault of football! :p

Ah, well, bring on the college football tonight. lol
  4. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    The finals are set... Seattle and Atlanta will be playing for the title! I believe the first game is on Sunday afternoon on ABC, so tune in if you can! Both teams were at the top of the conference standings all year, really, and Seattle is just impressive to watch on so many levels. :)
  5. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Seattle takes the lead in the series after a game-winning shot by Sue Bird with a little under three seconds left. That's the second time she's done that recently... in fact, I think she did it in the last game against Phoenix. Lauren Jackson had something like 26 or 27 points. That's a great win for the Storm, though, for sure!

The next game is Tuesday night at 9pm on ESPN2. Get on it!
  6. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    At one point (probably during halftime of the FIBA game), I saw that Seattle was up big, but then Atlanta came back. Sounds like it could have been an exciting game.
  7. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The longest time I've ever watched a WNBA game (the whole 2nd half) came in the clinching game of a L.A./Detroit Finals................it was either 2003 or 2004, but Detroit had stopped the Sparks from winning 3 titles in a row.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:
  8. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    So are you saying you're bad luck Tunick? :p

And yes, the game was all-Storm until Atlanta came back there near the end... when these two teams play, it should be good... probably the best basketball the WNBA has right now. Most folks enjoy watching Phoenix, but the Storm and the Dream have it all, not just a super-hot scoring frenzy every game that comes back to bite them with other teams can play at that tempo, too. :p
  9. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey!! The Dream and the Storm are playing again tonight. It's Game 2 of the Finals, so get to ESPN2 at 9pm EST and watch some good basketball, eh? :cool:
  10. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I went to the big Pittsburgh history museum today, and they've got a good sports section. Swin Cash is a Pittsburgh girl, so they've got some memorabilia from here on display. It was pretty cool.
  11. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Very cool, DMC! I ought to check out our local sports museum sometime... Nancy Lieberman and Ticha Penicheiro would definitely be in there, among other great women ball players. :)

Anyone watching the game so far? Both teams are playing hard right with each other... the Storm may need another last-second shot from Sue Bird to secure the win! :cool:
  12. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I forgot to mention that Suzie McConnell-Serio is also from Pittsburgh, and they have stuff related to her there. She's in the women's basketball Hall of Fame and is currently the head coach of the Duquesne Dukes.
  13. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Nice! Hey, we both got Seattle right last night in Streak for Colors. Seattle is up 2-0 over Atlanta. One more game is all they need... will they get it Thursday? They've got to win it in Atlanta, but I think they can do it.
  14. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't know about Seattle clinching tonight. I gotta think that Atlanta is going to win at least one at home. Tonight would be the night.
  15. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Seattle made it a sweep - good for them. First championship team since the '76 Reds to go undefeated in the playoffs playing at least 7 games.
  16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Hey, look, R...J's posting in the Women's Basketball Thread! :eek:

Anyway, happened to see this article on ESPN... female-to-male transgendered person to continue playing for George Washington's women's basketball team.

Junior Kye Allums -- who used to be known as Kay-Kay -- is referred to on the school's website as a "male member of George Washington's women's basketball team."

I'm not really sure what I think of the situation right now, myself. Pretty unusual.
  17. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I read that article on SI.com earlier today. It's certainly an unusual, complicated situation.
  18. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Did anyone catch the second half of the Baylor/UConn game yesterday?

Baylor had a good chance to end UConn's streak, but there were a couple things that went against them. First, they used their last time out too early, so they couldn't set up a play to run with about 6 seconds left on the clock. Second of all, there appeared to be a shot clock violation against the Huskies that wasn't called. That also would have given Baylor the ball from an out of bounds area, so they could get some set of offense set up. Still, it was a pretty good ending to the game. UConn is definitley going to loose at some point this season, maybe at #3 Stanford (I think Standford...I know they play the number three ranked team out in California soon).
  19. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I caught it. Wasn't the ball in Baylor's hands when the shock clock expired, meaning its not a violation?
  20. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All the men's basketball analysts on ESPN seemed to think it should have been a shot clock violation. I'm not sure if there's any video online to show it one way or another.
  21. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It should have been a shot clock violation, the clock stopped, and the ball inbounded. If Baylor's coach hadn't used two timeouts in a row on one inbound at the end it wouldn't have mattered.
  22. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, all of the men's basketball analysts say it should have been a shot clock violation. Personally, I'm not so sure, but I have seen calls in the same scenario go the other way easily. From what I recall, the ball was in the air and on the way down as the shot clock expired. It lands in Baylor's hands at that point, but is it arguable that at the end of the buzzer Baylor had possession, so there's just a change of possession? Certainly. Is it arguable that the shot was an air ball and at the buzzer's start and nearly at its end, hadn't touched rim and wasn't in anyone's possession? Certainly. I just think it sucks that such a great game had to come down to such a scenario. Again, stuff like this happens both ways all the time, just not at such a critical juncture.

I like what Coach Mulkey said after the game, though. "I learned I have a talented basketball team, and that you all need to keep writing about them." lol... they seriously scared the hell out of UConn, that's for sure. :p
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    You're just going to ignore my post in here, huh?

I see how it is :p
  24. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    WTH?! R...J posted twice now!!

I was just baiting you into posting here again. [face_whistling]
  25. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh]

Whether the refs got it right or not, Baylor still had a shot to win the game and didn't. I think that'll give 'em some extra motivation if they meet again in March.