main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[This Again] Can we get rid of the WT* rule yet? - RULE CHANGED

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh, the fun times that were had when this rule came to be.

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/15238822/p1

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Even though I'd have no problem with regaining our lost f's, I don't think frack is worse than the f. It's becasue frack doesn't mean anything really. f... even though it's a clever code and all that, does.

3. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    I agree with Everton about frack

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The point of saying frack is that it sounds like **** when said out loud, and it's just an alternative to saying ****, just like f. Saying "wt*" doesn't even sound like ****. Frack sounds like ****. Maybe not to those who've been saying it forever, but for someone like me who had never grown up saying/hearing it, it's pretty bad and in the very least, hypocritical towards the rules.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No it doesn't. Yes it is. No it doesn't. No it doesn't. Not it's not.

6. Carlo_Ancelotti

Carlo_Ancelotti Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2009
    You're wrong, Everton. Frack, as well as frick, frig, and freak, all sound exactly the same as ****.

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't really think it's that big of a deal, one way or another. MS should discuss it, because some users (and mods) have issues with it, whether the reasons for those issues are legitimate or not...it's not a big deal either way.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Sorry, but I find it unacceptable that you have a different opinion to me. I'm going to have to ask you to stop it.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    On this board we celebrate immolation, severing of limbs, human sacrifices, gun violence, and sex slaves. But if you say that four letter word, you're going to be banned because it represents vulgarity and hostility.

Gotta love the family friendly system.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Actually in this case you may get banned for using a letter that represents a four letter word.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Well said.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions! :cool:

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Similar things could be said about many children's TV shows and movies, but you don't see four letter words spoken in those either.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Family friendly" is the justification of the owners (or is it? I'm not sure who coined that term here), but in practice the profanity rules are mostly about keeping the JC above the dregs of the internet (YouTube comments). Although I don't care where the WT* thing goes, no way should the current rules on language should be rescinded. I like our anti-moron measures.

Also, I'm pretty sure that people-- in the JCC, at least-- don't get banned for the odd slip-up or copying-and-pasting an article with "R-rated" language. It's mostly trolls who get banned for it and other things.

14. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Well in all fairness frak really picked up in 2003 when it got used on BSG. Basically it was a way to have an expletive that wouldn't have to be censored. Everyone knew what it was supposed to be; just like the F in WT*.

All my point really was is that if the expression WT* can be seen on primetime TV, t-shirts, and is regularly said, I don't understand the need to censor. If its just because a poster can infer the meaning of the F, that can't that still be done with the expression WT*? After all, how many other 3 letter expressions start with WT? But hey thats just my take on the issue.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, but we're talking about an acronym here, one that I've seen countless times in the media (including on MSNBC). It's a rule that's been around for so long, that it's outlived it's purpose/usefulness. If it were changed now, would there really be that much harm? For example, people worried that with the return of the stars, people would spam/up their post count unnecessarily to get a bigger star. That hasn't happened. A repeal of the WT* rule would be anti-climatic.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Most language bans are due to an accumulation of notes and edits, yes. That's not exactly a secret.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I don't like the rule either but saying that it's used on TV, movies, whatever isn't really a good argument. The JC doesn't go by the rules of the media or other entertainment, it goes by its own. However, if you can make a relevant comparison, like ASO did right in her opening post by mentioning Rebelscum since it is also owned by Wise, then it becomes valid.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    True, true. The fact that it can be used at Rebelscum, but not here, is astoundingly ridiculous.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    THAT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Indeed it is.... [image=http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2007/04/flaming-chicken.jpg] Or are we only allowed to talk about burning humans? I always forget if the chickens are off limits.

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I have been debating for two days about whether I should share my opinion since it was essentially a non-answer (I really didn't see the issue either way) but I find myself agreeing with Even. I am not really opposed to the rule itself, nor would I raise a fuss about it, but if its a contributing factor to getting rid of the trolly, firster, You Tube style comment that you usually see else where on the internet, I have to say I support the rule. Frankly its one of my favorite things about this site, that we have so successfully weeded out the riff-raff of the internet outside the occasional troll and the odd joke. If the rule helps scare away or discourage similar activity I would personally prefer it remain.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    On a random note, for the argument of keeping the rule (although I personally find it to be silly when you get right down to it) - some of my happiest moments while modding were when I would catch an unedited "wt*", thinking "HAHA! Sucker." It was rather akin to the joy of kicking a small child.

23. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It's simply a decision made by the owners, not MS. Seems appropriate to quickly shoot off an email to Philip to gather his opinion.

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. Given that it's allowed on Rebelscum, he may not even be aware that the rule is in place. I will tell you that if you preface it with "Josh made this rule...", you might get a "leave it then" out of respect, if nothing else. Basically, it's one of those things that has always been around, but you'd like to see about changing it.

As far as my own opinion, I always felt some of the limitations or decisions we would would get from one of our former head admins about things like the acronyms was a sometimes silly, "slippery slope". For the record, I'm not speaking of Josh. ;)

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    We should just say "Can we start allowing WT* like they do on rebelscum?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.