main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[This Again] Can we get rid of the WT* rule yet? - RULE CHANGED

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You'd probably have to ask Joshua Griffin. I believe he's the one who put it in place, though I could be wrong. (Dingo probably knows for sure.)

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Vertical was the one who permbanned PreacherBoy and even after he said it was okay to unban him during the 10 year celebration the current administration decided not to. So let's not pretend that the people who originally implement rules have any say on how they get repealed.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Except those that actually OWN the site.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Do the owners respond to questions, ever?

5. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
  6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    So if you were to ask, they would respond.

EDIT: Ask re: their stance. Not necessarily ask to get rid of the rule.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually I am fairly sure that when this came up last time with 506 as Head Admin, the MS was pretty much decided to ask Wise to change the rule.

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    If that's the case, then our MS discussion should be fairly short.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I actually like the wt* rule. It's an odd quirk that gives the boards some character.

And, yes, I'm being 100% serious. Sometimes tradition, even really, really, really stupid tradition, is fun to have around.

Plus, if give us something to discuss a thousand times.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Inty, I like you around here/value our discussions over the Cavs & Lakers and what you did in modding The Arena..................................but that post is ridiculous. It's a rule that's silly, and should have gone away in the days before I had a beard.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions! :cool:

11. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    By these rules this t-shirt is illegal which can be bought online and I have seen worn in public numerous times. I of course censored it so as not to violate the rules.

[image=http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1656/wtfrakedit.jpg]

In all seriousness this acronym is used in a variety of places both online and in life outside the internet. I don't seen a reason why the rule is something that should really be worried about; at this point WT* has become quite the common internet slang term. In fact its not unheard of for me to hear it at work during the week either. However, if it makes people feel better we could just decide that F = Frak from now on. ;)

12. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    is it really more of an effort to put an * (asterisk) rather than the letter F?

13. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the rule be changed to save time when typing messages.

14. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    then why?

because it's embarrasing?

or because it's plain stupid you can't say the capital letter F in an abbreviation, when it might not mean the F-word at all, but simply "frack" or something else less--graphic?

I don't see the issue whether it's allowed or not to be honest.

15. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    then why is the issue important enough for you to weigh in on?

16. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    because my opinion is:

it's a non issue

you might aswell just put a * instead of typing a whole post on it. ;)

hense why I posted my opinion in a forum aptly named "comms".

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Correct.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I'd like to add another voice alongside Inty's that I like the asterisk rule. Keep some backbone, my fair forums ...

19. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    The rule was started because these boards are supposed to be set below a PG-13 level.
    At that level, swearing isn't allowed. I remember the rule of thumb before being that if it wasn't said in the 6 movies, then it wasn't allowed.

It's common sense people.
    Don't swear. It's not necessary.
    And it is one of the things that sets us apart from other boards - not having to weed through kids trying to one-up each other with their language. :rolleyes:

Since the intended level of the board hasn't changed, what is the reason the rule needs to be changed again?

20. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    To clarify on what GIMER said (though most of you reading this probably are already aware), the boards are supposed to be at a PG level. I know "below PG-13" amounts to the same, but its easier to misread ;)

Our discussion is currently ongoing, with people speaking up on both sides. We'll let you know when we've reached a decision. :)

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Swearing is allowed. Ass. See? Be accurate in your discussion or you ruin your own point. But to my point in other discussions, no one is advocating allowing more swearing. You are overstating this in an effort to help your cause. The abbreviation in question is NOT swearing. It's a letter. It's a substitute for swearing just like the tens of substitutes we already allow (frack, frick, etc.) You are using some sort of scare tactic to rally people to your side by framing this as a discussion of swearing. It's not swearing and no one is saying that we should allow swearing.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Just throwing this out there, I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way - but words like "frack" and whatnot have always seemed a lot worse than the starred out "f". But that might just be me.

23. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    No scare tactics here. Just stating the facts as I see them.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree. This is why some of us find this rule to be random.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You are not stating facts. You are stating your opinion. That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.