[This Again] Can we get rid of the WT* rule yet? - RULE CHANGED

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    So last we left it we had established that:

1) The use of "f" is allowed at rebelscum.
    2) Phil Wise didn't really care about the abbreviation
    3) Josh Griffen didn't really care about or have any impact on the rules of this site anymore

506 claimed he emailed Phil asking about getting rid of the rule and Phil never responded. I also can't imagine that any of the current mods or admins really ENJOY looking out for or enforcing the rule or explaining its absurdity to new members, so is there any reason not to send Phil an email saying "We're going to get rid of the ban on the letter f unless you have any objections?" And then when he ignores that e-mail too you can get rid of the rule.
    Are there any problems with this I'm not foreseeing?
  2. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Can you please provide some reference links to all these claims?
  3. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    The language policy for the rebelscum forums can be found here:

That covers points 1 and 2. I also have a PM from a rebelscum admin confirming that the uncensored version of WT* is allowed on those boards but I'll have to remember my password and get his permission to post it here.

For the third point I'd need to search through old PMs and IM logs and get permission from 506 to copy the content of them, and I don't particularly foresee that happening. The rest of the post really could stand on the first two points.
  4. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Then all your reasoning is based on PMs and IM chats, not discussions that have actually taken place in Comms or elsewhere on the boards. That should be noted.

It should also be noted that whether or not the owners care about our rules anymore, they had a hand in adopting them.
  5. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
  6. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
  7. Master_Jacen Force Ghost

star 6
    so why is this:

not a viable option?
  8. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Because that's like sending an email stating: "We're going to shut down the forums and move to Facebook unless you have any objections?"
  9. Master_Jacen Force Ghost

star 6
    it's literally nothing like that.
  10. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
  11. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So, there's no difference between asking for a small rule change and asking to move the boards to a different site?
  12. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    Liter**** non*.
  13. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    I guess the mods are okay with the status quo on the wt* rule. It won't kill anyone to email Wise and ask for permission on changing the rule.
  14. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    My point is that MS has never come out and said we wanted the rule changed. And until we actually decide on that officially, emailing Wise is not the answer.

And Rogue, unless you have something worthwhile to contribute to this discussion, let this be your warning to stop.
  15. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    To be honest, it did not seem like that was your point at all. But, if you want to make that your point, is MS opposed to this? If so, why?
  16. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    I don't think MS is necessarily opposed to this, I just don't want people thinking the answer is as simple as emailing Wise and telling him what we're going to do. He has a say in what happens around here, just as he's had in the past when MS has contacted him to clarify forum rules. But despite ASO's claims, the last time we discussed this issue in MS, we weren't simply waiting for Wise's blessing and/or counting on the fact that nobody cares about this forum anymore.
  17. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    Alright nevermind then. It's not worth my time to give you a crash course in identifying and interpreting satire.

wt* rule is silly.
  18. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So, what you are trying to say is that you don't feel like you should e-mail Wise about this because you don't think MS is necessarily opposed to this? I am having trouble seeing what the issue is here. Perhaps you could tell me what exactly you see as the issue with changing this rule? What do you feel needs to be done before you would be willing to send out that e-mail?
  19. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    MS first needs to officially decide that they WANT to change the rule. Like I said, that hasn't happened yet.

Perhaps you have time to read up on what is and isn't appropriate to be posting in Comms.
  20. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
    Could you set such a debate into motion, good sir?
  21. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Why don't you start that discussion in MS then come back and then tell us exactly why we can't see about getting that rule changed?
  22. GIMER Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Has something changed about the reason the rules were put in place?
    That would be a good starting place.

"I don't like it" typically isn't a solid argument for change.
  23. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
  24. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Why does anyone care? Though no one should get banned for violating the rule (has anyone been banned for it recently or ever?), I don't see the big deal over being required to star it out. Everyone who hasn't been hit in the head with a clothes iron knows what the asterisk stands for, but that could be applied to all the profanity rules here. And since I hated ****ing junior high, I rather like the profanity rules.
  25. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What was the reason the rule was initially put in place?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.