main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "This is a rebellion isn't it? I rebel." - The Official Rebel Alliance Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Aug 14, 2016.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Official Rebel Alliance Discussion Thread

[​IMG]

I've been toying with the idea of a thread like this for awhile, ever since the reboot of the EU and the establishment of the new canon. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on this a few years back, as we've now got a plethora of canon sources that had shed light on the Alliance to Restore the Republic, from both the earliest years of independent rebel cells to the formal, organized fighting force that was the eventual Alliance. The Story Group has done a fantastic job so far in both using some familiar elements from the old EU and in going in new, fun, and creative directions in others. The majority of canon sources used for this thread and the basis for the discussions must be canon, including but not limited to the following works:
    • The Original Trilogy
    • The Prequel Trilogy
    • Rogue One
    • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    • Star Wars: Rebels
    • Before the Awakening book series
    • Battlefront: Twilight Company
    • Marvel's Star Wars ongoing series
    • Marvel's Darth Vader
    • Marvel's Princess Leia
    • Marvel's Shattered Empire series
    • Lost Stars
    • Aftermath
    • Life Debt
    The goal of this thread is to piece together the canon history of the Rebel Alliance, from it's earliest stages at the end of the Clone Wars up through the formal unification of the major rebel cells into the formalized Alliance to Restore the Republic. Thanks to the Rebels TV series and the upcoming cinematic event that is Rogue One, we'll be learning much more about the Alliance in the coming months. My hope is that this thread will generation discussions about the direction it has taken in the NEU, provide a consolidated place to compare and contrast the canon Rebellion to the one portrayed in Legends, and hopefully serve as a useful repository of information for all fans of the Rebel Alliance.
    While I would love the topic to expand and have a bit of a free-wheeling nature, I do want to spent time discussing at depth the following general topics:
    1. Post-Clone Wars rebel movements & the Delegation of 2000
    2. The development of early independent rebel cells, their actions, and their differences
    3. Mon Mothma & Bail Organa's drive to unify the rebel cells into a formal Alliance
    4. The founding of the Alliance to Restore the Republic
    5. The transition from ragtag fighting force to formal military resistance group
    I suspect we've got plenty to discuss on topics 1-3, with #4 being the area we'll be learning a lot about between now and the end of the year thanks to Rogue One. The fifth topic will be interesting as well, as in Rebels we're already seeing this transition, as well as many of the ships and weapons that we fan will end up identifying later on as Rebel forces.

I'm hoping that others will find this topic interesting as well.

So, let's gather up and discuss! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afterall, we rebel! ;)

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

Revyl Ren, Force Smuggler and Vthuil like this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Although their status is often held as controversial (for reasons I still don't really get), let's not forget the iOS games Star Wars: Commander and Star Wars: Uprising. :)

JediMatteus likes this.
  3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If the "I rebel" line gets cut from the film is it still canon?:p

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The history of the Rebellion is a history of infamy, treachery, and deceit. Originating from a web of ex-Separatists, professional anarchists, thieves, mercenaries, and religious zealots, the Rebellion gathered into cells which quickly metastasized in the body politic...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm glad you gage credit to the glorious and heroic Separatists who chose to keep fighting Palpatine'so tyranny elater the Close Wars.

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So, for starters, I thought it would be fun to list out the main resistance cells we're aware of post-Alliance formation. Feel free to add, these are the main ones off the top of my head:

Alderaanian Resistance
    Known Leaders: Bail Organa, Leia Organa
    Homeworld: Alderaan
    Region: Core Worlds
    Early Actions: Led political opposition in the Imperial Senate, quietly began to seek out other cells in hopes of unifying a rebellion
    Known Forces: CR90 corvettes, Hammerhead-class corvettes

Chandrilan Resistance
    Known Leaders: Mon Mothma
    Homeworld: Chandrila
    Early Actions: Led political opposition in the Imperial Senate alongside Alderaan, quietly began to seek out other cells in hopes of unifying a rebellion
    Known Forces: Unknown, there has been little mention in canon of Chandrilan contributed forces, outside of many Chandrilans serving in the Alliance military

Corellian Resistance
    Known Leaders: Miru Nadrinakar
    Homeworld: Corellia
    Early Actions: Active opposition to Imperial forces in Corellian Sector
    Known Forces: Operated starfighters, presumably operated known CEC starships and potentially provided them to other rebel cells

Garel Resistance
    Known Leaders: Statura
    Homeworld: Garel
    Region: Outer Rim
    Early Actions: Provided haven for Phoenix Rebel Cell, suffered attack & occupation by the Empire
    Known Forces: Unknown

Lothal Resistance
    Known Leaders: Formerly Ghost crew, now Ryder Azadi
    Homeworld: Lothal
    Early Actions: Home of Ghost crew, became a rallying point for rebel cells in the Outer Rim. Carried out early actions against the Empire.
    Known Forces: Unknown

Phoenix rebel cell
    Known Leaders: Jun Sato, Hera Syndulla, covert support from Alderaanian Resistance and Fulcrum
    Homeworld: Atollon
    Early Actions: At behest of Bail Organa, rescued Kanan Jarrus. Ghost crew joined Phoenix Squadron and actively worked to expand this rebel action
    Known Forces: Quasar Fire carrier, CR90 corvettes, Hammerhead-class corvettes, A-wings, prototype B-wings, captured Imperial craft

Mon Cala Resistance
    Known Leaders: Ackbar
    Homeworld: Mon Cala
    Early Actions: Unknown pre-ANH, occupied by the Empire. Eventually join with Quarren to liberate their world.
    Known Forces: Mon Cala cruisers

Onderon Resistance
    Known Leaders: Saw Gerrera
    Homeworld: Onderon
    Region: Inner Rim
    Early Actions: Started resisting Empire post-Clone Wars, considered one of the more militant resistance groups, was on the fringe of the formal Alliance
    Known Forces: Unknown, but presumably largely based on ground forces armed with Clone Wars-era weapons

Ryloth Resistance
    Known Leaders: Cham Syndulla
    Homeworld: Ryloth
    Early Actions: Waged guerilla war against Imperial occupation, worked with Phoenix rebel cell to capture Imperial carrier
    Known Forces: Unknown, seems to be limited to ground forces and basic blasters

I know there are others, which ones am I missing that are confirmed in canon?

--Adm. Nick

jSarek, Silly_Dan and La Calavera like this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What are you doing, don't tell Jello who they are!

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Joking aside, I am enjoying the exercise. I didn't know we had a named Corellian rebel, which came from Insider. I assumed the Jun Sato's Phoenix cell was originally from Garel, but I can't find a source for it. Hell, I had to even double check and see if the Mon Cala & Quarren were enslaved in the NEU.

It's funny, as much as I think I am up on the new canon, I still find surprises. Doing a bit a research and compiling it is not only fun for me, but kinda relaxing too. :p

There are other obvious ones I still need to research. The Sullustan Resistance is covered in Battlefront, but I don't have my copy handy so I can't get good research (save using the Wook, which isn't always accurate). I'm also wondering if there is a canon resistance movement on Naboo. I'm fairly positive that Abednedo will have one, but no details yet.

--Adm. Nick

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Even way back in the Bantam era, the Rebels have always been shown to be so awesome and the Empire so useless, Iv often wondered how they didn't win sooner ?

The Empire is such an under dog now you almost feel like routing for them now because of it

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Shouldn't the Phoenix cell's "homeworld" be Atollon? Its the one cell we know about so far that coalesced from a bunch of scattered components rather than truly originating in one place.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003

Good catch! I just updated it.

--Adm. Nick

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why? What's he going to do? Put them on a list?

(Points for any American who gets the obscure Brit comedy being riffed on here.)

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  13. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    just glad galen marek is no longer involved

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    AdmiralNick22 According to the canon Rebels comic "No Sympathy," there was a cell based on the planet Klonoid, but we know very little about it (beyond its location and the fact that Senator Nadea Tural of Thrad was in touch with them).*

According to another of those comics ("Vulnerable Areas"), there was a cell on Imvur, headed by Commander Ryden.**

*Cf. Star Wars Rebels Magazine 14
    **Cf. Star Wars Rebels Magazine 17

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks! This is a good reminder that for every large resistance group (Alderaan, Mon Cala, Sullust) that there are untold numbers of small groups operating in the Galaxy. Some with nothing more than a handful of blasters and a garage to call as base.

--Adm. Nick

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is exactly how WEG had it in the Star Wars Sourcebook.

jSarek and blackmyron like this.
  17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    The Imvur cell has a few MLC-3 Tanks, but they didn't really use them before Kanan showed up. The interetsing thing, however, is that the now defunct Star Wars: Galactic Defense had the Alliance use those tanks too. (Of course, the gameplay wasn't canon, but the descriptions and lore were, as pointed out here. Thanks to the very same game, we know that the canon Alliance had freerunners, ULAVs, and forest rangers .)

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    AdmiralNick22 In Moving Target Leia made contact with a Draedan resistance/pirate group on Sesid led by Aurelant. They used a submersible called the Daggadol as a mobile headquarters and promised to join the Alliance when the time came.

I'd like to see more underwater vehicles and bases used by the rebels. It is a cool concept that would work well on Rebels.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I do wonder how much of a role the Jedi might play in the Rebellion. In the OT, it seemed like it was down to just Obi-wan and Yoda, but now we've got Kanan and Ezra running around quite a lot too. Not to mention all their clashes with Inquisitors, but Rebels is still ongoing so who knows how that will eventually be reflected in later canon.

Leia's appearance on Rebels gives an idea of the time period, but still, wonder how long until the Mon Calamari join (and whether their TCW arc will be referenced). After Endor, they sure transition from ragtag group to galactic government really fast, so no idea what their actual military strength is.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ackbar at least is present for the evacuation of Yavin, immediately after ANH, in the Princess Leia comic. I could see him, and some ships, having joined before that.

I wonder if he's still Tarkin's ex-slave in the newcanon?

21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think it is cool that they have kept the very earliest foundations of the Rebellion being the events surrounding the Onderon arc. It hasn't been mentioned yet I don't believe but if they did mention at some point that other Jedi went to other planets to monitor Rebels fighting against the Separatists I think that would be a nice touch (they could have Marvel do an occasional mini about events like that).

One thing I am becoming interested in is to see if Phoenix Squadron goes and joins up with a bigger and more organized Rebellion group or if Phoenix Squadron winds up becoming the cornerstone that the Rebellion builds around from 3BBY onward.

yaxley likes this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I've been wondering if the Phoenix Cell is just one of the groups to coalesce into the Alliance or if it is THE group they coalesce around. I'm perfectly fine either way, though I kinda like the idea that the Phoenix Rebels are truly just one of thousands of such groups. It makes the Alliance feel bigger, plus it reminds us that the events near Lothal are just one part of the story!

Iron_lord

I'm pretty sure Ackbar isn't a slave in the NEU. We don't know much about the canonical Mon Cala rebel cell, but I imagine Ackbar was key in it. If they keep anything from the old EU, I hope they keep the idea of Ackbar leading a handful of Mon Cal cruisers that escape the Imperial occupation. Allows him to be active against the Empire prior to ANH and the liberation of Mon Cala.

--Adm. Nick

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Wait...this is an American history thread now

24. Silly_Dan

Silly_Dan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    If the game Star Wars: Uprising counts:

Rebel Alliance in the Anoat Sector
    Known Leaders: Tam Bastion
    Homeworld: Originally based on Anoat, displaced to Burnin Konn
    Region: Anoat Sector
    Early Actions: Not sure: had to retreat from Anoat after an Imperial biological/chemical attack rendered many of its cities uninhabitable. (That's how I remember the game's storyline going, anyway.)
    Known Forces: Once [insert PC's name here] helped form an alliance between the Rebels, the Trade Spine League (smugglers and independent traders), the Ivax Syndicate (a Hutt-led semi-criminal organization), the old Noble Houses of the sector, and the Kouhun assassin guild, they had enough forces to cause the sector governor a lot of problems.

Of course, that was after the Emperor was dead, so I'm not sure what forces they had early on.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Uprising counts in the larger scheme of things, but it's worth noting that the Uprising lore specifically states:

This is at a relatively state stage, too -- remember that the game starts post-Endor. So it would seem that the Rebels on Anoat never truly became part of the Rebel Alliance.