main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

This deal...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Seagoat, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I just discovered something rather unfortunate, in a sense.

I was on Youtube, searching for some Star Wars music, though I was surprised I was unable to find Anakin's Theme from TPM. I listened to it all the time just like a month ago. I did some deeper digging and... it looks like the video has been taken down by about 3 or 4 different companies due to copyright grounds.

How could this have happened? The music has been up there undisturbed for years, and now it's gone! Might this have something to do with the Disney acquisition? I know that Disney is typically more strict regarding fandom with its assets and subsidiaries, and it appears this is no coincidence. Your thoughts?

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Stuff gets taken off YouTube for copyright reasons all the time - I had a silly video on there for years that was removed, only for it to suddenly come back a few months later (it did clearly violate copyrights, no arguments there at all).

I wouldn't jump to conclusions unless it's happening on all SW content. I went nuts a few months ago when a couple of SW drafts disappeared from the Jedi Bendu Script Site - after angrily posting here, and contacting the admin of the site to find out if they'd received some sort of vicious C&D from Disney, I realised that there was a second page that hadn't been there previously, that's where the missing ones were.:oops:

That said, if Disney wants to have stuff removed, that's their right. You'd want to hope that they'll leave short clips, parodies and fan films alone, but you can't blame them if they demand that, say, the OT deleted scenes from the Blu-Rays be taken down immediately.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and DarthBoba like this.
  3. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I remember that all six movies were on youtube in their entirety. I'll bet that's gone now.

4. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    You mean each movie was in its own video? I've never seen that, but I did once see a video where all six movies were playing at once. It was hysterical, but sadly it was removed in about a week

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Entire films get posted quite often - for SW, each film was in about 13 parts, IIRC. One set was the OOT from VHS, too - very handy for checking changes and so on.

Seriously, though, can you blame LFL, Fox or Disney for demanding that they be taken down?

I remember that one with all six playing at once, had to delete a thread in Saga linking to it. Rules are rules.

DarthBoba likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It's Youtube

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Considering the amount of Avengers parodies and other fan videos on youtube, i doubt that Disney's aquisition of Star Wars will lead to a crack-down. That's not even mentioning the way you can find any Disney animated film song in full, you'd think if they were into prosecuting these things those would be the first they'd go after.

DarthBoba likes this.
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    You have no idea how much I'd love to see that!!!

Andy Wylde and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The only disappointment was that ROTJ was the 2004 version instead of the 2011 version like all the rest :/

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.