main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST This (insert one thing) would have changed everything about TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Hater, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Darth Hater

Darth Hater Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2016
    Whether you loved or hated the movie, what one thing would have changed your impressions of it?

For me, as soon as it started with the same "Empire chasing Rebels" tone of ESB it was going down hill and quickly going below sea level. If Rey would have joined forces with Ren after the Snoke killing scene it would have infinitely improved the movie and I might enjoy it. Even better: have Rey became the dominating evil force and it would be such a surprise, unexpected and interesting twist I might not continue to assert she's a Mary Sue. Then her abandonment on Jakuu could have been by Luke who felt the evil in her and didn't want to kill her. She could have been Jedi mind cleaned ala Knights of the Old Republic 2 and at least would explain her talents without remembered training.

But no, instead of taking a new Earth history story and telling it in the setting of a GFFA, we get another telling of the OT with some different stage curtains and more expensive popcorn. I paid for steak, I at least want a cheeseburger.

2. wilyen

wilyen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Finn having a well written arc

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  3. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Rey being Luke's daughter.

LordDallos likes this.
  4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    If Luke had a different reaction to his family’s lightsaber. (maybe he’d ask Rey who she was, where she got it, etc) It would’ve set a better tone for the film and got Luke’s character off on a better foot, I think:

cut-of-space likes this.
  5. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    Had they nailed Luke's characterization, I know I would have been far more forgiving of the issues I found with this movie. Star Wars movies always have flaws, but it was a flaw that I find impossible to over look.

Also, less focus on Kylo and more on Rey. She is the lead, but really didn't feel like it. The climax was about Kylo far more then it was about her. Her development was lacking and her motivations were mostly missing or not strong enough.

6. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    There are so many things....but I'll give a simple one that would not require many reshoots at all. At the end of the film, have Luke realize he needs to help(maybe while talking to Yoda), but he realizes he cannot make it to Crait in time(he has a vision of everyone dying if he doesn't help). We then get the scene of him choosing to become a force ghost in order to help, and then cut to him arriving on Crait. Luke doesn't use "Force Projection;" instead he becomes a force ghost and sacrifices his life so he can travel there quickly to help.

The final scene in this context makes more sense and is much more satisfying. Also don't have Luke "give up" on Kylo before the battle. Give Luke a better action scene at the end, and you've just changed the whole context of the movie in a good way.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It would have been cooler and I believe more effective to make the set-up for Crait be a deteriorating conventional battle with a Resistance-lead Republic Remnant that lasts a long time against initially seemingly equal First Order fleet before the FO demonstrates competence and skill by breaking them, driving them to the surface, and officially ending the Republic as a political force, thus creating a better scenario for the Rebellion's rebirth being needed. It would also allow for more interesting stuff, like seeing the Supremacy deploy or repair Star Destroyers outside the battle, or for Finn to do something more engaging.

Set-up:
    - The Resistance escapes the early fight with the First Order, while still being devastated, by dispersing after the Dreadnaught fight, which now also includes a moment where the depleted fighter screen justifies Kylo and co. destroying the bridge and nearly killing Leia.
    -Ackbar and Holdo step up afterwards, with Holdo being portrayed more evenly, without the dumb "believe in the hope I won't give you" idea, and instead just rightfully calls out Poe for getting most of their pilots killed. Ackbar, meanwhile, shanghais Finn into acting as a First Order guide for Rose and BB8, to infiltrate and steal intelligence from the First Order so they can better counterattack, even though Finn still largely cares about Rey alone.
    -Kylo and Hux are assigned a mission of destroying the rallying Republic forces around Crait, which now sits at a key hyperspace point and ha as huge concentration of Starfighters and light capital ships. Hux notes they'll be outnumbered in terms of ship count, but not tonnage, while Kylo is distracted by training with Snoke.
    -Finn and Rose go to Canto Bight, but explicitly to recruit DJ, who is now a black marketeer in First Order space, and thus their key to getting what they need. They have to free DJ from local security before newly arrived First Order teams lead by Phasma pick him up...alongside a shipment of children to be made Stormtroopers. Finn first grows beyond his old ways by going out of his ways to free the kids, getting mocked by DJ.
    -The battle of Crait begins, with the initial exchange seeming to favor the Republic forces and damaging numerous Star Destroyers, but then Hux and co. successfully trick Poe into leading the Starfighters into another trap (though he figures it out half way through and saves half the force), before taking out most of the capital ships, leaving only the damaged Raddus and a small screen of fighters covering for escape pods and transports to reach the surface. Only then do they call in the Supremacy, which deploys the reinforcing Star destroyers and begins repairing others.
    -Finn, Rose, and DJ have infiltrated the Supremacy, and manage to begin downloading information, but Finn is seen by old Stromtroopers he served with, and has to distract them, revealing the First Order has tried to hide his defection to prevent the idea from getting...contagious. Rose meanwhile, begins to suspect DJ, and is seen doing *something* on the side.
    -Rey arrives during the continued decimation of the Republic fleet, when it clearly seems won by the First Order. Meanwhile, DJ sells out Finn and Rose, and Phasma arrests both them and the Stormtroopers they were with. At the exact same time that Rey is being setup for Ren to kill her by Snoke, Hux and Phasma intend to nip anymore potential mutinies in the bud by publicly executing all their prisoners, and begin to do so.
    -Rose's *something* turns out to be a series of overloads that cause a series of explosions in the hangar, in the engines, and other areas. Finn and Rose manage to free themselves, and the other captured Stormtroopers, and a chaotic firefight breaks out as some (though not all) of the other captured Stormtroopers fight alongside Finn, though only out of desperation, with some suggestion one of them wants to fight Finn, but gets killed by Phasma and her spear.
    -We start cutting between three action scenes, as Ackbar aboard the Raddus realizes that the Supremacy's shield has been lowered and prepares to ram it at hyper speed (which will work with the shields down but not on), Finn and Phasma duke it out, and Ren and Rey finish off the guards and have their tug-o-war.
    -Rey escapes the throne room when the Raddus rams the ship, and goes to pick up Finn and Rose using her powers. Finn, leaves but only after one post-battle confrontation with a wounded Stormtrooper who lets him go when he sees Finn tending to one of his wounded ex-comrades. As they leave the wounded Supremacy, though, Hux brings in his Star Destroyers and bombards the planet, killing all but those who get to the old a Rebel base.
    -Rest of the film carries on.

Hypatia likes this.
  8. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I really loved the movie. The only bit I'm no fan of is the one with Leia in outspace. I believe it would have been better to cut out the scene during the explosion, some black screen for a few seconds and then the image of her on the medical bed being transported to the infirmary.

9. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    director rian johnson.

10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Actual world building. The disgusting lack of world building in a SW movie is standing out to me more and more as RJ’s biggest SW sin. TFA wasn’t great in this regard, but it wasn’t so freaking terrible. We had Vegas with aliens and... snail chase involving ships we already knew. And Crait.

Crait had so much potential, but it was never used properly. We didn’t get to know the red caves as I hoped. They were just a backdrop for a quick irrelevant chase with the falcon. Even the battle of Crait ended up being a big tease so we never got to know any of Crait besides that one flat stretch in front of the wall. The Resistance rode toward the walkers in a suicide run, then aborted, then Luke showed up. The end. The most interesting Crait visuals by far were in the trailers, other than the Luke/Kylo showdown, but that wasn’t about world building. In contrast to Hoth, which it was clearly cribbed from and felt so real and lived in, it was just blah.

lookameatbag and Blastaar like this.
  11. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I don't know if it would have changed everything, but i'd have liked at least a throwaway line implying that Snoke had some kind of history. No more than they did with the Emperor in the OT.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  12. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I agree, with OP. I feel like Rey should have turned dark. That would have given a great twist, seeing as she really hasn't done any growth as a character really in the last two films. Had she taken Kylo's hand, man that would be badass. But that would mean Luke staying alive that's 100 percent sure. But with Luke going, they need to have someone fight Ren.

Also as far as throwing of the lightsaber, it was so unexpected but funny. Though it would have been nice to get some dialogue before having him throw the saber.

13. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015

yes!! and if i can add to that, give finn a more substantial arc instead of repeating the one he had in tfa.

14. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    Not just TLJ, but the ST as a whole....I would've changed the following.....

If I was writing the ST I would've seriously made Kylo such a baddie that his role effectively was to kill off every single remaining OT character personally. Like Disneys own emissary. The one preaching "kill the past, let it all end" is the one who targeted that whole OT background because growing up that OT backdrop was constantly shoved down his throat. Han, Luke, Leia, Ackbar, even the droids and Wookie. Like a serial killer.

Darth Hater and Ahsoka Blaster like this.
  15. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    A beating heart and a love for Star Wars.

16. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    An explanation about how Snoke got to Ben in the first place. It's too important to stay a mystery. There won't be any prequels to explain this nor who Snoke is. Important story elements like this should not be left to other media. Watching Eps 1-8 will feel very odd as if an episode was skipped. Maybe it will be explained in IX but I'm doubtful.

Ren Kylo likes this.
  17. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Give Rey a character arc that explains why she is one of the most impressive force users in the history of the films and a reason to believe she can command a lightsaber and the force the way that she does.

18. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    There's a lot of things I'm willing to ignore in franchises I love. I'm willing to fanwank all sorts of plot holes as long as they basically get the characters right and don't sabotage one character for the sake of another. So if we had seen Ben Solo actually start the fight with Luke and defeat him, that would have solved a lot of my problems. Then Kylo would clearly be seen as the villain and many would understand why Luke didn't try to face him again: Kylo, or even Snoke, are too powerful. Add on to this that Luke should have been seriously injured, and this would be part of the reason he flees to Ahch-To -- to heal himself on a Force strong planet. So he doesn't cut himself off from the Force, but his connection to the Force is weak because of his injury. Ultimately, Rey would help Luke to realize that his physical injury isn't the problem, but his faith in himself was shaken by his defeat by Kylo and Snoke. This would make me love the movie instead of hate certain parts.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Some of it's fans.

yanote likes this.
  20. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I would change the way it handles the bad guys: the Evil Ones in GFFA are not comic relief, they are not incompetent laughable idiots. This alone turned the whole movie into a parody of itself.

Hypatia and Darth Hater like this.
  21. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I would change the nature of Luke's exile to something more positive - i.e. - he needed to retreat after the temple massacre to mourn but then re-discover his purpose. In doing so, his learnings shouldn't have been that 'the Jedi must end', but that he has discovered a way of balancing the force inside of people, potentially ending the possessive nature of the dark side. He could've passed that knowledge on to Rey so she could build the power to take down Snoke and Kylo - giving Disney the overpowered Jedi they want, while still preserving Luke Skywalker's legacy. It would also be more interesting because it advances the force.

22. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    This.

Blastaar likes this.
  23. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    *downhill (FIFY)

Well, the movie had to end. So, I guess we can’t change that.

24. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015

that would've been perfect. with that i possibly wouldn't have minded his brief thought of killing ben because at least he would be doing something during those six years to sort of make up for it. and it would've allowed for a stronger relationship between luke and rey rather than him trying to shoo her away half the time. advancing the force in the way you describe would also set the foundation for a new type of jedi order to rise.

xezene and JDN21 like this.
  25. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think people would be a lot happier if Luke survived the film

cut-of-space likes this.