main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit This facility is crude, but it should be adequate- Official Technology Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I guess Sienar is like Toyoda.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  2. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Is their any mention of health-monitoring clothing in Legends or canon?

3. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I can’t tell if Leia’s hospital gown in Episode 8 was connected to sensors. Does any info from The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary talk about Leia in hospice?

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Towani family in the Ewok films wore "life monitor" bracelets that let each member of the family know that the others were still alive. That's... kind of a health monitor, I guess.

Iron_lord and DarthJaceus like this.
  5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    A little bit. Leia's entry mentions the private medical suite she was placed in and pictures an MD-15C medical droid, an emergency life-support unit with lockable power switch, and a repulsor gurney with life-signs monitoring system. Finn's entry describes the flexpoly bacta suit and its retaining collar lined by status sensors with wireless telemetry.

So, this probably isn't quite what you're looking for, but maybe you'll find it interesting anyway: the Veridicator from Legends, a piece of wearable technology that reminds me of a Fitbit wristband, except it collects and analyzes data from a being targeted by the wearer and not from the wearer themself... aaand is used as a lie detector / surveillance device. But hey, it's easy to imagine a similar design that with user permission measures and tracks -personal- health and fitness metrics. :p

From Galladinium's Fantastic Technology:
    At first glance, the veridicator appears to be nothing more than a simple arm band with a multi-hued Falasian liquid crystal inset. Look inside, however, and you'll discover the intricate sensory package that permits this device to distinguish minute changes in a being's physiology due to stress: in short, the veridicator is a subtle and stylish lie detector!
    Simply nonchalantly point the receptor band in the subject's direction and fire away! Changes in the subject's biorhythmic patterns are signalled by a series of pulsating pressure nodes on the veridicator's underside. With one of these tastefully designed "costume pieces" you'll never have to wonder again whether your subordinate's speeder really threw that repulsor-coil in route to work. Now you'll know.

From Galaxy of Intrigue:
    Worn as an inconspicuous bracelet, the veridicator uses sophisticated sensors to monitor a target's heart rate, pupil dilation, perspiration, and other involuntary stress responses. It compares this information to its internal database, determining the emotional state of the target and indicating if he or she is lying. The veridicator then relays this information to the wearer as a series of pulses, temperature variations, or vibrations.

Iron_lord and DarthJaceus like this.
  6. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Good stuff! Thank you.

Senpezeco likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Why didn't Tarkin use this on Leia during her Dantooine lie? Or did Leia subconsciously fool the veridicator with the Force?

In canon, why didn't Tarkin just use a Bor Gullet on Leia? Or can Force users resist that too?

And if Leia did indeed withstand Bor Gullets and veridicators, shouldn't that have indicated she was a strong Force user and she be tortured into being an Inquisitor? Why did Vader go along with her termination?

8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Bor Gullet's are probably rare and hard to find and you can't always trust Galladinium's Fantastic Technology. It has a LOT of stuff that should appear in SW but doesn't.

9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    And unnecessary when you have interrogator droids and mind probes at your disposal.

DarthJaceus and Yunzabit like this.
  10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Was their ever a depictions in Legends or canon of droids or automation running or contributing to the stock market?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  11. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Apparently a GO-TO droid tried to take over the Coruscant Financial Exchange, whatever that is. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/G0-T0_infrastructure_planning_system

That's probably the closest we'll get. Other than Boba Fett using it in LOTF, I don't think the stock market comes up much in Star Wars.

12. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Oh yes. I forgot about the GO-TO. Thanks!!!

13. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Is their ever any mention in Legends or Canon of a Space Junk/Debris removal system? We are currently trying to do that on Earth.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Young Jedi Knights series, we find that Coruscant still has plenty of space debris - and Han encourages the kids to shoot it with the Falcon's cannons, destroying it, as part of helping the debris be cleaned up.

15. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Interesting. Kinda lazy that Coruscant doesn't have some sort of system to do that like the sanitation department on Earth.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They probably do have a cleanup crew. But it's a big job, that will take generations to complete. In Jedi Search, Wedge had spent four months helping the cleanup crew - which hauled some wreckage objects into higher orbits, took salvagable ships away to be repaired, and destroyed the most hazardous objects.

Senpezeco and DarthJaceus like this.
  17. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah I think I recall that. Thanks!!!

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    The debris is naturally cleaned up by the vacuum of space -wocka wocka!-

I imagine tractor beams could be used to collect debris. In the game Jedi Starfighter, during the Battle of Nod Kartha, Trade Federation tugs and Mere tugs compete to salvage pieces of a wrecked Orbital Defense Cannon using tractor beams.

19. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Any mention of domotics or smart home technologies?

20. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Would a flash drive or a thumb drive be out of place in Star Wars?

21. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Memory rods as described in Leia, Princess of Alderaan sound pretty similar in shape and purpose -- "a specialized scanner/mass-memory storage device, cylindrical and gold" and handheld in size.

Other pieces of portable data storage technology in Star Wars (e.g. datacards and holodiscs) are easily recognizable as and analogous to pieces of Earth technology (floppy disks and CDs/DVDs, respectively), so items/designs that closely resemble thumb drives wouldn't seem out of place at all to me.

(Actually, when I was little, I thought Imperial code cylinders were combination clicky-pens and thumb drives. :p)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think dataspikes fill a smilar roll

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    DarthJaceus, Senpezeco and JediBatman like this.
  23. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Wow. I can’t believe I forgot all about those.

24. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Not only do thumb drives exist in Star Wars, they are actually called "thumb drives." We see them in use in the Servants of the Empire series.

DarthJaceus and Yunzabit like this.
  25. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I just searched the Wook for "thumb" and found an article for thumb-wrestling. I really shouldn't be surprised that a one-time mention of the smallest anything has its own Wook entry but that made me laugh.

I like this thread. I'm having fun rereading my old RPG sourcebooks, technical manuals, and Essential Guides trying to find answers to questions.