"this" = +1

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FlareStorm, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    There was a rule a while ago against "+1" posts, I can't find it but I am sure BF2K+1 will because he is awesome.

We've evolved from that to quoting and saying "this." That's the same thing.

I find it annoying, and there was a reason we did the "+1" rule...because its annoying. Anyone agree with me?

And on the topic of useless posts. Somewhere it says "don't make a post that is just a link," yet we get a heck of lot of posts that are just YouTube links.

Before we get the mods in on that, does anyone actually click on those? I don't.

Anyways, see you in a month as I am now banned for writing this.

2. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    They're not really the same. +1 is just spam to up one's post count, "This" is usually the same as "QFT", a way to express agreement with another poster.
  3. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Read what you just said and get back to me
  4. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Expressing agreement is not pure spam. +1 is pure spam.

"This", "QFT", etc. may not be the most thought provoking posts around here, but neither are they pure spam. No reason for these to be banned.
  5. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    A response that is "+1" is THE SAME as "This" or a quoting a user without any other content.

Not sure where you got "banned" from but I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth.

Back off for a few and let regular users chime in.
  6. Salty Force Ghost

star 5
    +1 always struck me as saying "this thread/post sucks, but I'm upping my post count anyway"

"this" is just a shorthand way of saying you agree with who you're quoting.

Does it look the same? Sure
    Does is really add anything to the thread? Depends
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    "banned", i.e., the type of post is banned ("+1" is banned in that sense). Not that it would be an automatic ban for the user any time it was posted.

And simple agreement can (though admittedly not always) add to a discussion through lending weight to one side.
  8. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    "+1" means "I agree but I am too lazy to post "I agree" and am too lazy/stupid to support my argument."

You are a '98er?

Edit: RJ...
  9. Salty Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes I'm a 98'er. Your point?

I'm not sure where you got +1 means that you agree with a post but are too lazy or stupid to support that argument. I've never seen it used that way.
  10. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    This.

You guys really don't get it? Meh, I'll wait for some other input.
  11. jedichef1 Force Ghost

star 5
    So you don't like "this", so in essence "QFT" should also be on the spam list?
  12. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    +1

How are either different from "+1" which has previously disallowed?

Take the inevitable reply, which will be:

this

How is that not spam?

13. jedichef1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I have not said I don't agree with you, I just asked you to clarify a point, which was do you class "QFT" in the same bracket...

Personally, I think there is a time and place for "QFT" but I also think that it is used far to often by people who have no real input to make, but see it as a way to "up" their post count, and get noticed...
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    "+1" is not the same as "this" or "QFT". While all of them are definitely light on content, "+1" just says I want to up my post count. The other two at least offer some agreement with the post being quoted.
  15. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I always understood +1 as "Your post sucks but I'm upping my post count," rather than agreement.
  16. GIMER Manager Emeritus

star 6
    +1 means kind of the same thing as "TL,DR", not the same thing as "QFT" or "this".
    It means "why did you bother posting this crap"

It is a statement of disapproval which is the opposite of the others which mean approval.
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Flare let me take this opportunity to say that your everything is wrong and the mods are rubbish etc, etc... but I'm really great schtick has just jumped the shark.

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with the fad for making Comms threads about issues that one isn't actually concerned about, or changes that one doesn't actually think need to be made? And what's the deal with them staying open for the inevitable pointless conversation to follow as the thread authors enjoy watching the Comms regulars shuttle about uncertain if they should engage with the thread or simply lark about in it?
  18. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    First of all the rule was made like 5 or 6 years ago so I'm not gonna bother trying to find the thread. :p

Secondly, I know exactly what Flare is talking about. I've seen on quite a few forums that "+1" does actually mean that the user agrees with whatever they're quoting.

Urban Dictionary defintion

+1

1.) A post in a forum/message board that indicates the person agrees with a previous or quoted reply to a thread.

2.) Shorthand for "My thoughts exactly" or "me too"

However, on this forum it has been what other people have been talking about in that it's just a way to up your post count. But I think generally across the interweb it means the former.
  19. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    IMHO, posting "This." or "QFT" immediately after quoting a post is the exact same thing as saying "I agree with [insert person/group here] on this issue." As others have said, while not the most thought-provoking of posts, this is not spam. It is not spam because at least the user is conveying their opinion on the topic.

Now, having said that, if a user posted this over and over in multiple threads, obviously that would be considered spam.

Edit: And I think at least on this site, there's a key difference between simply posting "+1" and quoting a post and then adding "+1". The former is mostly considered spam or conveying one's disapproval of the thread, though I can see where the latter may be considered the same thing as "this" or "QFT".
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    BF2k1:

Note that Urban dictionary also has this definition:

6. +1 is used on forums by spammers who want to raise their postcount by 1.

:p

It may vary elsewhere, but +1 here has generally followed this definition, as you mentioned.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
  22. jedichef1 Force Ghost

star 5
    If this was a response to my reply, I was not trying to make out that +1 was the same, I was trying to point out that QFT and "this" were essentially the same in my eyes.

Well basically I was saying what Grimby said later.

Edit: Wrong quote, its early.
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It was in reply to FlareStorm.
  24. jedichef1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool, just making sure I was making sense 8-}
  25. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    I believe +1 has always basically meant that the poster doesn't really care about the discussion one way or the other they are just posting to add to post count, hence the "+1". One extra post to add to the count.

On the the hand, "this" and "QFT" can often be used not only to signify agreement with a post but also to highlight a really good post which appears to have been overlooked by others in a thread. I will often see a really good point which is ignored by others and so I will quote that post and add "this" or "QFT" to hopefully highlight it, just in case it was missed. Particularly when threads go more than one page.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.